Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2016, 07:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

31/43/77 sure, what about 20mm?

So the 31/43/77 are perfect. And 55-300 is no problem for me with crop. But what is everyone doing about wide angle?

A 20 or 21 FF is what I need. I guess everyone's waiting for the Samyang? Is a 20mm-ish FF on Pentax's roadmap at all?

The 15-30 is too big and no filters and not what I need at all.

09-25-2016, 08:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Same here, I want a full frame, but only 2 conditions left. K-1 price in Japan is about 700 USD higher than in the US which is un-acceptable for me and FF wide angle lens that can replace my DA15. I still can wait… may be until CP+ 2017, and if things still stay the same, I will ask Pentax people at the booth.

Yes, 15-30 is a kind of too big, too heavy and too expensive, IMO. Pentax did a very good job on the DA limited. I am not sure what is their plan ( if they have one ) for something like DA limited for a full-frame. They only have to do the 15 and 21 on FF.

as for now, IRIX 15mm f2.4 is my great hope. as for K1 prince in Japan, I think / hope it will come down end of this year.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 09-25-2016 at 08:23 PM.
09-25-2016, 08:13 PM   #3
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
The 15-30 is too big and no filters
Well you're right about it being big and heavy, but wrong aout the 'no filters'. You need to fit a different type of filter system to this lens, best searched for using the 'tamron 15-30' in a search as it's more common and the same filter sets fit the D-FA 15-30. Several options are available from Fotodiox, Haidi, Lee, NISI amongst others, one of the forum member's purchased one earlier this year and has photos of it around here somewhere. Altrnatively here's a link to a review of one of these options: Fstoppers Reviews the NISI 150mm Filter System | Fstoppers

For me the biggest issue is the cost. Huge money to add a new filter system instead of using filters you may already have. Still, it's not what you want but hopefully the new FF primes due for release next year will give you what you seek. I think Irix were also looking at something around 20mm from memory and I'm sure there's other options that will be touched on by the forum. Good luck with your search.

Tas
09-25-2016, 08:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
Well you're right about it being big and heavy, but wrong aout the 'no filters'. You need to fit a different type of filter system to this lens, best searched for using the 'tamron 15-30' in a search as it's more common and the same filter sets fit the D-FA 15-30. Several options are available from Fotodiox, Haidi, Lee, NISI amongst others, one of the forum member's purchased one earlier this year and has photos of it around here somewhere. Altrnatively here's a link to a review of one of these options: Fstoppers Reviews the NISI 150mm Filter System | Fstoppers

For me the biggest issue is the cost. Huge money to add a new filter system instead of using filters you may already have. Still, it's not what you want but hopefully the new FF primes due for release next year will give you what you seek. I think Irix were also looking at something around 20mm from memory and I'm sure there's other options that will be touched on by the forum. Good luck with your search.

Tas

Yea, pretty much for me if it's not 77mm and doesn't screw on in a hurry I'm just not going to use it. I have a complete Lee system, which I can just barely force myself to use it's so fiddly.

The Samyang will probably be decent and inexpensive and will hold me over until Ricoh gets their finger out. I am really teetering on the brink of ordering a $1796.00 USD K1 body.... I don't need it, but really want to try it out. Hearing that they are $2600 USD in Japan is not helping my resistance!!!

---------- Post added 09-25-16 at 09:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
For everyday subjects, I use the DFA 28-105, or 31/43/77, supplemented by an SMC Pentax-A 24/2.8. Works great !

Cheers... M

If I only still had my FA 20mm 2.8 and FA* 24mm 2.0... Oh well, long gone.

09-25-2016, 08:49 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

There's a wide prime roadmapped. Until then, yes, I'd say the options from Samyang are worth going for.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-25-2016, 09:33 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FA 20-35?
Less than 250g
58mm
Full frame.
09-25-2016, 09:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There's a wide prime roadmapped. Until then, yes, I'd say the options from Samyang are worth going for.

Good to know, thanks Adam!

---------- Post added 09-25-16 at 11:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
FA 20-35?
Less than 250g
58mm
Full frame.

THAT was a really great lens for sure! I just am kinda turned off to the whole idea of hunting for a non-abused decent copy of any used lens. I've bought some good ones and I've bought some real duds too. At least new if it's a dud I can return it and try another new copy with a decent chance of getting a good one.

09-25-2016, 10:37 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good to know, thanks Adam!

---------- Post added 09-25-16 at 11:01 PM ----------

THAT was a really great lens for sure! I just am kinda turned off to the whole idea of hunting for a non-abused decent copy of any used lens. I've bought some good ones and I've bought some real duds too. At least new if it's a dud I can return it and try another new copy with a decent chance of getting a good one.
Maybe reach out to KEH? They have a good warranty. Also the marketplace here is very good.
09-25-2016, 10:45 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If I only still had my FA 20mm 2.8 and FA* 24mm 2.0... Oh well, long gone.
I'm open to bribery (not really)

Seriously though, the DFA15-30 is pretty darn good, and filters are rarely really necessary; I noted with interest in a recent exchange with Mike Oria (a pretty fair landscape shooter IMHO) that he hardly ever uses them.
09-25-2016, 11:00 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I'm open to bribery (not really)

Seriously though, the DFA15-30 is pretty darn good, and filters are rarely really necessary; I noted with interest in a recent exchange with Mike Oria (a pretty fair landscape shooter IMHO) that he hardly ever uses them.

It's more the weight and size rather than the filters. I'd rather just have a really really really great 20mm that uses 77mm or smaller filters. To do stuff like this with FF instead of at 12-14mm on a crop (though I didn't use a filter for either of these LOL):

But I do know that you can do this with a really wide lens on a FF, I think I shot this at 14mm with the Nikkor 14-24 on a D700:

But filters are more important to me now then they were then with a wide, I have and want to use my 10 stop ND filter mostly for that look with some B&W.
09-25-2016, 11:42 PM - 1 Like   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It's more the weight and size rather than the filters. I'd rather just have a really really really great 20mm that uses 77mm or smaller filters. To do stuff like this with FF instead of at 12-14mm on a crop (though I didn't use a filter for either of these LOL):

But I do know that you can do this with a really wide lens on a FF, I think I shot this at 14mm with the Nikkor 14-24 on a D700:

But filters are more important to me now then they were then with a wide, I have and want to use my 10 stop ND filter mostly for that look with some B&W.
You can actually use the DA 12-24mm at 18mm+ - it covers FF nicely after that.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-26-2016, 01:38 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I settled on a 20mm/3.5 Voigtlander for now.... a bit like a manual DA15 but FF and of course small (200grams)
09-26-2016, 06:13 AM   #13
Pentaxian

This issue has been on my mind since long before the K-1 was announced. The DA15 Limited is so great on APS-C, it's a shame not to have something similar available for FF.

I'd love a 20mm that is modern, compact, light, sharp, contrasty, slowish is OK, screw drive is OK (but I know that will likely never happen), and did I say compact?
09-26-2016, 06:28 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe the K 20mm f4 or M 20 F4.
09-26-2016, 10:24 AM   #15

i was lucky enough to find the A 20mm 2.8 just before two months. This will be my ultrawide lens for the moment since the 15-30 doesnt take the "normal cheap" filters