Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-31-2016, 02:37 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dull noise from new K-1 when moving it ..

I've just received a new K-1 and out of the box, with no battery etc., I noticed a dull, noticeable sound as though a 'unit' (ie not a small item like a screw), was moving around or gently sliding about. This did not happen with the previous bodies I've owned. Any cause for concern ? When powered up and a lens attached it appears to work OK.

Also the rubber mic plug was bent badly back and does not seat properly. I'll gently try to get this to re-seat, but this will effect the waterproofing if it doesn't stay in place, I assume.

08-31-2016, 02:43 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What other bodies have you owned? Any others with Shake Reduction? Sometimes that causes a small shift inside - I know it happens with my K-5. That sliding sound seems like the giveaway. If so, this is perfectly normal for SR-equipped Pentax cameras but it can cause a moment of consternation for those with earlier bodies (e.g. coming up from an *ist-series camera) or lateral entries from Nikon and Canon.
08-31-2016, 02:45 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yeah, this is normal. The clunk sound is there in all Pentax cameras with SR, but it's a bit easier to notice on the K-1 since the sensor assembly is so much bigger.

As for the flap, if it appears deformed I'd get it replaced just to be safe. Should be a cheap part!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-31-2016, 02:48 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
What other bodies have you owned? Any others with Shake Reduction? Sometimes that causes a small shift inside - I know it happens with my K-5. That sliding sound seems like the giveaway. If so, this is perfectly normal for SR-equipped Pentax cameras but it can cause a moment of consternation for those with earlier bodies (e.g. coming up from an *ist-series camera) or lateral entries from Nikon and Canon.
K3 and K5

08-31-2016, 03:01 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is normal.

Last edited by Schraubstock; 11-15-2016 at 03:11 AM.
08-31-2016, 03:02 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
K3 and K5
Then you haven’t examined them close enough, they do have the same sliding sensor mechanism inside. And there are lots of questions about “something being loose inside” for them as well.
08-31-2016, 03:04 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
This is normal.

Mmmm. A case of RTFM, i suspect on my part. I suspected it was the SR, but it is so much louder than previous Pentax cameras.

---------- Post added 08-31-16 at 11:04 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yeah, this is normal. The clunk sound is there in all Pentax cameras with SR, but it's a bit easier to notice on the K-1 since the sensor assembly is so much bigger.

As for the flap, if it appears deformed I'd get it replaced just to be safe. Should be a cheap part!

Thanks Adam, I suspected this but it is a lot louder.

08-31-2016, 03:35 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
it's a bit easier to notice on the K-1 since the sensor assembly is so much bigger.
And moves in more axes as well.
08-31-2016, 04:10 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
And moves in more axes as well.
No, K1 compensate for 5 axis of camera shake.
But the sensor movement is still only 3 axis, just as on earlier bodies. (up/down, left-right and rotation).
08-31-2016, 05:09 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter

Also the rubber mic plug was bent badly back and does not seat properly. I'll gently try to get this to re-seat, but this will effect the waterproofing if it doesn't stay in place, I assume.
So I'm not the only one who can't get that flap to stay in!
08-31-2016, 06:46 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Same issue here. Been thinking about adding just a touch of glue (I won't be using it).
08-31-2016, 07:35 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by carolina_sky Quote
Same issue here. Been thinking about adding just a touch of glue (I won't be using it).
Same issue here, but I'm not sending it in for that. Using glue sounds permanent and it might cause the rubber to deteriorate with time, eh? Anybody else have any ideas about sealing it off when not in use? It bothers me more than the SR clunk (that reminds me to be gentle with it). But wow, what a camera! Lovin' it.
08-31-2016, 10:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Mine catches on things such as my equipment bag and pulls out.

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
No, you are not!

QuoteOriginally posted by carolina_sky Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Slash392 Quote
Same issue here, but I'm not sending it in for that. Using glue sounds permanent and it might cause the rubber to deteriorate with time, eh? Anybody else have any ideas about sealing it off when not in use? It bothers me more than the SR clunk (that reminds me to be gentle with it).
I think I'll resign myself to pushing it back in occasionally.
09-01-2016, 04:03 AM   #14
Site Supporter

I've thought of using a touch of rubber cement since I will not be using it, but I will wait for my warranty to be up.
01-20-2017, 06:09 AM   #15

I noticed this sliding noise on my K70 when tilting from landscape to portrait and vice versa. I imagine that's normal?