Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2016, 02:48 PM   #1

Overcoming the K1's screen bulge discomfort

When I upgraded from the K5 to K1 this year, one immediate ergonomic downside was that the cool articulating screen bulges several mms out the back of the camera, meaning that my nose is pushed against the screen when using the viewfinder. I've become used to this, but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of using viewfinder accessories, (e.g. Pentax O-ME53 Magnifying Eyecup 30150 B&H Photo Video ) and whether this improves the K1's overall feel to use? Any advice would be welcome. NB: I'm very happy with the K1, but everything can be improved

11-19-2016, 03:41 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This has been the subject of much discussion in the past, and not necessarily about the K-1. The general consensus is that most aftermarket viewfinder magnifiers are helpful in relieving this situation, if not solving the problem completely.

Personally, I have used the Tenpa magnifier, but it seems to be a little scarce recently. Others have used the Pentax accessory successfully, even though it doesn't stand the eye off the camera body as much as others. I haven't felt the need to transfer the Tenpa to my K-1, but I don't have the need for a larger viewfinder image, as I did with the APS-C bodies.

Last edited by RobA_Oz; 11-19-2016 at 11:17 PM.
11-19-2016, 04:40 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is a thread on the topic that includes some recent activity:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/314537-will-eyecup-o-me53-work-k-1-a.html

Steve
11-20-2016, 04:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dericali Quote
nd whether this improves the K1's overall feel to use?
Absolutely. I was worried that it wouldn't work on the K-1 due to the OVF being bigger than the K-3, but I have one on both my K-3 and my K-1 and it has made a world of difference.

I've tried aftermarket magnifiers (namely the Tenpa 1.36x) and let me tell you that it's a piece of crap. The Pentax is THE option, not an option.

-Heie