Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2016, 12:21 PM   #1

Weird software crash after dropping my k-1

So after owning my k-1 for about 2 months, I unfortunately dropped it yesterday. It fell out of my camera bag onto gravel from about waist height. The body only had a few small scratches at the bottom of the grip. It seemed to work fine, but now when I enter playback mode and try to zoom in, it quickly zooms all the way in and the camera stops responding to all button presses except for the info button. Sometimes it won't even turn off in this state unless I remove the battery. The ISO button also appears to be broken (also weird because the impact was nowhere near it.)

At first I thought that maybe the back dial was broken, but it works just fine in any mode other than zooming while playing back an image. I can also zoom out to see photo thumbnails, but when I zoom in it zooms in all the way and then crashes. sometimes it doesn't totally freeze and I can turn off the camera, but it freaks out a bit and looks like it's zooming in and out while turning off.

Aside from that, everything else on the camera appears to work correctly. I can take photos, review them, and zoom in in live view, but it's only when I zoom in playback that the camera has a problem.
Has anyone else ever encountered a similar issue to this? I assume i'm going to have to send it in for repair, but I'm not sure where or how much it will cost.
Any help is appreciated.

09-29-2016, 01:09 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dropped the K-1? That really bites...

The crash is likely due to internal damage to a board or connector. Does it do the same thing with the grip removed?

Steve
09-29-2016, 01:33 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Dropped the K-1? That really bites...

The crash is likely due to internal damage to a board or connector. Does it do the same thing with the grip removed?

Steve
Sorry, when I meant "grip" i meant the hand grip built into the body, I did not have a battery grip on at the time of the drop.
I did try it with a battery grip on though, and the zoom wheel on there did the same thing.
09-29-2016, 01:41 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wafflehouse Quote
Sorry, when I meant "grip" i meant the hand grip built into the body, I did not have a battery grip on at the time of the drop.
I did try it with a battery grip on though, and the zoom wheel on there did the same thing.
OK...

BTW, Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Steve

09-29-2016, 09:35 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you have House & Contents insurance put in a claim and get it fixed.
09-30-2016, 01:28 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Sorry to hear this. It sounds like the camera could benefit from being serviced by Precision.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-30-2016, 03:26 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Sorry to hear this. It sounds like the camera could benefit from being serviced by Precision.
Any idea how much a repair like this would usually cost?

09-30-2016, 03:46 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by wafflehouse Quote
Any idea how much a repair like this would usually cost?
The base repair cost for the K-1 is just over $300. Whether or not they will charge more will depend on the extent of the damage.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: