Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-17-2016, 11:07 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-1 and Aperture

Best I can tell, Aperture does not yet support K-1 RAW files. Is that the case or have I missed something?

Before Aperture was updated to support my K-3, I used (at Norm's suggestion) the Adobe RAW converter to produce files that Aperture could digest. I assume this process would also work for a K-1 - anyone have any experience with this procedure in conjunction with K-1 RAW files?

Originally, I intended to get a K-1 (if I buy one at all) only after it's supported by Aperture, but one might end up under the Christmas tree. So, it would be nice to know that I can shoot RAW while waiting for Apple to pay attention to the K-1.

Thanks.

Jer

11-17-2016, 11:20 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
probably will not support the K-1 in the future, either, since Apple has stopped development of Aperture and moved on to Photos...

I've moved to macphun's Luminar application on my Mac and it is proving to be a useful piece of software....
11-17-2016, 11:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian

As far as I understand it, RAW support of Aperture, iPhoto and Photos is depending on the systems RAW support.

What System are you using? There has been a RAW Compatibility Update published in January for OSX 10.11 that supports the K-1. Meaning it should also be integrated into macOS 10.12. I don't know if it's supported on systems prior to 10.11

I made the transition from Aperture to Lightroom about a year ago because of Apple discontinuing it. It took a while to get used to but I couldn't be happier now.

Last edited by alpheios; 11-17-2016 at 11:57 AM.
11-17-2016, 11:47 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
[I[t would be nice to know that I can shoot RAW while waiting for Apple to pay attention to the K-1.
Well, Apple has discontinued development for Aperture, and has already issued updates to MacOS to support K-1 raws in Finder and Photos. I recommend migrating to Lightroom or Photoshop + Bridge, if your needs are beyond modest, or the new Photos app if they're simply modest.

11-17-2016, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Apple updates it's image converter separate from Aperture, it is updated, there's a K-1 profile. Tess just bought a new iMac 4k, and ported Aperture over, it still works great. I'm importing K-1 files every day without issue. Just be sure you have the latest OS upgrade installed. Camera importer updates come with the OS upgrades. If you don't have the latest Apple upgrade, (free) you may not have the K-1 profile.

Apple may not be supporting Aperture, but they have not broken it by making i incompatible with current OS upgrades either.
It is what it is, it's just not getting any better, where as Lightroom and other software has.

It's still miles ahead of any other Apple solution, and I hate , despise and loathe Adobe.

All three of those things.... honest.

If you consider I paid $79 for this version of Aperture, and I've sued it 6 years now, it's one of my best purchases ever, like less than $20 per year... an it just keeps on going. It's like cocaine...

"They say cocaine is for horses, not for men
They say it will kill me but they won't say when"

They say Aperture will die, but they won't say when.

Last edited by normhead; 11-17-2016 at 12:07 PM.
11-17-2016, 07:46 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Apple updates it's image converter separate from Aperture, it is updated, there's a K-1 profile. Tess just bought a new iMac 4k, and ported Aperture over, it still works great. I'm importing K-1 files every day without issue. Just be sure you have the latest OS upgrade installed. Camera importer updates come with the OS upgrades. If you don't have the latest Apple upgrade, (free) you may not have the K-1 profile.

Apple may not be supporting Aperture, but they have not broken it by making i incompatible with current OS upgrades either.
It is what it is, it's just not getting any better, where as Lightroom and other software has.

It's still miles ahead of any other Apple solution, and I hate , despise and loathe Adobe.

All three of those things.... honest.

If you consider I paid $79 for this version of Aperture, and I've sued it 6 years now, it's one of my best purchases ever, like less than $20 per year... an it just keeps on going. It's like cocaine...

"They say cocaine is for horses, not for men
They say it will kill me but they won't say when"

They say Aperture will die, but they won't say when.
You're saving my ass again (assuming Connie delivers a K-1), Norm. I bought a new iMac about six months ago (only because my old one - along with other stuff - got fried by static/lighting) , and I just upgraded to OS Sierra, and Photo is in it's latest iteration - so I should be good to go.

Like you, I have a visceral detestation for Adobe - I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Jer

---------- Post added 11-17-2016 at 11:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Well, Apple has discontinued development for Aperture, and has already issued updates to MacOS to support K-1 raws in Finder and Photos. I recommend migrating to Lightroom or Photoshop + Bridge, if your needs are beyond modest, or the new Photos app if they're simply modest.
Thanks much - I'm running the latest stuff, so I ought to be able to make it work!

Jer

---------- Post added 11-17-2016 at 11:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
probably will not support the K-1 in the future, either, since Apple has stopped development of Aperture and moved on to Photos...

I've moved to macphun's Luminar application on my Mac and it is proving to be a useful piece of software....
QuoteOriginally posted by alpheios Quote
As far as I understand it, RAW support of Aperture, iPhoto and Photos is depending on the systems RAW support.

What System are you using? There has been a RAW Compatibility Update published in January for OSX 10.11 that supports the K-1. Meaning it should also be integrated into macOS 10.12. I don't know if it's supported on systems prior to 10.11

I made the transition from Aperture to Lightroom about a year ago because of Apple discontinuing it. It took a while to get used to but I couldn't be happier now.
Thanks much - I'll check out macphun and I'm glad to hear the Lightroom (which I've avoided like the plague) may be an option.

Jer
11-22-2016, 11:23 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have a 2015 4K iMac still running Yosemite OS and Aperture seems to do fine with files from my K-1.