Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-24-2016, 11:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Pixel Shift - OK To Leave MC On All The Time?

At times I need to change to Pixel Shift quickly and have the Fx1 button set to do this. However, when I do that it sets to PS MC consistently and I can't find a way to change it so it sets to PS non-MC. It's more cumbersome and time consuming to then have to go into menu C3 and turn off MC. Thus, I'm shooting a considerable percentage of my photos (landscapes) with MC on even though there is no motion. Is there any downside to leaving the PS MC setting on full time and using it for scenes where there is no motion and MC is not needed (other than the increased processing time). I assume there is no positive effect from this but is there any deleterious effect on the image from use of MC when there is no motion and no need to use it?

The owners manual doesn't address this specific question, at least not that I could find. A search of this forum revealed a thread involving the same question but I didn't find a definite answer, at least as I interpreted the responses.

Thanks for any help.

09-24-2016, 11:56 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's not so onerous to change to and from PS on the info screen (as against menu) is it? - You have full options there
09-24-2016, 12:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You can change the PS mode from the same menu where you set the custom buttons. It is ass-designed but when you map PS to function button you can alter the default mode which is selected. It is a submenu of the PS selection where you do this.

If you use adobe converter, better disable motion correction.
09-24-2016, 12:09 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you shot RAW, it does not matter whether you select MC or not, since you can select MC or non MC, or no pixel shift as an option for the RAW conversion.

09-24-2016, 12:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Not with Lightroom or Photoshop.
09-24-2016, 01:11 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I use MC - on all the time. Sometimes i take photos with black fabric background that in MC - off mode produces moire. MC - on setting reduce moire. Overall, with MC - on i get much better results. MC off demands really "stable" conditions and no move at all. (Sorry for my bad english).
09-24-2016, 01:42 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The PS motion correction is on by default and can't be turned off in-camera with the K-3II (switchable in DCU5) so I can't think why it would do any harm.

09-24-2016, 03:32 PM - 1 Like   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It adds a little bit of processing time, but generally-speaking, it's probably safe just to leave it on.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-24-2016, 03:43 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
You can change the PS mode from the same menu where you set the custom buttons. It is ass-designed but when you map PS to function button you can alter the default mode which is selected. It is a submenu of the PS selection where you do this.

If you use adobe converter, better disable motion correction.
Confirmed.. Curiosity got me and it's there...
09-24-2016, 04:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Ya it is there. And MC should be turned off when using Adobe stuff. Otherwise it will result in nasty artifacts in places which would not be so severe without.
09-24-2016, 04:53 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ya it is there. And MC should be turned off when using Adobe stuff. Otherwise it will result in nasty artifacts in places which would not be so severe without.
Not just Adobe but any program if you are processing the OOC JPG with PSR MC on incamera or RAW processed through PDCU with MC on. Sharpening, especially extreme, will probably over exaggerate the artifacts. Processing RAW PSR should not suffer.

RONC

Last edited by rechmbrs; 09-24-2016 at 05:24 PM.
09-24-2016, 05:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Should not but the unfortunate thing is that Adobe fails completely with RAW files where MC is ON. And as I refuse to use MC I will take separate shots with PS ON/OFF and then just blend in the details in Photoshop.

Dpreview has nice comparison page: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/k1-pixel-shift-resolution-updated-field-test

Adobe goes wonky. False color all over the place. Now if you switch off MC, false color will not spread around so badly making it easier to blend details where they are needed. SilkyPix seems to do nice work with MC but I cannot stand the user interface and workflow obstacle.

Last edited by MJKoski; 09-24-2016 at 05:41 PM.
09-24-2016, 07:53 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Should not but the unfortunate thing is that Adobe fails completely with RAW files where MC is ON. And as I refuse to use MC I will take separate shots with PS ON/OFF and then just blend in the details in Photoshop.

Dpreview has nice comparison page: Pentax K-1 Pixel Shift Resolution: Updated Field Test: Digital Photography Review

Adobe goes wonky. False color all over the place. Now if you switch off MC, false color will not spread around so badly making it easier to blend details where they are needed. SilkyPix seems to do nice work with MC but I cannot stand the user interface and workflow obstacle.
Adobe or any other program processing that file will go wonky. It is not just Photoshop that does it. Photoshop and Lightroom do not compensate for movement within the subject. Only PDCU and in camera processing attempt to.
Have you tried any other programs.
Adobe ACR programs and PDCU are the only commercial programs that composite Pixel Shift files.
RONC
09-25-2016, 03:46 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Dpreview has nice comparison page: Pentax K-1 Pixel Shift Resolution: Updated Field Test: Digital Photography Review

Thanks - interesting article!
09-25-2016, 04:32 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
Confirmed.. Curiosity got me and it's there...
This is strange but in C5 Fx1Button Customization my F-1 doesn't show the same screen- it has only the off - arrow - MC option so I can't change the default to non-MC. Same for the Fx2 button. I wonder why the difference. I have't updated the camera software yet, perhaps that's why??

---------- Post added 09-25-16 at 05:41 AM ----------

Thanks to everyone for your replies. It seems MC does cause more problems in PP than non-MC? If so this could be a reason not to use MC if there isn't motion (in my case the motion is usually in foliage due to wind, which we've had a lot of in the northern Rockies this fall). I shot some fall color scenes yesterday without much wind using both MC and non-MC for comparison and will look at them today. I use PSE14 and assume it has the same problem with PSR files as Photoshop and LR (haven't yet tried it with any PSR files).

Last edited by wanderer2; 09-25-2016 at 04:46 AM.