Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-07-2016, 08:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Grip or no Grip for K-1

I was interested in getting a battery grip for my K-1. Those that have it, is it worth it and do you use it often?

10-07-2016, 08:44 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I do have a grip for my K5's and my K3. I use a grip a lot with those models. I do not have a grip for my K1. It is bigger and I will probably get a grip in the future. but life has been expensive the last year or so so getting one is a low priority. The larger size of the K1 fits my hands better so a grip is not needed as much.
10-07-2016, 09:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I recently bought grip for my K-1 and used it to photograph a Walk-a-Thon at my kids' school. The grip doesn't feel much different than what I had on my K-3 except that it feels slightly heavier. I haven't weighed it - could just be my perception. Anyways, the K-1 + grip + DFA 24-70 + a Yongnuo flash is ridiculously heavy. Don't say I didn't warn you when you massage your aching arms at night.
10-07-2016, 09:30 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
I was interested in getting a battery grip for my K-1. Those that have it, is it worth it and do you use it often?
For heavy lenses like 70-200 and 150-450 its helpful. If you primarily shot with sexy small lenses its a less good idea. So it depends on what lenses you use and how often in portrait mode.

10-07-2016, 11:10 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I use a grip quite often with my K-3 and K-5II. I don't miss it with the K-1 and I don't see my self getting any. The size oft the K-1 body makes a grip unnecessary since I don't really need the extra battery.

Last edited by Bengan; 11-05-2016 at 04:25 AM.
10-07-2016, 11:11 AM   #6

Often I need to make sure I have plenty of battery power to last for hours of shooting. I have four DSLRs and all of them have grips. I actually bought the K-1 grip before the camera was delivered. No regrets at all.

obin
10-07-2016, 11:25 AM   #7
Forum Member

To each his own, but I don't understand the argument that a grip is worthwhile simply for the extra battery... you can easily carry a spare battery in your pocket / bag at like 1/4 the size and without shelling out $200.

For me the K-1 is large enough that all my fingers fit on the camera (unlike my old K-5 where my pinky would be dangling below). So for me that would not be a compelling reason either.

The big thing that a grip gets you is the ability to hold the camera in portrait mode more naturally and with better-positioned controls. If you shoot like that a lot, a grip may be a good idea. If not, I wouldn't bother.

10-07-2016, 12:26 PM   #8

Mostly agree with the above though I keep no battery in the camera. Then I do not have to remove grip to for a thing. I keep 1 spare and carry the AA battery adapter and a package of batteries for emergencies. Well for now anyway.
10-07-2016, 12:51 PM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
Those that have it, is it worth it and do you use it often?
For me it's on the camera all the time.

As I have big hands and with heavy fast manual glass it helps me to balance it all up.
10-07-2016, 01:13 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I've never needed it but it does fit in my hands better with it. I also find it easier to balance the DA560 on my gimbal head with it.
10-07-2016, 01:23 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
For me it's on the camera all the time.

As I have big hands and with heavy fast manual glass it helps me to balance it all up.
Me too!

QuoteQuote:
=ajack;3794538
The big thing that a grip gets you is the ability to hold the camera in portrait mode more naturally and with better-positioned controls. If you shoot like that a lot, a grip may be a good idea.
For that reason I think that it's an excellent idea.

QuoteOriginally posted by Obin Robinson Quote
..... I have four DSLRs and all of them have grips. I actually bought the K-1 grip before the camera was delivered. No regrets at all.

obin
I have grips on all of mine as well. And, even though I (pre)ordered them at the same time, the grip got here a week before the K-1 did.
10-07-2016, 01:45 PM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by chuck_c Quote
the grip got here a week before the K-1 did
Although all ordered together, due to supply issues I had camera bodies, 10 days or so before grips arrived.

And in the period it just confirmed for me... the need to for grips.
10-07-2016, 01:56 PM   #13
Veteran Member

How much more room is there for your hand on the K1 vs the K3 without grip? On the K5 or K3, carrying it without a grip using anything heavier than a limited prime would give me a nasty ache in my hand because my hand is large enough that the pinky finger would be off the camera body, while with the grip on, it's no problem at all. I'd imagine, though, that maybe just 1 cm more space would make it comfortable to use without the grip.
10-07-2016, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
How much more room is there for your hand on the K1 vs the K3 without grip? [...]
I would say there is about a pinky's worth of extra room on the K-1 vs the K-3. For my hand the K-1 is exactly the right sized grip.

Of course the whole camera is about 1/2 lb heavier so whether or not it feels better to carry is unclear...
10-07-2016, 02:18 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't have a grip for my K-1. Have one for my K-3 but I don't use it because I don't like the offset tripod mount. I use my camera with a Peak Design Capture mounted on my backpack strap. The offset tripod mount where the Capture clip connects makes for awkward carrying especially with a large lens attached.