Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2016, 10:52 AM   #1

Upgrade to Pentax K 1?

I know this question has been asked many times before. I have enough in my budget to afford the K1 but would not be able to purchase any modern full frame lenses for another year or so. This means I would be using it in crop mode and with the the legacy glass from my K1000. Would I find an improvement in image quality (coming from the K5) or would the crop mode and older Pentax lenses take away from image quality significantly? I often shoot from a boat so I need optimal performance for handheld shooting.

07-30-2016, 11:07 AM - 1 Like   #2
KDD
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
50/1.8 and 35/2 4 are full frame. They are excellent.
07-30-2016, 01:08 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What lenses do you have? That's the first question. Besides that you should get more DR and a similar resolution to what you already have when in crop mode.
07-30-2016, 01:18 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The real improvement in image quality is when you do not crop.
Besides that, there should be a bunch of incremental improvements. No AA filter = better detail. Newer sensor. Better SR system. Better exposure metering. The new AF might help as well.

07-30-2016, 01:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If time's not pressing, hang on a while and wait for the price to drop a bit, perhaps pick up a used K-1.
07-30-2016, 01:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If it's going to be a year until you can afford lenses, maybe wait. But, if your budget is like mine (spend it now because it won't be available later), get it now and get the lenses later.
Since you already have some manual focus lenses from your K1000, you'll be doing fine.

When it comes to upgrading to the K-1, I have already decided on several lenses so the whole package comes to around $7500. That's my way of telling myself "not this year".
07-30-2016, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to Pentax Forums.

If you don't have a better use for the outlay, then the question becomes one about which lenses you already have. As noted, some DA lenses cover the full 35mm frame, and some others cover more than the APS-C frame. Aside from that, even if your lenses are all DA you'll still have benefits like faster, more accurate auto-focus and faster in-camera processing, along with GPS and Astrotracer, and wireless control.

07-30-2016, 09:49 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
When it comes to upgrading to the K-1, I have already decided on several lenses so the whole package comes to around $7500. That's my way of telling myself "not this year".
I can't tell the price I got for a full Pentax FF upgrade because competition may be reading PF. But, I'd strongly recommend to go to Ricoh Imaging dealer with an upgrade project, asking for bundle offer. When they want to, they can be dirty competitive. Now, I can't stop smiling when I read all those arguments about price based on official list prices.

---------- Post added 31-07-16 at 06:50 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
But, if your budget is like mine (spend it now because it won't be available later), get it now and get the lenses later.
If you want better prices, that exactly what not to do. You could/might get much better condition buying a package rather than buying one bit at a time.
07-31-2016, 01:45 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Depends on what lenses you have.
Many of the old lenses will suffice on the K1.
07-31-2016, 04:24 PM   #10
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I don't see anyone needing more than the K1 anytime soon. This might be a good time to get...and enjoy now...this great camera and build your lens collection around it and what you find your need to be. Your needs with the K1 maybe different than with an APS-C camera. I am going slow on the lenses until I know more of what my future K1 intentions are. Meanwhile, I am enjoying all the K1 benefits as I go along.

Regards!
07-31-2016, 07:16 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Buy tha K-1 and use your existing lenses. I only have one modern FF lens and two DA lenses. ALL the rest of my FF lenses are legacy manual focus and FA. The K-1 is so good that I've sold off (or have ready to sell) my K-3, K10D and nearly all my DA lenses.
08-01-2016, 02:22 AM - 1 Like   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by FV Notorious Quote
Would I find an improvement in image quality (coming from the K5) or would the crop mode and older Pentax lenses take away from image quality significantly? I often shoot from a boat so I need optimal performance for handheld shooting.
As someone who has recently gone from a K-5 to a K-1 I can tell you that the answer to this question is a resounding YES! I loved my K-5, but the K-1 is superior in every respect, even when using the same lenses. I recently tried my DA 50mm f1.8 (the cheap, plastic fantastic Pentax prime) and it is incredible, tack sharp out of the camera and absolutely no signs of vignetting when shooting full frame at f11. It's worth taking a look at Ricoh's extremely useful K-1 Laboratory and seeing how your current lenses fare on the K-1.

If you're regularly shooting from a boat then the K-1's 5-axis stabilisation system will prove very useful.
08-12-2016, 12:06 AM - 1 Like   #13

Original Poster
Thank you for all of the tips! I found out that my two favorite DA zooms will work at some focal lengths in FF thanks to the K-1 laboratory. I work seasonally in the fishing industry and get paid once a year so all major purchases are planned, this year it will be the K-1, next year a FF zoom!
08-12-2016, 12:54 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

There are many cheapish options for the K1, any of the F/FA series that have good ratings are worth the investment.
08-14-2016, 11:18 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by FV Notorious Quote
Thank you for all of the tips! I found out that my two favorite DA zooms will work at some focal lengths in FF thanks to the K-1 laboratory. I work seasonally in the fishing industry and get paid once a year so all major purchases are planned, this year it will be the K-1, next year a FF zoom!
Overall it depends if you will feel happy and satisfied using mainly (or exclusively) DA lenses on a FF camera. Personally I wouldn't, because I'd always feel I was falling short somehow. I guess this is my insecurity though (!) - after all, it'll be you taking the photos, not the gear you use. Anyway, I'd still prefer to wait until the price drops and I can afford 2-3 FF lenses to go with it... but if you can make it work for you, and won't feel like you're settling, go for it.