Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
12-19-2016, 07:05 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like my FA 50 macro 2.8..... but the Tamron 90 macro and DA*60-250 are right behind.

My FA 35-80 is quite sharp, as is the DFA 28-105. I can't think of any lenses that are really bad on the K-1, except for the FAJ-18-35 and FA 28-200, and an old Vivitar M135 2.8, and those are just bad lenses.

12-19-2016, 07:32 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by svassh Quote
So because I am new to Pentax and looking for opinions on which lens are sharpest I am annoying to you?

I'm sure we all agree the best photographers can get a great photo with the worst equipment under the worst conditions. Well that is not me, I need all the help I can get via the best gear.
I wrote a really long post but then deleted it. Simple answer is this:
Not a lot of data exists about K-1 and the lenses available. However data suggests from other info (film, apsc etc.) that the DFA 50 f/2.8 may be the sharpest current lens. The new DFA zooms are not at all bad.

As for your DA 50 and DA 35 - they are NOT intended for use on Full Frame despite what everyone will say. They do not have lens correction profiles for full frame and despite covering the sensor they are not (as far as we know) tested on full frame for quality. It is possible that despite the optical similarity they just don't perform as well out past the central portion of the image. Mixed results have been posted with some users very happy and others not so happy about these plastic fantastic lenses. If the center of these is not sharp enough you may have some issues with technique, equipment, etc.

Please understand that if you are seeing poor results and others are not - the questions about technique are going to come. Not because we don't trust you but because we have found many many many times that's the problem on every camera - not just the K-1. Over and over we find a lightbulb moment for someone new to the forum who suddenly understands what was mystifying and blamed on the equipment rather than the technique for too long. There are of course exceptions.
12-19-2016, 08:22 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
Yep. Don't have the A but K version. Regardless it produces dreamy renderings. Here is a quick sample. (K-01+50/1.2)
I find the SMC K50/1.2 to fit really well with the FA31 as far as "the look" goes.
12-19-2016, 08:38 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Surprised to see no mention of the DA35 2.8 Macro. Seems like that lens should really excel in this discussion.

12-19-2016, 08:43 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Surprised to see no mention of the DA35 2.8 Macro. Seems like that lens should really excel in this discussion.
That lens does not cover the K1's full frame sensor.

All of the comments so far have been about "full frame" lenses.
12-19-2016, 09:24 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Checking around, I guess you are right, unless the user wants to deal with vignetting.
12-19-2016, 10:43 PM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I am mainly using the DA 35 macro and the DA* 55 on my K-1 in FF mode. Before buying the 55 the 35 mm was my reference in sharpness. But after using the 55 some time now, the 55 is always better in center sharpness (if focused properly).

In FF mode the 55 also has better corner to corner sharpness since it is designed for FF and the 35 macro is not.

Dont get me wrong the 35 macro still shines on the K-1 in FF mode, but you will need to work around its shortcommings because it is no full FF lens. I am still using this lens a lot for everything where I need a wider lens (always in FF mode).

12-19-2016, 10:51 PM   #38
Veteran Member

the jump in wow factor I had expected for the MP size
I'm merely looking for some consensus on what lens people are wowed by. For me that equates to sharpness.
With big MP cameras, delivering sharpness and matching 'wow' is more of a challenge than ever. It's not just the lens. Nikon, as many know, addressed this issue of sharpness perceptions and 36MP shooting technique, specifically for people transitioning from lower-MP cameras, when the D800 was first released.
D800 Technical Guide [PDF - 3MB]

To seek out the sharpest lenses, perhaps just browse down this list of DxOMark lens tests, sort by the sharpness column, and see which lens is available for K-mount. It will be a guide.

A bunch of DxOMark lens tests

The list is incomplete, of course. DxO have, unfortunately, been very indifferent about measuring lenses for Pentax overall, and the K-1 in particular.
12-19-2016, 11:16 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Snakeisthestuff Quote
In FF mode the 55 also has better corner to corner sharpness since it is designed for FF and the 35 macro is not.

Dont get me wrong the 35 macro still shines on the K-1 in FF mode, but you will need to work around its shortcommings because it is no full FF lens. I am still using this lens a lot for everything where I need a wider lens (always in FF mode).
What focusing distances are you using? I believe the reports (and I may be remembering incorrectly) are that the DA35 Macro is ok at either close or distant focus but vignettes HARD in the other. I can't remember which is which.
12-20-2016, 01:23 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To the OP: I think you are asking the wrong question. You don't need sharper lenses. If you're getting bad results with the gear you have, you are doing something wrong and "better" glass won't fix it.

Post some example images, with enough EXIF data for an informed critique, and we might be able to point you in the right direction.

That said, to answer your original question: The FA31 is my sharpest wide angle. The DA*55 is my sharpest normal. The DFA100WR is my sharpest short telephoto and the DA*300 is my sharpest real telephoto. All my other full frames lenses (DFA15-30, FA20, FA*24, DFA24-70, FA43, A50/1.2, FA77 and DFA*70-200) are sharp enough. Like eye-bleedingly sharp stopped down a bit.
12-20-2016, 04:37 AM   #41
Forum Member

the sharpest (I have used) is the A 50 2.8 macro and then:
Tamron 70-200 2.8
K 135 2.5

12-20-2016, 04:46 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

for me the D-FA 70-200 seems to spend an awful lot of time on the K-1 because of it's ability to resolve fine detail - I think it's an amazingly sharp lens - I don't have many digital era lenses to compare it with, but as a direct answer to the question, it would have to be it.
12-20-2016, 04:52 AM - 1 Like   #43
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
for me the D-FA 70-200 seems to spend an awful lot of time on the K-1 because of it's ability to resolve fine detail
It is an incredible lens. Like, ridiculous. I totally can't justify keeping it as I don't shoot for a living, and the DA*50-135 on the K-3 is so small and light.

But you only live once.
12-20-2016, 06:20 AM   #44
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks all for your contributions. I may try the 55 or 100 macro next. For those questioning my technique I am simply a well experienced amatuer, if technique were the issue it would have surfaced long before now. I currently also own a Fuji X-T2 system with some great Fuji glass including the 90mm lens that always gives me that WOW factor I am after. I have previously owned a Sigma DP2 Merrill and simply looking for that level of detail/sharpness under the right conditions. I have previously owned the Sigma 85mm 1.4 on other systems and will be on the lookout for a Pentax copy.

Again I love The K-1 simply want to get the best possible out of it.

I wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
12-20-2016, 01:56 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Thanks all for your contributions. I may try the 55 or 100 macro next. For those questioning my technique I am simply a well experienced amatuer, if technique were the issue it would have surfaced long before now. I currently also own a Fuji X-T2 system with some great Fuji glass including the 90mm lens that always gives me that WOW factor I am after. I have previously owned a Sigma DP2 Merrill and simply looking for that level of detail/sharpness under the right conditions. I have previously owned the Sigma 85mm 1.4 on other systems and will be on the lookout for a Pentax copy.

Again I love The K-1 simply want to get the best possible out of it.

I wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
I too owned the Sigma DP2 Merrill. However, if you shoot any of the above recommended lenses on the K1 using Pixel Shift, the results will exceed those you got with the Sigma Merrill!!!! The key is using Pixel Shift, it's amazing with just about any good lens.