Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
12-19-2016, 02:18 PM   #16
Pentaxian

MJKoski :
Of course the magnesium alloy frame does not give in - you don't have enough grip force to bend it, and if you did, it would stay bent. And don't try to explain me how a K-1 feels; you have better chances with someone who never touched a K-1, or a Pentax in general. But a K-1 owner?
As BigMackCam said, use a JIS (not Philips) screwdriver.

Meg4mi: everyone here has a loose screw or two

12-19-2016, 02:44 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I am confused now, are those screws loose on purpose if npc had better results doing the opposite adjustment? Mine got better by tightening everything I could adjust around the grip.

EDIT: Hm, the grip may have uneven glue applied at some areas. I have a trashed D800E body which I totally disassembled a week ago and found out that some areas of the rubber grip had poor application of glue thus making it slide a bit. So it might be that tightening the screws (if loose) will not help in all cases. It is possible that the IR sensor unit moves a tiny bit when pushed from either side of the grip.

Last edited by MJKoski; 12-19-2016 at 02:53 PM.
12-19-2016, 06:51 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
EDIT: Oh boy! The Screws are indeed loose! (Not counting those in my head) But, almost all the screws were not tightened properly around the grip and at the bottom of the grip. Some screws took full 360 degree turn to get proper tightening. 00 or 0-sized head fits properly. The creaking almost vanished totally but not completely - there is one screw at the bottom of a deep little hole inside the battery compartment. I guess it would solve the puzzle for good.
Makes me wonder if your camera sits in a place that vibrates a lot. The screws should not come off though unless they rushed a few half screwed (pun) shipments to the stores to meet the initial demand.

It happened to my K-X though when I had put a very heavy lens on it and picked it up from the side grip instead of picking it up from the underside of the heavy lens. Looks like the tight tolerances in those areas are strained when there is a very heavy lens (like the new D-FA 70-200 or DA*60-250) attached to it.
12-20-2016, 01:14 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Well yeah, the camera travels in trunk of my car and it does get its share from vibrations and bumbs. It has traveled about ~40 000 kilometers so far after June.

12-20-2016, 01:32 AM   #20

Original Poster
Not sure about what to do because , if it's stay (the small movemement) like today, it doesn't really matter but if it amplify with time it could be more problematic.
12-20-2016, 01:56 AM   #21
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Meg4mi Quote
Not sure about what to do because , if it's stay (the small movemement) like today, it doesn't really matter but if it amplify with time it could be more problematic.
If it doesn't concern you right now, I'd leave it as it is but make a note to check it closer to the end of your warranty. I've no doubt Ricoh (or its service partners) can address the problem if required...
12-20-2016, 02:02 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since we don't know what causes the problem how can we fix it?

Mine had some creaking from the day I got it, but I haven't been noticing everytime. I haven't checked the screws as well.

If someone has had his K-1 serviced for this grip creaking he may give us some clue what it is about (and if it is something that worth fixing - if it may worsen up in the future and cause troubles).

12-20-2016, 04:41 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mine does it... screws were tight.
12-20-2016, 05:41 AM   #24
Veteran Member

If I push directly at the IR sensor I can feel some part moving and this produces mild "click" type of sound. Maybe the rubber glue has lost its adhesion capability around the area and thus causes something to move while torque is being applied as lifting begins -> creaking sound.
12-21-2016, 07:45 AM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
If I push directly at the IR sensor I can feel some part moving and this produces mild "click" type of sound. Maybe the rubber glue has lost its adhesion capability around the area and thus causes something to move while torque is being applied as lifting begins -> creaking sound.
In fact what i feel is more like the mild "click" type of sound you've just described.

And if i put some pressure to each side of the grip from left to right or the other way (see picture below) with my thumb and forefinger I can hear that "click" sound (click click, click click, etc....)

12-21-2016, 08:52 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just noted this issue with my grip today. :/
12-22-2016, 01:03 AM   #27
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Has anybody mentioned this to Ricoh via our Ask Ricoh Imaging Support facility? If they're aware of it, perhaps they can set everyone's minds at rest.

It doesn't sound like a serious problem - perhaps a little disconcerting for some, but you should feel the grip on my Canon EOS 5 film camera... that's a relatively thin removable cover for the battery compartment, and it creaks like you wouldn't believe.
12-22-2016, 01:34 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Has anybody mentioned this to Ricoh via our Ask Ricoh Imaging Support facility? If they're aware of it, perhaps they can set everyone's minds at rest.

It doesn't sound like a serious problem - perhaps a little disconcerting for some, but you should feel the grip on my Canon EOS 5 film camera... that's a relatively thin removable cover for the battery compartment, and it creaks like you wouldn't believe.
I didn't bother since it's been some days since there's been any response at all from a Ricoh representative to concerns there. Probably just the holidays.
12-22-2016, 01:38 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Of course the magnesium alloy frame does not give in - you don't have enough grip force to bend it, and if you did, it would stay bent
Cast parts can crack, especially if there is a flaw in the casting or design. That's why critical parts are inspected with x-rays. As I recall someone posted photos of their K-5 or K-3 that had cracked without having been dropped.
12-22-2016, 01:48 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Not consistent with the defect, I think.