Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-21-2016, 03:09 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma 35 f1.4 DG Art on K-1

My newly acquired Sigma 35 Art has just arrived, but I noticed that on the K-1 it defaults to cropped sensor mode. While this can easily be fixed by forcing the camera to use Full Frame mode, I was wondering if there is a fix for this somewhere. So, hoping that another K-1 owner has already seen this and has an answer.

...and for info: I haven't got the USB dock (yet) but it would be great to know that it would solve the problem before I raced out to buy.

Thanks in advance for your help.

09-21-2016, 03:13 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Not that I know of, but Sigma has acknowledged the issue. Perhaps they'll release a firmware update to fix it at some point.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-21-2016, 05:02 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AdrianM Quote
My newly acquired Sigma 35 Art has just arrived, but I noticed that on the K-1 it defaults to cropped sensor mode. While this can easily be fixed by forcing the camera to use Full Frame mode, I was wondering if there is a fix for this somewhere. So, hoping that another K-1 owner has already seen this and has an answer.

...and for info: I haven't got the USB dock (yet) but it would be great to know that it would solve the problem before I raced out to buy.

Thanks in advance for your help.
why you need the dock for fixed focal lenght lens? You can make microadjustment in camera Menu.
09-21-2016, 05:25 AM - 1 Like   #4
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
why you need the dock for fixed focal lenght lens? You can make microadjustment in camera Menu.
His issue isn't front or back focusing but that the camera body senses the DG (Full Frame) lens as a DC (APS-C) on the K-1

Sigma sends lens firmwares through the dock.. in addition to micro adjustments.

09-21-2016, 08:09 AM   #5
Banned

I have similar problem with some other Sigma autofocus full frame lenses on K-1.
Looks like camera can't identify lens and activate crop mode by default.
Or maybe it is the problem of brilliant Sigma reverse engineering.
Firmware update is probably the only solution, lens needs another id.

p.s. I'm pretty much pissed off on those Sigma K mount lenses. Some of them are not working (like 70-200), some of them have ID of my existing Pentax lenses and mess my micro focusing for those lenses, some of them are not recognized as full frame, local support is disaster, etc,etc... I think I'll sell them all and never buy Sigma again.

Last edited by banep; 09-21-2016 at 12:35 PM.
09-21-2016, 07:01 PM   #6
Forum Member

I have the Sigma 35mm 1.4 and it works as it should, comes up in full frame mode. If possible you might see if you can exchange the lens for a different one. I have not updated the lens firmware since I purchased the lens 2 months ago.

Looking forward to the Samyang 20mm 1.4 also, but guess it won't ship for a while yet.

Paul C
09-22-2016, 02:17 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul2660 Quote
I have the Sigma 35mm 1.4 and it works as it should, comes up in full frame mode. If possible you might see if you can exchange the lens for a different one. I have not updated the lens firmware since I purchased the lens 2 months ago.

Looking forward to the Samyang 20mm 1.4 also, but guess it won't ship for a while yet.

Paul C
Thanks, Paul. Can you confirm for me that you have the Crop Mode as "Auto" and the lens registers as full frame ? Just want to be clear if I have a conversation with Sigma.

09-22-2016, 03:48 AM   #8
Forum Member

Thanks, Paul. Can you confirm for me that you have the Crop Mode as "Auto" and the lens registers as full frame ? Just want to be clear if I have a conversation with Sigma.
Yes, crop mode is set to Auto.

Paul C
09-22-2016, 03:57 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul2660 Quote
Yes, crop mode is set to Auto.

Paul C
Thanks Paul - just needed to check. That is interesting behaviour. I will have a chat with C.R.Kennedy in Melbourne some time.
09-22-2016, 05:40 AM   #10
Forum Member

Just wanted to add that the 35 is an amazing optic.

Used it with Nikon tried to get Sigma to mount swap but it was to X pensive and they would not guarantee the swap.

One thing I sure miss is the 20. 1.4 Art and wish Sigma would add more lenses from the Art line up to Pentax. Hoping the new Samyang 20mm 1.8 will be a winner.

Paul C
09-22-2016, 08:31 AM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
You can make much finer focus adjustments over select distance ranges. The ability has proved useful on my 35A/K1 combo.
09-22-2016, 11:18 AM   #12
Banned

Thanks Paul - just needed to check. That is interesting behaviour. I will have a chat with C.R.Kennedy in Melbourne some time.
Before that you two @Adrianm and @Paul2660 should compare lens id from exif of your files. There is possibility that those IDs are different which means different in lens firmware.
Other possibility could be a different K-1 firmware version.
04-26-2017, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #13

Photos: Albums
Sigma has released firmware for 35mm Art in all other mounts accept Pentax why is that so? Canon has firmware version 1.04 but for Pentax, it is still 1.00
06-10-2021, 10:38 PM   #14

Photos: Albums
No Support for Pentax mount lens

https://imgur.com/PzeXPkF

Last edited by puneet.gaur; 06-10-2021 at 10:49 PM.