Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2022, 02:50 PM   #76

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
What I have done in the past for shim adjustment is if you are lucky and your shim is too thin I just keep gluing lens paper to the shim using crazy glue and weight it down until it hardens, cut out the shim check if its thick enough and repeat until you reach the correct thickness.

I also in the past for shims used an acid bath to cut very thin stock of brass or copper used in shimming material. coat what you don't want cut out with wax and drop in your acid bath
Old-ish post i know, but still relevant. So please if you can avoid using super-glue/crazy glue anywhere near plastic, especially focus screens-it is lethal to plastic, and can outgas for some time even after it has hardened.

06-06-2022, 03:03 PM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by martin42mm Quote
Old-ish post i know, but still relevant. So please if you can avoid using super-glue/crazy glue anywhere near plastic, especially focus screens-it is lethal to plastic, and can outgas for some time even after it has hardened.
I would suggest Titebond Wood Glue - Type III I think is the one that is moisture resistant.
06-06-2022, 11:34 PM   #78
Forum Member

One thing I experimented with recently is plastic shim stock. I took the original shim, used packaging tape to affix it to the plastic shim stock, and cut along the edges with an xacto knife to get a replica. Very tedious, especially with the thicker material and the edges have lots of burrs. I might try and see if my friend's cricut machine can cut the shim stock with enough precision to get cleaner results. The shims provided by focusing-screen was good enough for now, but eventually I'll see if I can get greater accuracy with these shims I made.

In other news, uscamera is no longer able to order repair parts from Pentax (only Precision camera can order parts) so they're not able to order the OEM shim set anymore.
07-28-2022, 04:34 PM   #79
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Are folks still ordering and using screens from FocusingScreen on their K-1's? I could be tempted, very easily indeed, since I use manual lenses a lot.