Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2016, 05:03 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-1 Screen brightness....

Just wondering if anyone else has had to adjust their screen brightness a lot to get an accurate representation of what you're getting out of the camera or not. I shot a wedding a couple of weeks ago and have been trying to figure out why I had such a discrepancy with my photos. Looking at the previews on the camera, they looked decently exposed. (perhaps slightly under, but I like that look) When I got them into Lightroom, there was a difference of 1 to 2 stops. Not what I was expecting. I went back and comparing to what was on my screen (camera) vs computer, and the difference was very obvious. I did some tests to see if I could figure out why, and mostly got the same kind of results, especially on slightly underexposed shots. Over exposed shots didn't seem as much difference, but perhaps it's because it brought the images to a level I like. I'm not sure. I ended up turning down the screen brightness on the K-1 to more match what I'm seeing on my computer. (it's calibrated...) Just wondering if any others have had a similar experience and what you did to fix it. I have camera color profile set to natural...

10-06-2016, 05:18 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
Just wondering if anyone else has had to adjust their screen brightness a lot to get an accurate representation of what you're getting out of the camera or not. I shot a wedding a couple of weeks ago and have been trying to figure out why I had such a discrepancy with my photos. Looking at the previews on the camera, they looked decently exposed. (perhaps slightly under, but I like that look) When I got them into Lightroom, there was a difference of 1 to 2 stops. Not what I was expecting. I went back and comparing to what was on my screen (camera) vs computer, and the difference was very obvious. I did some tests to see if I could figure out why, and mostly got the same kind of results, especially on slightly underexposed shots. Over exposed shots didn't seem as much difference, but perhaps it's because it brought the images to a level I like. I'm not sure. I ended up turning down the screen brightness on the K-1 to more match what I'm seeing on my computer. (it's calibrated...) Just wondering if any others have had a similar experience and what you did to fix it. I have camera color profile set to natural...
Did you enable the outdoor view setting on accident? That can REALLY throw things off.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-06-2016, 05:42 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Mine's always at the dimmest viewable setting at all times to save on battery as much as possible. LoL!

Don't bother looking at the screen for checking exposure. Just use it for a quick check on composition and focus accuracy.

For brightness, I always recommend to learn how to read the histogram.
10-06-2016, 06:06 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Did you enable the outdoor view setting on accident? That can REALLY throw things off.
Nope. I have used it before, but I'm one who always turns my camera off between shots while moving around, and that function always goes back to default for me.

One thing too add, but I don't see it making a difference, a lot of these were with flash. Full manual on the flash and the camera, but that still shouldn't effect what I see on the back of the camera.

---------- Post added 10-06-2016 at 09:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Mine's always at the dimmest viewable setting at all times to save on battery as much as possible. LoL!

Don't bother looking at the screen for checking exposure. Just use it for a quick check on composition and focus accuracy.

For brightness, I always recommend to learn how to read the histogram.
I do use the histogram as well. I suspect I wasn't paying enough attention to it, and this was my first big shoot with this camera, so still learning the in's and out's of it. Big step up from the K-5, so just something I'll have to pay more attention too. Thanks for the tip.

10-06-2016, 10:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Outside View setting is brilliant. ; > Without it, I've never really been able to see the rear screens well in bright, high-altitude sunlight.
10-07-2016, 10:06 PM   #6

I think we just need to get in the habit of checking histograms rather than relying on what we can see in the image. I have also found this issue a little annoying coming from canon cameras which have an exposure simulation mode that is very accurate.