Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fun shots! Well done.

08-21-2016, 07:58 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These excellent shots make me say, "I gotta get me that K-1."

Of course, while I DO gotta get me that K-1, what I really need is your talent! Great shots, thanks for posting them.
08-22-2016, 12:39 AM   #18
Site Supporter

a few terrific shots.... quite a few with fuzzy focus, but the keepers are worth it.

Glad someone asked the vignetting question, not a fan of it, but different strokes for different folks. =)

Glad you are enjoying your camera.
08-22-2016, 05:54 AM - 2 Likes   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
And " they " say Pentax is no good for sports photography !!! " THEY " are going to have to change their minds methinks. Excellent series.

08-23-2016, 01:38 AM   #20

Unfortunately the work machine I'm using right now doesn't let me see Flickr hosted images, so I shall take everyone else's word for how great these shots are

Just out of curiosity (and, by way of a disclaimer, this is in no way intended as a troll or to start an argument) what proportion of the images you took could be considered keepers? I'm a firm believer in using the K-1 for action/sports photography and just wondered what sort of success rate other users were getting (for comparison, the 994 shots I took at this year's Farnborough Air Show yielded 161 that were worth further processing, but that low hit rate is almost certainly more down to me than the equipment!)
08-28-2016, 04:02 AM - 5 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I strongly oppose doing statistics as that is not my approach at all. But the technocratic non-keeper rate was certainly less than 10% on all shots excluding my tries on panning. Panning I was so bad, I got only about 1 out of 12 in the quality I wanted. But that really has nothing to do with the equipment. That is purely my incapability that needs a lot more practise.

My personal aim is to get somewhere between 10 and 30 "keepers" out of any photographic activity. Neither me nor my friends and family are interested in watching slideshows of dozens or hundreds of images flying past at 1 pic/second.
When I was a child I had to endure "slideshow evenings" of my family. Not enjoyable.

The above target number range is regardless of the event being a 14 day vacation or a half day trip. It's also regardless of my having shot 40 shots or 3,000 originally. I want a dozen or two nice images, no more, and I am happy. One good roll of film, so to say.
09-07-2016, 07:16 PM   #22
Veteran Member

These are great pictures.

02-25-2017, 12:14 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
The above target number range is regardless of the event being a 14 day vacation or a half day trip. It's also regardless of my having shot 40 shots or 3,000 originally. I want a dozen or two nice images, no more, and I am happy. One good roll of film, so to say.
People seem to want to get 90% hit rate for sports. That is utter nonsense.

In the late 1970's and early 1980's I did some amateur sports shooting for a local newspaper, and the expected hit rate of printable photos with decent action was 2/36. Two shots on a roll of 36 exposures. That was much harder to achieve than you might think. To get printed in Canada's 3rd best rated weekly newspaper sports section the shots had to be very good indeed. It took months of training by the editor before I got anywhere near a good take. My pride and joy clipping is two vertical side by side full height front page of the sports section from a local school sports meet.

AF? On a film MX? nah. Never used AF when I was stringing - the camera didn't have it, and when it did I didn't have any AF lenses. And the pride and joy shot? Original Pentax with preset lenses and no meter. Takumar preset 135/3.5.

To the OP: Superb shots!
02-25-2017, 02:22 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Nice shots. I particularly like the first one...where you have a row of racers in their helmets at the start line...waiting for the flag to drop. Great use of depth of field.

---------- Post added 02-25-17 at 03:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by marinhaker Quote

Great shots of the Jeep as it rockets up the hill...with tires churning...lot's of colour and action.
02-25-2017, 05:45 PM   #25
Veteran Member

A question for the OP - What was your approximate rejection rate for the shots of a motorcycle coming straight at you? In their review of the K-1 DPReview got 85% rejections with their shots of a bicyclist coming straight at the camera. Based on the sheer number of such photos you posted I'm guessing you got far less that. Could this possibly mean the DPR folks didn't use the camera correctly??? Sarcasm fully intended.
02-25-2017, 06:43 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wanderer2 Quote
A question for the OP - What was your approximate rejection rate for the shots of a motorcycle coming straight at you? In their review of the K-1 DPReview got 85% rejections with their shots of a bicyclist coming straight at the camera. Based on the sheer number of such photos you posted I'm guessing you got far less that. Could this possibly mean the DPR folks didn't use the camera correctly??? Sarcasm fully intended.
In the DPR test the bicyclist was not coming straight at the camera. It was weaving left and right, in and out of the focus frame, causing the 70~200/2.8 zoom to repeatedly focus to infinity, then have to reacquire focus as the bicycle crossed through the stationary focus area from one side to the other.

As I wrote at the time, if your use case is to lock a FF camera on a tripod, slap on a 70~200 f/2.8 zoom at f/2.8 and shoot a weaving bicyclist on the z-axis at moderate speed - don't buy a Pentax!
02-26-2017, 08:28 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
I am very pleased with how the JPGs came out.
Great pro class images. And they are JPEGs!. Wow. I think you have found a new calling!

FYI, I assisted a high-paid Canon shooting motor cross pro back in 2004-2005. Your stuff is just as good as his if not better! We shot under rain a few times and we used to Saran (plastic) wrap the cameras and the lenses just to make sure water did not get in there. Try to take a CF card out of a camera that is heavily wrapped in plastic. What a crazy idea. There is no such "water might get in problem" with Pentax bodies or lenses. We used one lens for very long shots which is missing from the Pentax lineup, that was the 400 f2.8. Otherwise, Pentax has the 15-30, 24-70 and the 70-200 which were the focal lengths we used on almost 95% of the shots.

---------- Post added 02-26-17 at 07:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by marinhaker Quote

Great shots. They have a magical 3D look to them. What is the camera and the lens did you use?
02-27-2017, 04:03 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
There is no such "water might get in problem" with Pentax bodies or lenses.
Of course there is. That Pentax equipment is sealed well doesn't mean there are no reports of water ingress after rain. At the same time, Canon's and Nikon's professional cameras (e.g. D5 and 1 Dx II) are sealed just as well as anything Pentax makes.
02-27-2017, 08:07 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Of course there is. That Pentax equipment is sealed well doesn't mean there are no reports of water ingress after rain.
You are absolutely right. You can never be sure. Personally, I would not expose my cameras to rain intentionally. If it happens to rain in the middle of an outdoor shoot, at least I know there is some level of protection vs. something that is not WR like my FA Limited babies.

BTW, the example of the saran wrapped cameras was with EOS 1 series high end Canon cameras and all L lenses. I guess my friend did not feel confident or did not want to risk exposing the gear to rain.
02-27-2017, 12:04 PM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Great pro class images. And they are JPEGs!. Wow. I think you have found a new calling!

FYI, I assisted a high-paid Canon shooting motor cross pro back in 2004-2005. Your stuff is just as good as his if not better! We shot under rain a few times and we used to Saran (plastic) wrap the cameras and the lenses just to make sure water did not get in there. Try to take a CF card out of a camera that is heavily wrapped in plastic. What a crazy idea. There is no such "water might get in problem" with Pentax bodies or lenses. We used one lens for very long shots which is missing from the Pentax lineup, that was the 400 f2.8. Otherwise, Pentax has the 15-30, 24-70 and the 70-200 which were the focal lengths we used on almost 95% of the shots.

---------- Post added 02-26-17 at 07:30 AM ----------

Great shots. They have a magical 3D look to them. What is the camera and the lens did you use?
pentax k-1, pentax 24-70/2.8