Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-13-2016, 03:53 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very Favourable K-1 Review in BJP

British Journal of Photography has a 4 page review of the K-1 this month (7853 Nov 2016) - the BJP, if you don't know, is the oldest (since 1854) and one of the most respected photography journals, so it's a bit of a coup for Pentax. If you're interested in art photography, I'd highly recommend a subscription.

It is a well-informed and very favourable review. They pick up all of its strong points (including knowledgeable and thorough explanations of pixel shift, K-mount compatibility, and the sensor itself) and only really pick on its slower burst rate and limited flash system compatibility, as being barriers to professional uptake.

The headline from the feature reads:
QuoteQuote:
It's a hefty beast of a camera that wipes the floor with most DSLRs...
...Photographers who have not spent time with the K-1 will have no idea what they are missing. Ignorance is not bliss.

10-13-2016, 04:13 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, that's some headline. BJP is a "high brow" publication, with a large professional following. That kind of review is great promotion for the K-1 in pro circles...
10-13-2016, 03:33 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Wow, that's some headline. BJP is a "high brow" publication, with a large professional following. That kind of review is great promotion for the K-1 in pro circles...

Wow, you're not kidding..."***5 TIPS FOR EXTREME MACRO SHOTS YOU WON'T BELIEVE!***" this magazine is NOT.
10-13-2016, 03:36 PM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fat Albert Quote
Wow, you're not kidding..."***5 TIPS FOR EXTREME MACRO SHOTS YOU WON'T BELIEVE!***" this magazine is NOT.
LOL

10-13-2016, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fat Albert Quote
Ha! No. In fact they absolutely never talk about technique or settings and I don't think I've seen a single butterfly or milky waterfall. Unless it's in a line like "the esoteric introspection of the work winds its way into the soul like a butterfly swept away by the milky waterfall of familiarity..." It's got a lot of art-speak in it, but the writing, images and printing are top notch.
10-15-2016, 01:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Ha! No. In fact they absolutely never talk about technique or settings and I don't think I've seen a single butterfly or milky waterfall. Unless it's in a line like "the esoteric introspection of the work winds its way into the soul like a butterfly swept away by the milky waterfall of familiarity..." It's got a lot of art-speak in it, but the writing, images and printing are top notch.
Since your OP, I've been running round the Exeter area trying to find a copy of The British Journal of Photography to be faced with the usual ***5 TIPS FOR EXTREME MACRO SHOTS YOU WON'T BELIEVE!*** old guff.

I guess it needs to be ordered and I don't have an ipad thing either. Was going to subscribe to print copies but I guess they won't deliver to Thailand (home base).
10-15-2016, 02:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You can usually get it in large WH Smiths stores and Waterstones, or they deliver worldwide...
subscriptions:
Apptitude Media
Back issues:
http://apptitudemedia.subscribeonline.co.uk/Back-Issues/2016

They just sent out a facebook post to win this month's copy using this link:
November Issue - Internal Marketing Giveaway

It's a pricey mag, but it's worth getting in print due to the quality of the printing - they use good quality heavyweight paper and a lot of glossy prints. On-screen wouldn't do it justice.

10-15-2016, 02:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

They deliver worldwide...
subscriptions:
Apptitude Media
Back issues:
Apptitude Media

They just sent out a facebook post to win this month's copy using this link:
November Issue - Internal Marketing Giveaway
Ooooo! Probably get intercepted by a Thai customs officer who's into photography. Might have to get an iPad for the electronic edition. Downloaded iTunes to my Windows PC but . . . well I can't figure it all out these days. It's all very confusing.
10-15-2016, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My edit was too slow...I really would encourage you to get the print edition if you can.
10-15-2016, 02:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member

My edit was too slow...I really would encourage you to get the print edition if you can.
I've found a list of vendors who I shall approach tomorrow to order the November 2016 edition (this I think is the one with the K-1 review).

Thank you Victor!
10-15-2016, 03:11 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fascinating. It would be interesting to know which DSLRs they thought it did not wipe the floor with. Still, as a Pentax-invested amateur/enthusiast, that's good enough for me. I shall, I think, be looking out for Black Friday K-1 prices and jumping in.
10-15-2016, 03:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Fascinating. It would be interesting to know which DSLRs they thought it did not wipe the floor with. Still, as a Pentax-invested amateur/enthusiast, that's good enough for me. I shall, I think, be looking out for Black Friday K-1 prices and jumping in.
Honestly, you won't regret it.

I've bought many, many photographic tools, often when I could least afford them, and . . . well, most have caused mild disappointment, don't believe the hype and all that.

K-1? No disappointment. No regret. Just shoot.
10-15-2016, 04:17 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Fascinating. It would be interesting to know which DSLRs they thought it did not wipe the floor with.
Later, the full quote says 'wipes the floor with others at 2 or even 3 times the price', so presumably they believe you could spend 4x or more and get better - other reviews they have done were for Leicas, Phase 1's and the medium format Hassleblad, so they are not shy to review extreme-priced bodies. They often mention in this review that you would need to spend much more to match or exceed the K-1 features, but also are honest about the drawbacks of the K-1 and the Pentax ecosystem as a whole, particularly 3rd party options on the lens and flash front, so it's not unqualified praise. But they seem to love the body itself.