Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
10-21-2016, 07:21 AM   #31
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
off topic perhaps but possibly helpful

on the issue of changing lens in the field which seems to be a concern to some.

[ok I borrowed this idea from the days of film and using a "portable darkroom" used to change film in the field.

that process involved placing the camera in a dark bag to prevent light contamination, opening the camera and removing the film and putting in different film. and placing the exposed film into an airtight container]

take a dry cleaning bag or similar large plastic bag, put camera and lens into it. take your substitute lens and put it into the bag, remove the lens on the camera and replace.

the bag protects against wind and dust, plus you can see exactly what you are doing (unlike the blind fumbling of the portable dark room).

downside: the weight of the plastic bags

otherwise ????

thoughts???

10-21-2016, 07:23 AM   #32
Pentaxian

I'd rather just carry two cameras myself.
10-21-2016, 07:30 AM   #33
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'd rather just carry two cameras myself.
so do I but on vacations, and I am using a vehicle, not hiking, I have more in the back pack, ready to change out if the opportunity knocks and I have time. some time I will carry one or two extras, or perhaps converters in a small camera bag with me if I am walking.

less obvious than having two cameras hanging off both sides of the body.

to each their own.
10-21-2016, 09:02 AM   #34

Original Poster
As I wrote above I tried the two camera approach myself and it didn't work for me. I mean, it could work in the occasions of photographic missions or trips, but when I'm walking around on weekends or during vacations it's just too much.
I'd rather switch lenses and clean my sensor one time more than regular.
However, my initial post was about "what to do with my K30 as I'll upgrade to K1 and why many people keep their lesser quality/older body (or high quality corp sensor body) after they have upgraded to FF", not much about the issue of switching lenses in the fileld.

10-21-2016, 09:10 AM   #35
Pentaxian

When I'm walking around on weekends or trips with friends I usually take my 18-135 on my K-3. Getting a similar quality lens for the K-1 is pretty much impossible, although I have arranged to pick up am FA 28-200 to see if it might be the equivalent. That would be my kind of one lens solution. SO my last piece of advice would be, look at what you have for your K-30 and see what you'd end up with on a K-1. If your 70-200 is the only FF lens you have...that makes the K-1 package not very portable, Most of the walking around I do, I don't want a lens anywhere near that size. That's my big issue with my K-1 at the moment. I have much more flexibility in lens choice with my K-3.\\On the other hand, if you can pick up a 28-105 and be happy, you're laughing. I Just know from my use of the 18-135, that's not going to make me happy. A 28-200 might.
10-21-2016, 09:16 AM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

I kept the K-r for a back up when I bought my K5iis but have never needed it for that. When I am shooting the very odd sporting event that I need two lenses for I borrow my wife's K5 and 16-45 as both cameras then use the same battery and it is easier to change settings without remembering where on one model and where on the other. If I did not have access to the K5 I would more likely keep the K-r as I have finally decided I do not need it at all.

Personally if I was you and you do not have access to another body I would more than likely keep the K30 but if selling it allows you to purchase I lens you want then go that route.
10-21-2016, 08:49 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
on the issue of changing lens in the field which seems to be a concern to some.

[ok I borrowed this idea from the days of film and using a "portable darkroom" used to change film in the field.

that process involved placing the camera in a dark bag to prevent light contamination, opening the camera and removing the film and putting in different film. and placing the exposed film into an airtight container]

take a dry cleaning bag or similar large plastic bag, put camera and lens into it. take your substitute lens and put it into the bag, remove the lens on the camera and replace.

the bag protects against wind and dust, plus you can see exactly what you are doing (unlike the blind fumbling of the portable dark room).

downside: the weight of the plastic bags

otherwise ????

thoughts???
Plastic bag = High risk of electrostatic discharge that could fry the camera or lens. Lint free anti static options are available. Just stay away from generic plastic.

10-21-2016, 08:51 PM   #38
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Plastic bag = High risk of electrostatic discharge that could fry the camera or lens. Lint free anti static options are available. Just stay away from generic plastic.
Learn something new every day
10-21-2016, 08:56 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
Learn something new every day
Technically ESD plastics are those that bleed off a charge safely but a sudden discharge is what I am warning against. I've used run of the mill plastic in wet weather since humid wet conditions quell static. But in dry conditions be wary.
10-21-2016, 09:10 PM - 2 Likes   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Keep the k30 and use it to take pictures of your K-1? Or better yet, pictures of you and your k-1 enjoying exotic locations together?
10-22-2016, 07:05 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Keep the k30 and use it to take pictures of your K-1? Or better yet, pictures of you and your k-1 enjoying exotic locations together?
This made me smile.