Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-23-2016, 04:24 AM - 2 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery
pentax lenses tests on K1

Le Monde de la photo, Do not know if this has already been posted.

11-23-2016, 06:02 AM - 1 Like   #2

Y at-il une version anglaise? Je ne parle pas un mot de français.
11-23-2016, 06:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shahnm Quote
Nope, only a french version but you can try Google translate.
11-23-2016, 06:51 AM   #4

Original Poster
Google translation

11-23-2016, 07:02 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Excellent results, and also impressive how fast DxO has apparently found a way to test the new lenses and older lenses on the K-1. Is this the fastest DxO response ever?

I may have to stop calling them idiots, although that would be a little extreme.

The old FA* 80-200 sure didn't have a good day in the lab. I wonder if they got a damaged lens. But then I've never seen many images taken with this lens, all I know is people want way to much money for it. Given the excellence of the Tamron option, it should be going for half the price of the Tamron.

Last edited by normhead; 11-23-2016 at 07:14 AM.
11-23-2016, 07:08 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow. The fa* 80-200 did not fare well in testing. My own tests on the k-3 seemed better than that. But k-1 is a different animal using the entire image circle.
11-23-2016, 07:34 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shahnm Quote
Actually, the text only describe the figures, without telling much more. So, you don't miss much by not reading the text, unless you like to read things like: "is sharp in the center but corners are soft at wide aperture...". Everything is in the figures.

The main conclusions are that they're all recommandable. The 15-30 is excellent with almost prime like IQ, the 24-70 is one of the sharpest they tested, the 70-200 is near the Nikon but somewhat soft in the corners at 2.8.

The FA31,43 and 77 are all "pro level" (whatever it means). The 100mm macro is excellent at all apertures, and is also a high level lens.

What's interesting is that they also tested the older FA* 28-70 and 80-200. The 80-200 just isn't good enough to be used on a 36MP DSLR. If you can't get the DFA, you're better to look at third party offerings than getting this old lens. On the other hand, the 28-70 is still very usable as long as you close the aperture a bit, and even is excellent in the middle of the focal range.

As a sidenote, they also say they tested the DA40 and DA70. The IQ in the center is excellent but degrades significantly outside the APS-C circle. Their conclusion is that although they're usable on the K-1, they should only be seen as stop gap solutions before getting FA lenses.

Last edited by CarlJF; 11-23-2016 at 07:42 AM.
11-23-2016, 07:48 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
As a sidenote, they also say they tested the DA40 and DA70. The IQ in the center is excellent but degrades significantly outside the APS-C circle. Their conclusion is that although they're usable on the K-1, they should only be seen as stop gap solutions before getting FA lenses.
I wonder if all DA lenses are like that. Most of my lenses are FA or in the case of the DA*200 and DA* 60-250, they were both Full Frame designs, so I'm not going to take their word for it until they've actually tested those lenses. It's not clear from the DA designation which were designed for a full frame circle and which weren't.

Last edited by normhead; 11-23-2016 at 07:55 AM.
11-23-2016, 07:52 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Interesting results - the D FA 15-30 and 24-70 seems to be about perfect, while the D FA* 70-200 is quite good but with poor corners wide open. The D FA* test appears to disagree with ephotozine's:
Pentax HD PENTAX-D FA* 70-200mm f/2.8 ED DC AW Review
11-23-2016, 08:15 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The D FA* test appears to disagree with ephotozine's:
and my experience, as well - no way is it inferior to the 24-70 - I think they need another colour for 'stunning' for the best resolution of the lens
11-23-2016, 08:44 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Interesting results - the D FA 15-30 and 24-70 seems to be about perfect, while the D FA* 70-200 is quite good but with poor corners wide open. The D FA* test appears to disagree with ephotozine's:
The testers can't agree with each other, yet we are supposed to look at their work as definitive... just saying.

QuoteQuote:
and my experience, as well - no way is it inferior to the 24-70 - I think they need another colour for 'stunning' for the best resolution of the lens
Maybe they should have borrowed your lenses for the test.

I'm suspicious of anyone using a sample size of less than 10 lenses...
I'm dismissive of anyone testing less than 5.

What I want to see in a lens test, is the result from testing with a grouping. What is the best I might get? what is the worst I might get? Is there a cluster of lenses in the middle of the curve and if so what are the averages across that cluster? Because that would be what I would be most likely to get.) That would be lens testing. This nonsense, not so much.

This type of testing is often available form lensrentals.com for the lenses they rent out.

And even they don't go ito the important stuff. From what lenses do people actually prefer the images and how strong are those preferences? Lens performance is subjective, a lens could have all the best specs ever, and still not be liked by a lot of people. Until these tests are couple with how real human beings respond to the images, they mean nothing.

Anyone testing one lens, has information on that lens. While that may be more than most of us know, it still is not enough to draw a conclusion about the group of lenses with that designation taken as a whole.

The thing is, I never have a problem looking at these tests and saying my copy is better or worse than that. Sample variation is known it's documented, and once lenses get out of the lab and experience some real life bumps and rinds, like the FA*80-200 they tested, it only gets worse.

I know folks like DxO and these magazines pump this rogue testing for all it's worth, but, trust it at your peril. It's not real science. It's science applied without knowledge of statistics or probability in single subject trials. Imagine if you tried to get a drug approved with trials like that .

Buy your lens for the price, quality, focal lengths and aperture that you need, and make it work. The thing I find most irritating, these guys are researchers, they know the limitations of their tests. yet , no fine print, no disclaimers, throw it out here and make like you're some kind of authority. I guess that's what makes them money.

Last edited by normhead; 11-23-2016 at 10:18 AM.
11-23-2016, 10:11 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I find the best information is from the lens reviews here on the forum, there are many images posted so we see what that particular item is capable of.
11-23-2016, 10:21 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I wonder if all DA lenses are like that. Most of my lenses are FA or in the case of the DA*200 and DA* 60-250, they were both Full Frame designs, so I'm not going to take their word for it until they've actually tested those lenses. It's not clear from the DA designation which were designed for a full frame circle and which weren't.
I've no idea if all DA lenses are like that. But I guess we should expect significant variation between copies since QC for FF circle certainly isn't done on these lenses...

Anyway, I think their recommandation is just common sense. What they basically say is that with the K-1, unless you already have the DA lenses, you're probably better to buy FA lenses rather than trying your luck with DA lenses. In the specific cases of the DA40 and DA70, they just mean that you should aim for the FA43 and FA77 if you want to get best out of the K-1.
11-23-2016, 10:34 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
I've no idea if all DA lenses are like that. But I guess we should expect significant variation between copies since QC for FF circle certainly isn't done on these lenses...

Anyway, I think their recommandation is just common sense. What they basically say is that with the K-1, unless you already have the DA lenses, you're probably better to buy FA lenses rather than trying your luck with DA lenses. In the specific cases of the DA40 and DA70, they just mean that you should aim for the FA43 and FA77 if you want to get best out of the K-1.
Not one of those lenses is under $1000 in Canada. There may be a lot of us trying to find cheaper ways to work this out.

I think I need a "K-1 on a budget" club. I just can't hang with all the big spenders.
11-29-2016, 09:06 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
I find the best information is from the lens reviews here on the forum, there are many images posted so we see what that particular item is capable of.

Im not so certain. Whilst I love having access to the user reviews and find them helpful, I find many of them to be biased so I take them with a grain of salt (unless images are provided). The number of 10/10 for sharpness that I see is way too high.