Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
09-30-2016, 03:36 AM   #76
Veteran Member

They should. Just mind-boggling why it works with PS with that 4-frame series. So at some level it can be done obviously.

09-30-2016, 05:02 AM   #77
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
It already works for PS and would significantly extend shutter lifespan.
Do you realise that the shutter is still operated even when ES is turned on?

The shutter always closes mechanically after a single capture. ES is only a means to avoid shutter-induced blur from the opening of the shutter (i.e., the first curtain).

You wouldn't be able to save shutter actuations if Pentax had enabled ES for multi-exposure with continuous shooting.

Whoa...that is messed up then. Because I mean shooting 100 exposure series with continuous shooting.
Have you considered that there might be a good reason for disabling ES in this case?

Do you realise that there are downsides to using an electronic shutter?

I can imagine that Pentax decided that the use of a continuous shooting mode involves so much camera vibration (shutter & mirror) that there is no advantage to enabling ES but one would get all the disadvantages anyhow.

Out of curiosity, what is a typical application for multi-exposure with continuous shooting? Wouldn't it be better to do the combination of frames in post-processing anyhow?
09-30-2016, 06:07 AM   #78
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Do you realise that the shutter is still operated even when ES is turned on?
I guess he does since he wrote: "Why not implement fully electronic for multiexposures? It already works for PS and would significantly extend shutter lifespan."
09-30-2016, 07:58 AM   #79
Veteran Member

Yea...Sony has option between full (silent), EFCS and mechanical in R2. Silent shutter is like silent. This is why they are a blessing for timelapse folks.

Now the ES option feels like 50% done and leaves room for speculation.

09-30-2016, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #80
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think continuous multi-exposure in full time ES is called video.

But I could be wrong.
09-30-2016, 04:37 PM   #81
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I think continuous multi-exposure in full time ES is called video.
While this may seem like a flippant remark, it is actually quite spot on.

Full electronic shutters for sensors like in the K-1 cause ghosting and blur which isn't that bad for video but isn't conducive to high quality still image capture.

If full ES worked well in general then why built in a mechanical shutter at all?
09-30-2016, 04:42 PM   #82
Veteran Member

If it was that bad pixel shift files would be totally ruined every time. There you have 4x continuous full ES exposures. It would work well with timelapses and cases where tens or hundreds of exposures will be averaged.

09-30-2016, 05:23 PM   #83
Pentaxian

If it was that bad pixel shift files would be totally ruined every time. There you have 4x continuous full ES exposures.
PixelShift is meant to work with still scenes only. In this case, there is no motion that could cause ghosting and blur.

It would work well with timelapses and cases where tens or hundreds of exposures will be averaged.
If you are thinking of scenes that have at least some fixed portion while the rest is supposed to be rendered in a blur, I guess full ES could work well.

You may succeed in convincing Ricoh that full ES has its applications even for still photography if you describe those applications and why the downsides of full ES do not apply to them.
09-30-2016, 05:51 PM   #84
Veteran Member

Well yes, I used silent shutter countless times with my A7R2 with no problems when doing average stacks. And yes, partly fixed objects, partly blur. I know very well few timelapse-guys who do milky-way stuff with silent shutter and they do not mind small imperfections.

My K-1's shutter count runs somewhere @ 20 000 I think right now thanks to ah-so-addictive in-camera multiexposures
09-30-2016, 07:16 PM   #85
Pentaxian

My K-1's shutter count runs somewhere @ 20 000 I think right now thanks to ah-so-addictive in-camera multiexposures

Roughly 280,000 still to go, but I can see that at that rate you are concerned about shutter life.
10-07-2016, 06:14 AM   #86
Veteran Member

A recently added page on the main features of firmware v1.3 on the Pentax Japan K-1 web page (in English):

Function Expand Firmware | PENTAX K-1 | RICOH IMAGING