Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2016, 12:42 PM   #136
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
Even on vacation, this can be an issue. I was on a long trip and recently dropped my FA50 f/1.7. The mount bent slightly and I was unable to use it for the remainder of the trip; fortunately, it was on the second to last day so I was able to live without it (FA77 could substitute) and was using it the least among my lenses on the trip. Still, if it had been 2 days into the trip, I would not be able to replace it. I'd have to order an FA50 f/1.4 or DA*55 to replace it, neither of which I'm familiar with. I then handled my FA*24 like it was a child. No way I can replace that on the trip; even replacing it when returning home would be a struggle.

And sure, you can say "Be careful." I am. Accidents happen. People who aren't paying attention can run into you when you're shooting and knock you over, causing your gear to hit the ground. Replacing those rare and semi-rare lenses when you're in the field...not happening. It is a disadvantage.
These are handy. I use the 100 AW and larger 200 AW versions . . .

S&F Lens Exchange Case 100 AW Camera bags, backpacks and rolling cases

08-14-2016, 12:43 PM   #137
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
What irks is that we planned and worked for 40 years to be comfortable now - and those who didn't and aren't resent that we did and are.
There is the possibility that some resent your assumption that everyone had the same opportunities
08-14-2016, 01:04 PM   #138
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
There is the possibility that some resent your assumption that everyone had the same opportunities
You're right mohb. They were weighed down with all the payments on their new houses, cars and toys. The opportunity to save for the future ran right by them.
08-14-2016, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #139
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The K-1 is a huge mistake by Ricoh/Pentax. And I'm a very happy victim.

Kjell

08-14-2016, 01:18 PM   #140
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is all the absolute truth

QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
That's rich. This is America. My brother-in-law came here from England in 1976 for the 'opportunity' to earn a Ph.D. and teach college. He saw no future in England.

My grandfather had a sixth grade education and plowed land behind a mule until 1930; he to took advantage of the 'opportunity' to get a union job in the city to send money back to the farm and worked it until the day he died. My father took advantage of the 'opportunity' and enlisted at 16 and did all that WWII thing. After the war he got a GED and went to some college on the GI Bill. He sold office supplies most of his life.

I grew up in a small house in a racially integrated community; went to public school until someone saw me playing junior football. I took advantage of the 'opportunity' and earned academic scholarships to a high school, where I studied hard enough to be a National Merit Scholar.

I went to a very good college - I admit, but I paid for it. I worked as a deckhand on the Mississippi River all four summers, and 15 hours each week at college; I never had a car; dates were walking on campus. I earned my room rent as the House Manager in a fraternity, meaning I cleaned up after the kids with money every morning. I had no student loans. I am the first person in my entire family to have a High School diploma and the first to have a college diploma.

Which 'opportunity' did I have? The 'opportunity' to study hard and work hard and save and improve my life and that of my children, just as my father did for me and his for him? And I should feel guilty for doing it, or understand others' resentment?

Last edited by monochrome; 08-14-2016 at 01:42 PM.
08-14-2016, 01:50 PM   #141
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

@Rupert :Sometimes in life we encounter people whom we respect, whose work we admire and aspire to equal (with humble recognition that we likely won't) but we accept that we approach parts of the world from different perspectives; we will disagree on things, and that's OK.

What irks is that we planned and worked for 40 years to be comfortable now - and those who didn't and aren't resent that we did and are.
I think it is what was written in stone so many years ago....#10, last but not least in a list of rules for a happier more joyful life.

"Thou shalt not covet"

Still as valid today as ever, and still as neglected as ever. This is not to say that there aren't those through no fault of their own are deprived and struggling. We know those and recognize our own blessings. We do also recognize those that let envy destroy their own joy and wreck their relationships.

Regards!
08-14-2016, 01:55 PM   #142
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Which 'opportunity' did I have? The 'opportunity' to study hard and work hard and save and improve my life and that of my children, just as my father did for me and his for him? And I should feel guilty for doing it, or understand others' resentment?
That's a rather blinkered view of how society works, what about all those who worked and saved and had it stolen by crooked bankers (who could afford cupboards full of Leicas) and assorted financial institutions.

Closed Thread