Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2016, 03:56 AM   #1

More than one camera body?

Hi all

I'll be upgrading from K30 to K1 in a few months. I read posts on here where many of you have more than one camera body. I'm in doubt whether to keep my K30 (as a backup) or sell it to soften the purchase of the K1 a bit, since I'll need a couple new FF lenses too (currently the only one I have that can be FF compatible is the Sigma 70-200 DG HSM, others will need to be used in crop mode untill I get suitable replacements).

I was wondering what's the reason many of you guys with a K1 still keep a K3II or K5 other than backup purposes. Is that because the APS-C sized bodies offer features that the bigger sister doesn't? If so what? Are there any other reasons?

My trusty K30 is 4 years old and I loved every minute with it, but it's starting to become a bit outdated and going for as low as $230/250 here and on other boards or second hand markets so I'm not sure if selling it will be worth it...

Thanx

10-12-2016, 04:03 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I didn't get rid of mine. My DA15, DA21, DA*50-135 and Sigma 17-50 are all great lenses and I still use them on APS-C.

If you have to sell all your crop factor stuff to offset your FF purchase, fair enough.

10-12-2016, 04:17 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Forum Member

Reasons I held onto the K3II

1. Backup
2. FPS
3. Longer reach without the necessity to crop
4. Lighter weight /smaller package overall
5. Lens investment
6. Sentiment

I think both formats have their place. It's highly situation and specific to the photographer. I can't imagine not having a backup body. Every now and again I make use of the high fps on the K3II, the K1 is just painfully slow. I was aware of it when purchasing but it does not make it easier to accept. Instead of stressing, I can just use a body that's suited for purpose. Occasionally, I want to go light, and light K1 is not. Than there are the unique lenses that are just made for APS-C and why compromise on size and in some cases even quality, when you can just use them with a body they were meant for?

And last, but not least....I get terribly attached to my Pentax bodies. One day, some of them will maybe go. That day is not now.

The only rational reason to get rid of APS-C when purchasing an FF, to me, is money.
We're all different though, you may very well find yourself not using the old one, ever.
10-12-2016, 04:32 AM   #4

Original Poster
All valid points.

Now, backing up with a crop body means having crop lenses which almost doubles up the weight of gear to be brought on shoulders; on top of this, are there any features that the K30 can compete on with the K1?

10-12-2016, 04:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gerax Quote
Now, backing up with a crop body means having crop lenses which almost doubles up the weight of gear to be brought on shoulders;
I don't get this. Plenty of "crop" lenses, like DA 35mm, DA 50mm, will work just as well on the K-1, though their edge performance will be slightly less good. Even true crop lenses like the DA 10-17mm can still be used in FF mode at some settings (zoom and focus), or just use them on crop mode. Secondly, all FF lenses can also be used on crop camera body. All of them.
If you have any legacy lenses, the FA or F or A series, they are also all FF.
The line between FF and APSC lens is not so hard. Its a soft line, and you can push it a little bit.

But if you think you should sell some gear, please, go right ahead. Many people sell something to fund another purchase.

The main advantages of the K-30 are that it is much smaller, especially with a pancake lens. And the K-30 might have a faster burst rate, allow AA-adapter. These might not be big issues, but the size and weight can be important in some cases, for example if you are traveling or if you want to take it to a concert or sports event (where they often won't allow big, professional-looking cameras)
You can find a quick technical comparison here:
Pentax K-30 vs. Pentax K-1 vs. Pentax K-3 II - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com
10-12-2016, 05:36 AM   #6

Hi gerax
Depends on the kind of photography you are doing I would say. If you are into landscape portrait or macro (basically any kind of photography where you can take 10min to have the perfect shot), it does not really make sense to keep an extra camera body. If you are into events or sports it can be very handy. For press/weddings I always shoot with two cameras in order to get different fields of view without changing lens every second. For instance you can have a wide angle on one and a telephoto on the other. And as mentioned by others in case you have a failure of battery/memory card/hardware with one camera, you can keep shooting until you have some time to fix this.
Regarding the lenses, you can have mainly FF lenses and they still work on the APSC. Just use the wide angles on FF and the telephoto on APSC...
Hope this helps !
10-12-2016, 06:15 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Having a backup camera with you means carrying the weight of that body. But owning a backup camera just means you have the option to carry it use it if needed. No one forces it into your bag! Lol.
The backup crop body can always make use of the full frame lenses without issue. (Framing options may be different due to field of view.). There is no reason to bring crop lenses for backup unless the shooting conditions require it. (For example landscape photos might need a wider lens than the ff lenses you have when mounted on the crop body. )
Keeping a backup is important if you are selling services. If you don't sell services it is more of a luxury.

10-12-2016, 06:40 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanx everybody for your feedback.

