Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-21-2016, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Finally: DxO Optics Pro v11 support for K-1

Just noticed that DxO Optics Pro v11 now supports a bunch of lenses for the K-1:
  • (48) Pentax lenses
  • (1) Samsung lens
  • (1) Samyang lens
  • (12) Sigma lenses
  • (6) Tamron lenses

They even added a bunch of new lenses to the K-3 as well.

Michael

09-21-2016, 06:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Nice. I will look into upgrading now. Is Pixel Shift supported?
09-21-2016, 06:10 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Nice. I will look into upgrading now. Is Pixel Shift supported?
highly unlikely even though many of us have been requesting this as an enhancement for years now.

M
09-21-2016, 05:38 PM   #4
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
How are you processing your Pixel Shift images, Michael?

09-21-2016, 06:31 PM   #5
Forum Member

DXO made a statement earlier in a interview with Dpreview that pixel shift would be supported later maybe by year end. But nothing more has been said since.

Paul C
09-21-2016, 06:40 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
How are you processing your Pixel Shift images, Michael?
If and when I shoot SR I simply process the image using DCU5 to create a 16 bit TIFF and go from there. I find using it acceptable and it doesn't drastically change my workflow.

However, I nearly always shoot a bracket of three shots on my K-3ii -- sometime five if the light is very contrasty. I then often merge the three (DxO processed) images in a simple (non HDR) blend which not only slightly increases DR but also reduces noise. If needed, I can also perform HDR processing on the set of brackets depending on the image. And more to the point: it is not unusual for one of the three to be slightly sharper than the others, in which case I'll use that one instead of the other two.

In short, while I appreciate SR and occasionally make use of it, with the high-speed capture afforded by the K-3ii, taking brackets is my preferred shooting style which gives me a lot of post-processing flexibility as well as increasing my keeper rate.

For my style of shooting, if there were one thing Pentax could do to improve the "K-3 mk4" it would be to increase the frame rate to 9-10fps. Then I'd be a happy camper!

M
09-21-2016, 07:06 PM   #7
AYD

I was waiting very anxiously for DxO11 to support the K-1. I downloaded the module for K-1 + D-FA 28-105 since I had a lot of .DNG and .PEF files around, along with their .JPG versions. None of these were pixel-shift, since I'm going to get to trying that later.

It showed the thumbnails of the DNG and PEF files which got me very excited, however, it wont process them. Says camera not supported. I restarted the program and still no dice. I'm really surprised as DxO in general has been very reliable, works flawlessly with my CR2 (Canon) files. I did notice that when I opened the program, it did not mention anything about a new update being available. So downloading the modules without updating the program wont work. I wish they had updated the program and released the modules simultaneously.

Ill check back here if it works after an update.

---------- Post added 09-21-16 at 07:12 PM ----------

Yep, there is a 437 MB update downloading. Hope that does it.

09-21-2016, 07:13 PM   #8

New features in DxO OpticsPro 11.2
 Support for OS X 10.12 (macOS Sierra).
 4 new cameras supported:
 Canon PowerShot G7X Mark II
 Pentax K-1
 Sony DSC-RX10 III
 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX80 / GX85 / GX7 Mark II
 New extended white balance range:
 Although not automatic, the extended range of the Temp (up to 50000K) and Tint (up to 200) sliders in DxO OpticsPro 11 can be used to correct for color casts in underwater photos taken by other cameras.
 Also useful for removing casts from other blueish light sources (e.g., concerts).
 Once color cast is removed, use DxO PRIME 2016 to automatically remove noise, and DxO ClearView to reveal all the details in your underwater photos.
 Minor bug fixes.
09-21-2016, 07:24 PM   #9
AYD

Well, the update version 11.2 is not quite there yet. It downloads only 121 MB out of 437 and stops. Its not quite there. I had the same issue with Viewpoint when I tried downloading as soon as they published it. It would download about half the file and stop. Trued several times. Then cam back a couple of days later and the whole update for Viewpoint downloaded and installed.

Ill try downloading 11.2 in a couple of days.
09-21-2016, 07:31 PM   #10

I was able to get it fine early this morning. It might have been less busy. Applied very nicely once it was on my machine.
09-21-2016, 07:52 PM   #11
AYD

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveD Quote
I was able to get it fine early this morning. It might have been less busy. Applied very nicely once it was on my machine.
OK. Their site is very slow downloading too. Cant wait to try it out.
09-21-2016, 10:18 PM   #12

Photos: Gallery | Albums
11.2 is need for k-1 ?
I've the 11.1 version, just don't work for k1 dng....
Downloading updates for k1+21mm, k1+300mm etc.... but when I try to open image taken with these lenses, "rax from this dslr is not yet supported...."
09-22-2016, 07:14 AM   #13
AYD

Yes, version 11.2 is needed and mine now works with both dng and pef files. Don't know about pixel shift since I didn't shoot any.

11.2 wont install if you have an update waiting for windows 10, which is what I ran into.
09-23-2016, 12:41 PM   #14
Forum Member

Currently pixel shift not supported. And DxO reported back to me that it may never be. Not a high priority

Paul C
09-24-2016, 04:25 AM   #15
AYD

Pixel shift is a really game changing technology that only Pentax uses currently since it has IBIS. Olympus did something similar to increase resolution. Only IBIS systems can do this while Canikon can't, and have to rely solely on the sensor's potential capabilities, which has limits.

The K-1 without Sensor shift at low iso's beats or is close to the other Sonikon bodies (810/Rii's ) in DR, which is great for landscape and product photography. With sensor shift, it completely blows them away.

DxO knows about this and chooses to ignore this when its not that difficult to implement. Its like Dpreview harps over and over about incremental differences in DR but when a big game changing tech shows up, it just makes passing mention.

If you a a landscaper or shooting non-moving (generally) subjects and want to capture the highest DR, nothing else will do but K-1+pixel shift.

I doubt sensors without sensor shift will catch up in DR with pixel shift of 2016 in 5 or 10 years with on chip AD processing, back lit sensors and smaller/larger pixels or some kind of stacked/split pixel technology. I'd rather spend $1,800 for a landscape camera today than $10G to get the same DR in MF.

---------- Post added 09-24-16 at 04:57 AM ----------

To be fair to DxO, I'm glad they issued this timely Update to DxO11. Its Much, much better, IMO strictly, than anything else for manipulating K-1 png/pef files and takes care of lens softness, CA, aberrations (noise, what noise on K-1 at low iso's) very nicely. Since I shoot at low isos, I turn off NR in DxO11 to preserve maximum detail.