Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-19-2016, 04:50 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Penumbra Quote
Again, i don't think it has anything to do with Lightroom or it's versions or routing the photo through Lightroom to get that lens info in Flickr.

Same lens that had lens info in Flickr also had Lens correction profile autofilled by LR, if the option was checked.

Same lens that didn't have info in Flickr also needed manual input of lens name in the LR profile correction.

I also don't think it has anything to do with the newer versions of info where somewhat personal data might be stored. A new lens, like the 20-40 ltd. does show it's name in the Flickr postings.
It is very strange - as I say, one user seems to have lens data for the 70-200 showing on Flickr, but he uses LR 6 - I don't, and nor does another user of recent lens (150-450) -and he uses 5.7, like me. I just wonder if latest LR has the lens profiles pre-loaded - 5.7 doesn't have them on the option list, of course, as they are newer than it is. On the other hand, the data for my very old (Pentax F) macro, is transmitted it Flickr.

Next experiment - attach the new 24-70 to the K-3 - no lens data other than focal length actually used. It seems to me be something to do with the new lenses and older or no LR?

09-19-2016, 06:14 AM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Enigmaticca Quote
Are your uploads in-camera JPG's?

I'm not seeing lens info for in-camera JPG images however my RAW files exported from ACR or PTX DCU (which does not show the Sigma lens info either) are correctly showing lens info for my K-1 pics with PTX DFA and Sigma lenses. I have not added anything with ExifTool or other.

Using Mac OS X 10.11.6. Raw originals are in DNG format.
more data

I shoot jpg

my computer is a pc
09-19-2016, 08:09 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just Did a test upload of Jpegs here at work

Last week I took some photos of a machine we we are testing where I work. The photos were taken with my K-3 and an smc PENTAX-DA 35mm F2.4 AL. The first link shows the lens data and the second link shows no data. first link Pic_0003 | Larry Mc | Flickr second link Pic_0003 | Larry Mc | Flickr the first link I used ExifToolGUI and the second was not converted. Both photos are SOOC with no processing the extended EXIF data in the first photo shows lens model and the extended EXIF data in the second one shows no lens model. The only thing I did was run ExifToolGui on the first photo. use the tool and there is no hit or miss with Flickr........don't use it and possibly it might show and possibly not. I use Sigma and Pentax lens and both show the lens model in the EXIF data on Flickr. I started using the tool around the first of this year and have not updated my older photos to reflect the tool data.

So instead of all this analysis why not try the tool its free and easy to use to batch edit every photo in a folder. You can not upload directly from an SD card to Flickr you must upload to a folder first then convert and then to Flickr. It works for both Jpegs and DNG files. BTW, this is an .exe so it only works with a PC.

Larry
09-19-2016, 09:23 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you upload a JPEG direct from the camera, the lens info will not be shown.

If you run it through Lightroom--JPEG or RAW--then it will show, as long as Lightroom recognizes the lens. It does so with all Pentax lenses but I've found that it can't peg Sigma lenses, at least not without help. If you go to load a profile and merely select "Manufacturer: Sigma," then it will auto identify the lens (or has with the two I've owned).

You can adjust the lens name directly with Windows Explorer. Right click the image -> properties and you can view EXIF. There's a section for "Lens Model" and Manufacturer. You can fill those in and that is what will show up in Flickr. I do this because I don't like the formatting of the lens name Flickr uses (it's Pentax's official one but I think it looks goofy).

09-19-2016, 10:10 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
well, I've looked at the EXIF on a couple of dozen pictures on K-1 groups on Flickr and the new lenses are only identified if LR 6 or EXIFtools are used. LR5 can identify older lenses, Photoshop tends to only show the make. I can on;y assume that LR 6 has a built in version of something like EXIFtools, OR has profiles for the new lenses pre-programmed in. LR 5 has older lenses programmed in, so they show up in Flickr. It's the only logical explanation I can make of all the bits of evidence.
09-19-2016, 11:07 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
more data

I shoot jpg

my computer is a pc
Hello Aslyfox

I downloaded one of your pictures from (birds ducks and swans) and and it has full exif information.

Ricoh imaging company
camera K3

lens Tamron AF70-300mm 4-5.6 LD Macro
09-19-2016, 01:17 PM   #22
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Crooski Quote
Hello Aslyfox

I downloaded one of your pictures from (birds ducks and swans) and and it has full exif information.

Ricoh imaging company
camera K3

lens Tamron AF70-300mm 4-5.6 LD Macro
did you down load it from the pentax forum or flickr.com?

by the way, i'm a paper and pencil/pen guy, computers and I don't get along

all my posts/pictures on pentaxforum..com has full info but my posts/pictures to flickr do not

09-19-2016, 05:38 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Flickr tends to read whatever string is in the -XMP-aux:Lens tag if there is no -ExifIFD:LensModel tag and use that as the lens description. So you have to make sure that whatever software you use to process your image writes these tags properly or you can write them manually using ExifTool etc.

Last edited by kh1234567890; 09-19-2016 at 05:57 PM.
09-19-2016, 06:05 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just enter the lens in the "tags" box. Simple.
09-20-2016, 10:58 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
did you down load it from the pentax forum or flickr.com?

by the way, i'm a paper and pencil/pen guy, computers and I don't get along

all my posts/pictures on pentaxforum..com has full info but my posts/pictures to flickr do not
Aslyfox I downloaded from Flickr