Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2016, 07:58 PM - 4 Likes   #1

A few Astrotracer shots taken with my K1

Astrophotography with the Pentax K1 - Samuel Dixon Photography

My first attempt at astrophotography, it's pretty fun!

08-15-2016, 09:19 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Love the colors on these. I hadn't really considered how the sensor might respond to H-alpha and other sky emissions, looks like decent detail. If you have a telephoto it would be good to see Sagittarius (Messiers 8 and 20) up close for more spectral hints..
08-15-2016, 09:54 PM - 1 Like   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by SamuelDixon Quote

Nice work!
08-16-2016, 01:15 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Really nice shots - especially as it's your first time

08-16-2016, 01:31 AM - 1 Like   #5

wow, really nice! I've got to have a go with astrotracer one of these days.
08-16-2016, 02:06 AM - 1 Like   #6

These are really good! I'm heading to South Wales at the end of the month and will hopefully dark (and clear!) skies that will allow me to give Astrotracer a try.
08-16-2016, 03:25 AM - 1 Like   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice foreground in the first shot!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-16-2016, 06:18 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Nice work! What lens did you use? Looks pretty wide.
08-16-2016, 06:37 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carolina_sky Quote
Nice work! What lens did you use? Looks pretty wide.
Was using the 15-30mm 2.8

---------- Post added 08-16-16 at 07:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Love the colors on these. I hadn't really considered how the sensor might respond to H-alpha and other sky emissions, looks like decent detail. If you have a telephoto it would be good to see Sagittarius (Messiers 8 and 20) up close for more spectral hints..
I don't have any telephoto lenses for this K1, using it for pretty much only landscape stuff.

---------- Post added 08-16-16 at 07:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MikePlunkett Quote
These are really good! I'm heading to South Wales at the end of the month and will hopefully dark (and clear!) skies that will allow me to give Astrotracer a try.
It seems to work pretty well. The longest exposure I did was 40 seconds, next time out I'll try to do a longer exposure just to test the limits.
08-16-2016, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter

Was using the 15-30mm 2.8
Here's a milky way shot I took using 15-30. I did not try the Astro setting (too much going on in the foreground here). So this was 20s exposure @3200 ISO
Just playing around. One of these days I need to try one with Astro. This is obviously fairly heavily edited in Lightroom.
Attached Images

08-18-2016, 08:33 AM   #11

Question about settings

Your shots are really awesome. I was out a week ago trying to get the astro stuff to work on my K1, but I couldn't get it working. I tried from my deck last night and also don't see the correct star following results. Can you tell me if I have my camera setup correctly? If not, what am I missing?

I did the calibration and GPS is on and locked in. I am in manual focus mode. I am at ISO 1600, time is 1 minute 10 seconds. I am zoomed way in and have the shutter stopped down because there is so much ambient light from my deck. The camera is on a tripod. The image is showing the star streak.

If you have any tips, I would appreciate them. I am heading to the coast this weekend and want to take more pictures out there. I have taken some at high iso for 30s and they look pretty good I would really like to use this astro feature.

Thanks,

Jim
08-18-2016, 10:08 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jsimmermon Quote
Your shots are really awesome. I was out a week ago trying to get the astro stuff to work on my K1, but I couldn't get it working. I tried from my deck last night and also don't see the correct star following results. Can you tell me if I have my camera setup correctly? If not, what am I missing?

I did the calibration and GPS is on and locked in. I am in manual focus mode. I am at ISO 1600, time is 1 minute 10 seconds. I am zoomed way in and have the shutter stopped down because there is so much ambient light from my deck. The camera is on a tripod. The image is showing the star streak.

If you have any tips, I would appreciate them. I am heading to the coast this weekend and want to take more pictures out there. I have taken some at high iso for 30s and they look pretty good I would really like to use this astro feature.

Thanks,

Jim
Are you in Bulb mode? Not sure what to tell you sadly. Just make sure you are in Bulb mode, astrotracer is turned on, and the GPS is properly calibrated. I always do the 2 second delay on the shutter as well to prevent any shake from touching the camera.