Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-29-2016, 02:16 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Nothing that I've seen from the DA40 comes even close to those levels of corner shading. Vignetting is certainly there, but generally it is not bothersome. Could be much worse!
Correct, absolutely. I think people are more worried about the potential distortions of the image in the corners. I'll try to formally test this evening.

11-29-2016, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Re the vignetting discussion, I think sometimes people are over-anxious about seeing a degree of light falloff at the edges of ANY lens, let alone the DA 40.

But even many new, dedicated FF lenses vignette a LOT, and often more than the DA 40 appears to. A quick scan of similar focal length lenses on lenstip.com, for example, will show you that on full-frame the Sigma 35 f1.4 or the Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* 35 mm f/2.8 both lose a huge 60% (or more) of their light in the frame corners wide open, and even stopped down continue to lose lots of light in the corners.

Nothing that I've seen from the DA40 comes even close to those levels of corner shading. Vignetting is certainly there, but generally it is not bothersome. Could be much worse!

Correct. I need to add vignette to the 40 SX images in post to get the looks I want.
12-04-2016, 05:30 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Corner sharpness and Vignetting

I just got the K-1 & 28-105 bundle 5 days ago. I've had a DA 40 Limited for quite a while so I tried a somewhat controlled FF comparison with the 28-105 (at 40mm, of course) on the K-1.

Under incandescent light with capture mode at Program/MTF, AF-S spot, I shot a very colorful and detailed woven fabric at a 45-degree angle. On the DNG files as shown by Lightroom (default preset) at fullscreen on an HD 15" monitor there is no discernible difference anywhere in the frame. Only by pixel-peeping at 1:1 can I detect a very slight superiority of the 28-105 at the lower-right corner.

And in my regional camera club competitions, the judges encourage vignetting. So as far as I'm concerned, the DA 40 is a FF lens.

Edit: But if the DA 40 is no better than the D-FA 28-105, I would keep the DA 40 only for use on my K3.

Last edited by Skewed; 12-05-2016 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Addendum
12-27-2016, 12:14 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I just took a look at my DA 40 with my new K-1 by shooting a picture of a house across the street. My test is not rigorous, because in the last two shots (f/5.6 and f/8.0), clouds began passing over the sun changing the conditions a bit. Consequently, I used the auto exposure adjust feature in Apple Photos on each pic.

Based on what I see here, my DA 40 will be usable with my K-1 in FF. I ordered the DFA 28-105 along with the camera so I don't know how much I'll use the DA 40 on my K-1. It's a bit faster than the zoom and perhaps (I've no clue) is superior in other respects.

Jer

f/2.8

f/4.0

f/5.6

f/8.0