Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-05-2016, 09:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lost PC Sync Cap!

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I lost the tiny screw-in cap on my K-1! Anyone know where I can get a replacement? By not having it on, does it impact water resistance?

10-05-2016, 01:37 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would expect those to be the same as for other cameras, since the port is the same. The user manual should list the part code, for my k3ii it is 2p and it was the same for the k7 etc. If so, you could try to find an official part in stock or get a knockoff from ebay if all else fails...

edit: to help searching, the manual calls it "sync socket 2p cap"
10-05-2016, 01:41 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

B&H used to sell these. Not sure why not anymore. Such a tiny little thing! Pentax PC Socket Cap 31042 B&H Photo Video
10-05-2016, 01:48 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's another site: Pentax PC Socket Cap
Or: PENTAX - PC Socket Cap

10-05-2016, 01:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hereʻs one that will fit, but it doesnʻt screw.

Nisha PC Socket Cap PCSC B&H Photo Video

Missing the PC sync cap should not compromise water resistance. It is there to keep dust and dirt out of the connector.

If you really want one that screws in, Iʻd probably call or buy an As Is FSLR at keh.com, making sure it had a screw-in PC sync cap. They start at $1.29!
Another idea is to check out your local craigslist, Goodwill, etc.

Thereʻs also a bunch on amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Generic-Flash-Terminal-Cover-Nikon/dp/B00UL4ZT4W/ref=...ds=pc+sync+cap

PC cables are pretty standardized, so it shouldnʻt matter if you have a Pentax, Nikon, Canon, etc.
10-06-2016, 10:50 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those were made to get lost, simply too tiny to keep track of. I wish my K-1 had a rubber cover attached, like my Sony a850.
12-04-2022, 06:17 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I found this thread as I'm trying to locate a flash sync cover for a Pentax K1ii I just acquired. I would have thought this would have been a relatively easy item to source, but not the case. Many of the links provided throughout this thread are now defunct. It's odd because Pentax are still selling cameras with this feature, so why not keep a supply on hand? There is one seller on Amazon who carries this part, but their price including shipping comes to $45 Canadian - a blatant gouge. (Pentax OEM Flash Sync Socket Cap for Pentax K-7 K-5 K5ii K-5iis | eBay)

Has anyone else out there had any luck finding this part through any other means?

12-05-2022, 07:43 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wsself Quote
There is one seller on Amazon who carries this part, but their price including shipping comes to $45 Canadian
Crazy price, old thread, but co-incidentally I have just ordered two for myself from Jack the Hat in the UK. He sells them in twos, £4.75 for the two. I don't know what his postage to Canada would cost. They are said to be for Nikon, but I'm told the screw thread is standard.

2 x Flash Sync Socket Caps for DSLRs and Cameras. Screw on flash port covers. | eBay

12-05-2022, 08:00 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Crazy price, old thread, but co-incidentally I have just ordered two for myself from Jack the Hat in the UK. He sells them in twos, £4.75 for the two. I don't know what his postage to Canada would cost. They are said to be for Nikon, but I'm told the screw thread is standard.

2 x Flash Sync Socket Caps for DSLRs and Cameras. Screw on flash port covers. | eBay
Thanks very much for this! This is a lot more cost-effective than what I've been seeing elsewhere. Also, glad to know that the Nikon caps are compatible with Pentax.
12-07-2022, 10:27 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wsself Quote
glad to know that the Nikon caps are compatible with Pentax.
Just to warn you, I have now received the little screw caps from Jack the Hat (the post is very slow here at the moment) and I'm sorry to report that they don't fit in my K1 PC socket. They are threaded but the diameter is too large. They don't look exactly like the ones in Jack-t-H's picture in the page I ordered from, so I'm wondering if I was even sent the right type.

I'm not sure what I shall do next, I'm doing some searching on line to find where it said Pentax were the same thread as Nikon, and also trying to find out if the screw thread is covered by the standard anyway. The PC socket is supposed to be to ISO standard 519:1992. I will get back to Jack-t-H when I get a bit more info on this.
12-08-2022, 07:29 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just to warn you, I have now received the little screw caps from Jack the Hat (the post is very slow here at the moment) and I'm sorry to report that they don't fit in my K1 PC socket. They are threaded but the diameter is too large. They don't look exactly like the ones in Jack-t-H's picture in the page I ordered from, so I'm wondering if I was even sent the right type.
Oh no! Sorry to hear this and thanks so much for the heads up! Good luck with the return.

I'm not sure what I shall do next, I'm doing some searching on line to find where it said Pentax were the same thread as Nikon, and also trying to find out if the screw thread is covered by the standard anyway. The PC socket is supposed to be to ISO standard 519:1992. I will get back to Jack-t-H when I get a bit more info on this.
I found these two retailers in the UK who have stock. The Pentax part number is '31042'. They won't ship to Canada, but for you, this will work:

https://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/product/pentax-spare-replacement-pc-flash-sync-socket-cap/
Pentax Synchro Terminal 2P Cap
01-31-2024, 11:03 AM   #12
Pentaxian

There're already several threads about the cap for flash synchro jack:
Lost PC Sync Cap! - PentaxForums.com
Lost x-sync port screw-on cover for K-5, can it still be used in rain without damage? - PentaxForums.com
Missing X Sync Cover - PentaxForums.com
Closed Thread