Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2016, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
First try at doing video on the K-1

I've had my K-1 for a few months so far, but have never played with the video feature. Hell it took me 5 minutes to figure out how to get it into video mode. lol Anyways, went to the local steam show this weekend and decided just for fun, to do a couple of clips to see how the K1 did. Lens used - Sigma 105mm Macro Should note, all default settings in camera...

07-31-2016, 04:46 PM   #2
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ta for posting, the quality of the picture wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, so I guess video is useful for certain subjects.

I must admit that whilst watching that on a 27" screen I felt a bit dizzy when you got close to the rotating wheel.

Tas
07-31-2016, 06:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
Ta for posting, the quality of the picture wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, so I guess video is useful for certain subjects.

I must admit that whilst watching that on a 27" screen I felt a bit dizzy when you got close to the rotating wheel.

Tas
I can totally see that being a problem at 27". A few of those clips I thought were interesting. The second clip, the SR seemed to keep the engine still, but the background was dancing all about. This one when running was actually dancing about, so I find it strange that it wasn't dancing, but the background was. The last one was funny, as the wheel seems to keep changing direction. I guess it just was running at about the right speed to sort of match the FPS of the video.
07-31-2016, 06:33 PM   #4

To be honest, i still don't know where the video function is! I remember looking for it once and feeling really dumb not being able to figure it out within a couple minutes...! Didn't need it luckily and expectations are low. I've got a hacked Panasonic GH2 just for video

07-31-2016, 07:02 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eliphas Quote
To be honest, i still don't know where the video function is! I remember looking for it once and feeling really dumb not being able to figure it out within a couple minutes...! Didn't need it luckily and expectations are low. I've got a hacked Panasonic GH2 just for video
It's under the new mode dial on the top of the camera. Small rotating switch right under it. Easy to miss, trust me!!! lol
08-01-2016, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
The second clip, the SR seemed to keep the engine still, but the background was dancing all about. This one when running was actually dancing about, so I find it strange that it wasn't dancing, but the background was.
That's the electronic shake reduction in play. The camera takes a mild crop of the image, and tries to stabilize the majority of the scene, which in this case is the engine, but then the background shifts around. Another tell-tale sign is the rolling shutter "jello cam" effect you can see in the engine -- if it were stable, then you wouldn't see it wobble. Probably best to have SR off in this circumstance.

Looks like a fun show!
08-01-2016, 01:31 PM   #7
Forum Member

Glad I'm not the only one that couldn't find the video switch. Took me 15 min and 5 more min reading the manual twice !!!