Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-06-2016, 02:27 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Firmware update wish

I'd like the back side AF button on the K-1 to be useable for focusing, when camera is set to MF. So I could AF the first time, then continue shooting for focus stacking after camera have been moved on the focus slider... This feature is also valuable for focusing and recomposing - without having to hold the AF button while doing so. It is too fiddely to switch the AF/MF on the fly. The wanted feature can be done currently, but only when using a remote release (C2-10). In other words - I want the backside AF button to be functioning in MF mode too - or even better - I want the choise.

Last edited by Photodana; 12-06-2016 at 02:29 PM. Reason: error, mentioning the camera model
12-06-2016, 02:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Interesting thought, and one I'd probably find useful in implementation. A bit like a complement to the focus limiter on a macro lens, in that you need to be in the right area in the first instance, before final focus.
12-06-2016, 02:49 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Photodana Quote
I'd like the back side AF button on the K-1 to be useable for focusing, when camera is set to MF. So I could AF the first time, then continue shooting for focus stacking after camera have been moved on the focus slider... This feature is also valuable for focusing and recomposing - without having to hold the AF button while doing so. It is too fiddely to switch the AF/MF on the fly. The wanted feature can be done currently, but only when using a remote release (C2-10). In other words - I want the backside AF button to be functioning in MF mode too - or even better - I want the choise.
How would you do this? The reason there's a AF/MF switch is because the screw for screwdrive AF has to physically retract into the body.
12-06-2016, 02:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is already available...it is called Quick Shift.

12-06-2016, 02:55 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
This is already available...it is called Quick Shift.
I haven't seen anyone mod old lenses to support Quick Shift, though.
12-06-2016, 03:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
I haven't seen anyone mod old lenses to support Quick Shift, though.
No, but if it is a feature you want or need, it is available.
As pointed out previously, the mechanical link with the screwdrive makes it not feasible as a firmware update, so not available no matter how much you want or need it.
12-06-2016, 03:11 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Button Customization / AF Button / AF2?
"AF with shutter release button is disabled so AF is performed with the AF button".
The focus switch must be set to AF.

12-06-2016, 03:12 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Button Customization / AF Button / AF2?
"AF with shutter release button is disabled so AF is performed with the AF button".
The focus switch must be set to AF.
The OP is asking for Back-button AF + Manual Focus, without flipping the AF/MF switch.
12-06-2016, 03:14 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

And that's exactly what AF2 is doing - you don't have to "flip the AF/MF switch", just set it to AF and leave it there.
12-06-2016, 03:57 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And that's exactly what AF2 is doing - you don't have to "flip the AF/MF switch", just set it to AF and leave it there.
Clearly I'm misunderstanding something. If I pull out my FA 43, set it to AF2, and want to switch between Backbutton AF and MF, I don't have to mess with the switch? Otherwise, we've already talked about quick shift lenses.
12-06-2016, 04:06 PM   #11
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Clearly I'm misunderstanding something. If I pull out my FA 43, set it to AF2, and want to switch between Backbutton AF and MF, I don't have to mess with the switch? Otherwise, we've already talked about quick shift lenses.
The only way to MF the FA43 is to turn the switch to MF due to the mechanical connection. With AF2 you remove the AF from the shutter button, keeping it to only AF with the AF button.
12-06-2016, 04:08 PM   #12
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I predominantly use the AF button so I'll try AF2 for a while to see if it makes any difference to the way I shoot. Testing it just now by switching between AF1 and AF2 with a manual lens (Zeiss) is making no difference to me.

The reason I hadn't tried the AF2 setting in button customisation was because I'd set mine to AF1, and with the AF/MF switch in AF and using a manual focus lens I received focus confirmation.

As the OP was talking about AF with manual focus selected I tried that and again, AF confirmation works so there's no advantage in using the AF/MF selector; it is as you stated 'set it to AF and leave it there'.

With my K5 the only way to get focus confirmation with a manual lens fitted was to switch the AF/MF switch to MF so the K-1 auto identifying a manual lens is actually quite handy.

Tas
12-06-2016, 04:14 PM   #13
Pentaxian

@lithedreamer:
Well, turning the switch to MF is necessary - with non-QSF lenses - only if you want to focus manually. The OP said "AF the first time, then continue shooting".
But indeed, if you want to focus manually with non-QSF lenses, turning the switch is necessary; no firmware can change that.