Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
08-05-2016, 10:28 PM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The white balance is definitely warmer.

Noise seems slightly better controlled on the K-1.

@Ken Pimontel
How did you develop the images?

Seems like you used ACR.
Given that Adobe applies different processing depending on the camera brand/model, I'd say it would be more reliable to use dcraw or perhaps RAW Therapee for noise comparisons.
I have installed dcraw on my linux station.
What command shoud I run?
Can I crop afterwards in Lightroom?

Thx!

Ken

08-06-2016, 04:59 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ken Pimontel Quote
What command shoud I run?
Try dcraw -W -M <image-file-name>

If that doesn't work, you may want to look at the manual page for dcraw.

You can try to add "-p" as an option, if you want to use the specific colour profiles the cameras provide.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ken Pimontel Quote
Can I crop afterwards in Lightroom?
Once the image is in JPG (or really anything other than RAW), LR should behave neutrally, so I think cropping will be fine.
08-14-2016, 02:42 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Using the Imaging Resources camera compare page, I see that the K1 at ISO 3200 has about the same noise as the K5IIs at ISO 1600. So, the K1 has at least a 1 stop advantage. ISO 6400 was definitely nosier, so a 2 stop advantage is a bridge too far.
  • The question that I would have then, with the K1 is the noise at ISO 3200 the same across the full frame as with shooting in the crop mode (on the K1)?

08-14-2016, 06:52 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
The question that I would have then, with the K1 is the noise at ISO 3200 the same across the full frame as with shooting in the crop mode (on the K1)?
No, in crop mode the K-1's image noise is about a stop worse than in full-frame mode because it is not using half of the light it could collect.

Noise at the level of an individual pixel is of course the same, but in the full-frame image more than double as many pixels are used to form an image compared to an APS-C crop.

That's were the "ISO advantage" of the K-1 is coming from.

08-14-2016, 07:05 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
No, in crop mode the K-1's image noise is about a stop worse than in full-frame mode because it is not using half of the light it could collect.

Noise at the level of an individual pixel is of course the same, but in the full-frame image more than double as many pixels are used to form an image compared to an APS-C crop.

That's were the "ISO advantage" of the K-1 is coming from.
Thanks!! Where I was going with this is that then there would be a possible advantage to shooting with DA lenses in full frame mode, then cropping in post processing. I would think that then, you should get at least some of the full frame advantage.

08-14-2016, 07:26 PM   #36
Pentaxian

I would think that then, you should get at least some of the full frame advantage.
You will, but only if the DA lens allows you to capture more than the APS-C frame it was designed for. If you have to crop to APS-C dimensions in post (in order to avoid image deterioration towards the borders) then you might as well just shoot in crop mode to begin with.
08-14-2016, 11:50 PM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
And yet another fine thread degenerates into total light boll*cks ...

08-15-2016, 12:34 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks!! Where I was going with this is that then there would be a possible advantage to shooting with DA lenses in full frame mode, then cropping in post processing. I would think that then, you should get at least some of the full frame advantage.

That is what I do most of the time, and quite a few of the crop format lenses do perform well at images larger than APS-C, but smaller than FF. However, that is the subject of another thread or two.
08-15-2016, 03:02 AM - 1 Like   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
And yet another fine thread degenerates into total light boll*cks ...
What do you think happens when you shoot a larger sensor? One of two things, of course, either you have more pixels of equal size to your APS-C camera or, you have the same number of much bigger pixels. Either way, your performance is better with a larger sensor than with a smaller sensor.

I shoot with APS-C and full frame and am far from a being a full frame advocate. APS-C is more than adequate for most folks, but there is still no doubt that when you print an image (the gold standard in my book) a K-1 high iso image will wipe up the floor with a K3 or K5 II image. It really doesn't matter if you say that it is because the K-1 has more total light or more pixels or just a secret magic chip that lets it shoot better in low light, it just does better, by a little over a stop.
08-15-2016, 09:00 AM   #40
Veteran Member

That is not what this thread was about. Any IQ improvement is just a result of the rescaling process. You could get the same by stitching two APS shots and then rescaling the image.