Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread
09-24-2016, 04:42 AM - 7 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Pentax K-1 loves the FA 77mm limited

I think that the Pentax K-1 was just amde specifically to be used with the FA 77mm limited. It is just such a small, portable high quality combo.

Here some by-catch from visiting photokina:

No heavy lens lugging around, nice for people shots, can be used wide open on 36 MPx and fits into the smallest bag.

09-24-2016, 04:54 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very lovely shots!

I agree, I own an FA77mm, and rented a K-1 a few weeks ago, great combo!
09-24-2016, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Very lovely shots!

I agree, I own an FA77mm, and rented a K-1 a few weeks ago, great combo!
Beautiful shots - Waiting for my K1 to arrive next Wednesday to really maximize the beauty of this lens along with my 31/55/77
09-24-2016, 10:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes yes yes!

09-24-2016, 10:51 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

damn! - my wish list just got more expensive again, just when I'd cleared some of the backlog ;(
09-25-2016, 12:02 AM - 4 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Some red and green:

11-22-2016, 07:42 PM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
I think that the Pentax K-1 was just amde specifically to be used with the FA 77mm limited. It is just such a small, portable high quality combo.

Here some by-catch from visiting photokina:

No heavy lens lugging around, nice for people shots, can be used wide open on 36 MPx and fits into the smallest bag.

Hi Beholder,

I also have this lens, and was wondering what settings do you most often use for auto focus? I have become frustrated, so I just use the back button focus with the shutter button focus control shut off.

11-22-2016, 09:02 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I thought it was only me. Lovely images!
11-26-2016, 01:24 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimBrennan Quote
Hi Beholder,
I also have this lens, and was wondering what settings do you most often use for auto focus? I have become frustrated, so I just use the back button focus with the shutter button focus control shut off.
There is little special I could tell you. I mostly use it for people / portraits and I find all non macro screw drives to be fast but not ultimately precise when used on FF and with very wide apertures and when you inspect the result from 36 MPx. I guess it is about the gears in there and the precision of feedback the older lenses can provide. So I restrict myself to AF.S scenarios where the subject is not in motion.
Back button focussing to keep the autofocus system thinking about what it sees is a good safeguarding option.

It is also important to understand that - as this is a people lens - human faces actually provide rather poor contrast edges (baby faces are worst). Combined with minimal Dof and 36 MPx pixelpeeping will always create a lot of suboptimal results. So just take some more shots using the af-on button and don't worry.

Still this lens in my practise wins over the HSM driven Sigma 85/1.4 in a 9:1 ratio, simply because large clunky primes are not really attractive to pick when you leave the house.
11-26-2016, 06:37 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I spent the last two days taking a lot of pictures of (patient and photogenic) family and friends using this combination. Many of the results were incredible, and those were not great were the result of my own lack of skill. Because many of the shots were unplanned, and unposed, often from a distance I often had to crop to about 1/6 of the frame to isolate the person I wanted, even then I was impressed with how good the results were, the photos are still sharp.

I rent the K-1, because I am an occasional photographer. so it makes economic sense for me, at rental rates I could rented for 20 weeks before I spent as much as the purchase price Weeks go by where I barely get the Single-In shot of the day completed.
I Recommend to those who don't own a K-1 to rent it, it is an incredible camera.
12-01-2016, 11:37 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm totally enamoured of the FA43 on my K-1, and am really beginning to lust after a FA77...
12-01-2016, 01:34 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Pentax K-1 loves the FA 77mm limited
Some on this site would consider that to be a "May-December romance" and a huge travesty to mate an archaic lens designed to paint light solely to film with a state of the art digital sensor. Someone should definitely tell your K-1 that the relationship will never work.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but I could not resist.

As far as the happy couple goes, it appears that things are working out nicely.

Steve
12-11-2016, 05:45 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The FA77 is great on the K1. I used it to shoot portraits too. Just processing some Cosplay shots from yesterday and ones completed, will post samples.
12-12-2016, 06:32 AM - 3 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K1 + FA77
Take with 2 strobes
12-12-2016, 08:16 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Some on this site would consider that to be a "May-December romance" and a huge travesty to mate an archaic lens designed to paint light solely to film with a state of the art digital sensor. Someone should definitely tell your K-1 that the relationship will never work.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but I could not resist.

As far as the happy couple goes, it appears that things are working out nicely.

Steve
Those guys were 15 years olds.... and they also both sent me PMs telling me what an idiot I am for defending th 31/43/77... you gotta love 15 year olds.(cause if you don't love them you'll kill them) They know everything.

Last edited by normhead; 12-12-2016 at 08:54 AM.