Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2016, 02:58 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Interesting comparison to K1

Pentax K-1 vs Canon 5D Mark IV Detailed Comparison

08-31-2016, 03:08 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Canon 5D mk IV doesn't look excited at all if you just look at the specs. But nobody knows, maybe it will be an awesome performer.

Canon has a huge user base, huge amount of amazing lenses, flashes, customer support etc, so it is enough for them come up with just above decent camera and it will still sell like crazy.
08-31-2016, 03:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Try the DPR test chart comparison in stead. Try ISO 25600 and compare 5D mark IV with K-1 both with and without pixel shift. Look around the image to see how both handles different colors, and how they compare in Jpeg vs Raw.

In my opinion the Canon does a lot more noise/detail cancelling in jpeg and slightly more in raw mode. The Canon also seems to mute the contrast in order to reduce noise in raw mode. Pentax are more noisy with most colors but also more contrasty and detailed. In pixel shift mode the K-1 wins hand down on all areas as expected.
08-31-2016, 03:36 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

no flippy screen seems a major omision. Love it on the K-1..... wouldn't go back now. No more yoga for me..... might as well go out stiff to save on any transitional issue.

Last edited by noelpolar; 08-31-2016 at 04:32 AM.
08-31-2016, 04:08 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
Canon 5D mk IV doesn't look excited at all if you just look at the specs. But nobody knows, maybe it will be an awesome performer.

Canon has a huge user base, huge amount of amazing lenses, flashes, customer support etc, so it is enough for them come up with just above decent camera and it will still sell like crazy.
This is exactly the point. Since they already have a huge user base, Canon only needs to be "good enough" to sell truck loads of cameras. The 5D may not look that exciting on paper, but it doesn't have any weak points either (apart the price!).

That said, if we look outside the specs, the 5D is probably the best "good for everything" camera on the market, although there are better cameras in specific areas. It may not have the IQ of the K1, but have a more advanced AF system, a much better flash system, and CPS alone can be enough to make it a better choice for people getting an income with their cameras. It's also quite easy to rent Canon lenses to do a specific job, not so with Pentax. For a professional needing a camera he can rely on to do any job, the 5D is hard to beat and a really safe bet.
08-31-2016, 04:15 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Costs $$$ and no flippy cool screen!
08-31-2016, 04:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
and a really safe bet.
So true...... a very beige camera!

08-31-2016, 06:33 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the 5D is hard to beat and a really safe bet.
Very true. The saying used to be nobody got fired for buying IBM. That holds true here as well. It might not be the best, or even be close to cutting edge. But it is very 'safe'.
08-31-2016, 05:37 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

My decision 5 years ago to opt for Pentax, after much research and weighing of features, still looks good to me. But there aren't really too many bad cameras around these days, just ones that suit your requirements to varying degrees. I'm not fussed about video, though I do envy the support Canon shooters get from 3rd party lens manufacturers.
08-31-2016, 05:49 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
though I do envy the support Canon shooters get from 3rd party lens manufacturers.
Thats generally the no 1 reason I'd point some people wanting a DSLR to Nikon.
09-02-2016, 09:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

This is exactly the point. Since they already have a huge user base, Canon only needs to be "good enough" to sell truck loads of cameras. The 5D may not look that exciting on paper, but it doesn't have any weak points either (apart the price!).

That said, if we look outside the specs, the 5D is probably the best "good for everything" camera on the market, although there are better cameras in specific areas. It may not have the IQ of the K1, but have a more advanced AF system, a much better flash system, and CPS alone can be enough to make it a better choice for people getting an income with their cameras. It's also quite easy to rent Canon lenses to do a specific job, not so with Pentax. For a professional needing a camera he can rely on to do any job, the 5D is hard to beat and a really safe bet.
It seems like theres a bit of drama in videoographers scene though. People complaining about codec and crop. Photo side seems fine, probably will be a great performer
09-07-2016, 06:19 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote

I think price is more of an issue than anything. If the 5D mk IV was priced in the range of K1 then I'd say it is a bargain.

Side note I sometimes hear people say they wish Canon was using Sony sensors but I am glad to see another big company using their own sensors. We don't want the entire industry letting Sony just have a monopoly on that.
09-07-2016, 07:34 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by richmondthefish Quote
I think price is more of an issue than anything. If the 5D mk IV was priced in the range of K1 then I'd say it is a bargain.

Side note I sometimes hear people say they wish Canon was using Sony sensors but I am glad to see another big company using their own sensors. We don't want the entire industry letting Sony just have a monopoly on that.
If mkIV was 4000$ (or more), it would still sell like crazy. Canon (and Nikon) has an amazing and complete system and people will pay pretty much any price to use it. Pentax can't price their products in that range, cuz their system is far far from being complete.
09-07-2016, 08:58 AM   #14
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I bought the K1 for the same reason the Canon guys buy the Canons. I like Pentax, they like Canon. I also like my cash and want to manage it responsibly....the K1 does this with ease, the Canon doesn't.

From the looks of the comparison, I'd say I am considerably smarter than the Canon guys...if their needs are similar to mine?

As an old squirrel shooter, I learned a long time ago that if you are going to feed an Army of Squirrels, you'd better think as smart as a squirrel with your cash!

Regards!
09-07-2016, 09:14 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Don't think 5D IV was suppose to be a bargain. As mentioned above, people invested into canon systems would probably appreciate the upgrade over 5D III. I believe their pre-orders are doing very well? Last I heard anyway. I personally know at least two that already paid for their units.

Also, considering that resale value of 5D III is relatively high, upgrading will cost pretty similar to a cost of K-1.