Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2016, 02:33 PM   #1

Breaking in the K-1

Just came back from a 2 week road trip from Ohio to Main. Got to find some nice fall colors and other beautiful scenery and finally had the time to familiarize myself with this fine camera. One problem that I don't remember having with the K20 was when switching between M and auto aperture lenses.

If I put an M lens on and forget to change from aperture priority to M, the camera gets the exposure right, but the small preview does not reveal the loss of depth of field. The camera will not stop the manual lens down. I finally caught it when I noticed the shutter speeds were not changing when I stopped down. In time I will get the hang of it,

One thing I am really happy about is getting the DFA 100 macro before the trip. I think it was used the most, along with the Ricoh/Sears 50/1.7. Rarely did I need anything wider. With film the 28mm was often useful and I am sure I will use wider lenses with other subjects in the future.

10-17-2016, 02:53 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DSLRnovice Quote
Just came back from a 2 week road trip from Ohio to Main. Got to find some nice fall colors and other beautiful scenery and finally had the time to familiarize myself with this fine camera. One problem that I don't remember having with the K20 was when switching between M and auto aperture lenses.
The behavior should be the same. With K-mount lenses, correct exposure isn't guaranteed in Av mode unless you're shooting wide-open. See:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-17-2016, 04:11 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The behavior should be the same. With K-mount lenses, correct exposure isn't guaranteed in Av mode unless you're shooting wide-open. See:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html
To clarify, I have been getting fairly correct exposures with the K-1 and manual lenses, both in manual (with green button) and aperture priority. In aperture priority, I believe the lens stays wide open, and the shutter speed is set to match with the lens wide open. The problem is that I don't get the depth of field I expect from the aperture set on the lens.

In the preview the exposure looks good, but when enlarged important elements are not in sharp focus.
10-17-2016, 04:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

In the preview the exposure looks good, but when enlarged important elements are not in sharp focus.
It is quite possible that there is slight BF/FF issue with lens, which can likely be corrected with fine adjustment feature on the camera.

Last edited by aleonx3; 10-17-2016 at 05:02 PM.
10-17-2016, 04:55 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you view at 100%, the higher sensor resolution will show more technical problems vs your old camera (slight out of focus, blur from the subject moving etc). If you similar subjects with both cameras at similar settings, compare photos side by side at the same displayed or printed size e.g full screen on your computer.
10-17-2016, 05:05 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
It is quite possible that there is slight BF/FF issue with lens, which can likely be corrected it with fine adjustment feature on the camera.
My OP was referring to different situations. I prefer to use Av mode with A and FA and DFA lenses. But I also have several manual focus lenses that require the camera to be set to M. Several times I have forgotten to change to M with manual lenses. In these cases when the camera is in any other mode than M, the camera does not stop the aperture down but changes the shutter speed to correctly expose with the lens wide open.

What I should have said was that the main subject was in focus, but because the manual lens did not stop down to a smaller aperture while in Av, elements closer or more distant than the main subject were not sharp. When I realized that the camera was not set to M after changing from a modern lens, I reshot the photo. This time in Manual, the aperture stopped down as was set on the lens and the greater depth of field allowed more things to be in sharp focus as I originally intended.

I am considering just staying in M all the time. I am very comfortable with the "match needle" type of exposure system anyway. It has its advantages!
10-17-2016, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I am considering just staying in M all the time. I am very comfortable with the "match needle" type of exposure system anyway. It has its advantages!
And ironically one of the most common failure modes of the K-1 is for the mode dial to leave users stuck in manual. So if that happens to you, you should be fine!

10-17-2016, 05:20 PM   #8

Original Poster
One thing I should add: yes the behavior of the K20 and K-1 are the same with manual lenses. Maybe as I get older I am becoming more forgetful about changing settings or just out of practice!

Now I am understanding why screw mount lenses are still so popular. Since the aperture is all manual it demands your attention and there is less chance of this happening.