I see what your points are. My plan would be to keep body and crop lenses after I get the K1 untill I'll be able to get all FF lenses (mainly looking into the the FA 15-30 WR as I do quite a bit of landscapes).
This way I'll have a full compatibility with the K30 in case of a backup emergency and could either shoot in crop mode and eventually in FF mode in some instances (I seem to recall the Sigma 10-20 can be used down to 15mm on the K1, not sure about the Sigma 17-50). After I'll have switched I'll decide wether to sell the crop lenses to soften the econoimic bite of the FF lenses or not...
I don't offer services but nothing freaks me out more than hiking 1hr to a location for a breathtaking view and not being able to take the shot because of a body failure or such, so a backup it's still crucial...
10-12-2016, 06:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
keep the k30

it is a great camera

frankly I hate changing lenses in the field
I almost always take two bodies with a lens each when I go out

the k30 is light enough I barely notice
10-12-2016, 06:57 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanx everybody for your feedback.

I see what your points are. My plan would be to keep body and crop lenses after I get the K1 untill I'll be able to get all FF lenses (mainly looking into the the FA 15-30 WR as I do quite a bit of landscapes).
This way I'll have a full compatibility with the K30 in case of a backup emergency and could either shoot in crop mode and eventually in FF mode in some instances (I seem to recall the Sigma 10-20 can be used down to 15mm on the K1, not sure about the Sigma 17-50). After I'll have switched I'll decide wether to sell the crop lenses to soften the econoimic bite of the FF lenses or not...
I don't offer services but nothing freaks me out more than hiking 1hr to a location for a breathtaking view and not being able to take the shot because of a body failure or such, so a backup it's still crucial...
Carrying a second kit will increase the load a good bit. I typically toss a smaller camera like my Panasonic LX7 in as a backup. It offers 24-90 equivalent field of view at 10mp. Recently I acquired a gx-1 that I will try as an alternative to the lx7 (16mp, larger sensor, 24-64mm field of view with the 12-32 pancake lens, ISO performance to offset the slower lens.)
The lx7 took about the same space as a lens in my bag.
10-12-2016, 07:12 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
keep the k30

it is a great camera

frankly I hate changing lenses in the field
I almost always take two bodies with a lens each when I go out

the k30 is light enough I barely notice
I tried the 2 bodies x 2 lenses to have tele + wide angle at the same time, I did that with K30 + K-01...didn't work for me, so a second body would be exclusively for backup purposes and in field trips or locations where I cannot afford to loose a shot.

Is the K1 so much bigger / heavier than the K30?
I use to carry all of my gear with me almost all of the times as I think that even when you are in for a particular assignment where one of the lenses gets almost 100% of the use, sometimes, changing lens for a different perspective produces some killer shots...I noticed the thing that makes a huge difference in weight (for me) is the tirpod, not sure about how much a second body would add up to the kit.
Plus, having to gather shots from 2 SD cards when selecting shots...forget about that (I think I'll set the 2 SD in the K1 for backup purposes).
10-12-2016, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sell it and get a second K-1
10-12-2016, 08:07 AM   #13
Pentaxian

You can use FF glass on an APSC body without problems, but it's bigger and heavier than glass designed for APSC. But...

Each format has its advantages, as does each body.

I bought a K-S1 because it's a small light body. When paired with my DA Ltd's it offers a great light-weight solution for carrying all day.

APSC offers an effective 1.5x increase in focal length, providing more reach.

FF offers better resolution and less noise.

Consider what the K30 offers as a complement to the K1 and then decide whether to keep it.

Last edited by JohnX; 10-12-2016 at 08:17 AM.
10-12-2016, 08:44 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Now, backing up with a crop body means having crop lenses
No. No, it doesn't.

Why else do you think the FA (film-era) Limited primes, the FA50/1.4, and the FA35/2.0 have remained in production or available from new old stock since the end of the film era? Sure there are some die-hards who've never stopped shooting their Pentax film bodies, and others who've taken it up since (the latter including me), but the number of Pentax DSLR-only shooters must surely be far greater.

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
APSC offers an effective 1.5x increase in focal length, providing more reach.
Not in this case, it doesn't - the crop area of the K-1 is as near equal as makes no difference to the actual sensor area of the K-30 as regards pixel pitch. OP need only switch to crop mode to get that benefit, and will also gain in signal processing, shake reduction, and a massively increased density of AF points. It's one of the reasons I've got no hesitation about making the jump up (roll on, Christmas); as a trader-up from the K-5, I stand to lose almost nothing and gain far more. Had I been the owner of a K-3, I would have sat tight.
10-12-2016, 09:30 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I have a K1 and do not have a "back up" Pentax body.

The K1 is incredible and no other Pentax body can take it's place (I've owned K3II, K01, & K5IIS).

In a couple years I plan to purchase a second K1 body. Until then, I hope and expect that my current my K1 will continue to operate flawlessly.

Frankly, I've already put my K1 through some rough wilderness conditions and it continues to operate perfectly. The K1 is a rugged camera that can really take abuse and misuse.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 10-12-2016 at 10:11 AM.