Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2016, 11:28 AM   #1
Unregistered User

"Stair casing" at 100%

Anyone else getting this phenomenon? RAW developed in ACR 9.8. Have seen it in many more images and in releases before so it is not an 9.8 issue.

Like a stair case... Bad anti aliasing? How do I get rid of it? Totally removing sharpening does not remove the problem.

Where to look: On the right side, in the highlights.

Looks like Pixel shift problems but no PS used...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
12-25-2016, 11:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Stair casing in image processing can occur any time the image is especially sharp and process is nonlinear. It can also happen in sensors without an anti-aliasing filter.
12-25-2016, 12:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Staircasing happens almost always when sensor has no AA-filter and lens is sharp and focused correctly. Leica M9 was very good example of this. D800E in lesser extent and now K-1 in similar fashion. Canon 5Dsr is very brutal in this with sharp lens and when image is cropped to center region.
12-25-2016, 01:40 PM   #4
Unregistered User

So, how do one counter act this nuisance?

12-25-2016, 02:05 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't know if your image was down-sampled, but at the resolution you posted, at optimum print size, your stair steps are about 1/150th inch. Your print size for that will be about 45 inches wide.

My suggestion for counteracting it is to print somewhat smaller than 45 inches wide.

You can simulate anti-aliasing but I think at the largest print size, that may be unacceptably unsharp.

Good luck!
12-25-2016, 06:00 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
...How do I get rid of it?...
Don't stare at your images zoomed in 100%. No one will see that at normal viewing size.
12-25-2016, 08:11 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I'd first suggest that you try using the Pentax DCU to convert the RAW file and save as a .tiff When I run into strange issues I always try the manufactures software and see if they disappear.
If it's still there, you might try down sizing a bit and if your program has a box for turning on anti alias, check it.

12-25-2016, 09:58 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Use the Anti-Aliasing simulator during capture. Without it one is bound to create artifacts when the capture conditions are ideal in terms of allowing detail to be recorded.

Without any anti-aliasing -- whether optical or simulated through microscopic sensor-shake -- the sensor is exposed to detail it isn't designed to capture without generating artifacts.

You may also try another RAW converter like Capture One or RawTherapee. In particular the latter allows you to choose between various demosaicing alternatives.
12-26-2016, 12:58 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
On your EXIF file, the meta data indicates your image is 464 x 309 pixels. At print quality of 300 dpi resolution, thatʻs a very small 1.5" x 1" size image or 36mm x 24mm.

If you are shooting RAW files, somewhere in your PP work flow, you are downsizing your image so small that you can see the actual pixels ʻjaggiesʻ or ʻstairsʻ on curved or diagonal edges or lines.

I have also seen this happen with linear (not circular) polarizers.
12-26-2016, 05:34 AM   #10
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
On your EXIF file, the meta data indicates your image is 464 x 309 pixels. At print quality of 300 dpi resolution, thatʻs a very small 1.5" x 1" size image or 36mm x 24mm.

If you are shooting RAW files, somewhere in your PP work flow, you are downsizing your image so small that you can see the actual pixels ʻjaggiesʻ or ʻstairsʻ on curved or diagonal edges or lines.

I have also seen this happen with linear (not circular) polarizers.
The image is not downsized. This is indeed a very small portion of the total image, I cut only the affected area.

---------- Post added 12-26-16 at 01:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Don't stare at your images zoomed in 100%. No one will see that at normal viewing size.
On a screen it is not visible but on a large print it may be visible therefor I am a little concerned.

---------- Post added 12-26-16 at 01:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by thazooo Quote
I'd first suggest that you try using the Pentax DCU to convert the RAW file and save as a .tiff When I run into strange issues I always try the manufactures software and see if they disappear.
If it's still there, you might try down sizing a bit and if your program has a box for turning on anti alias, check it.
I tried the DCU but it failed as well.
12-26-2016, 06:47 AM   #11
Pentaxian

2 thoughts.....
Create a duplicate layer, on that layer give it a Gaussian Blur of 1 pixel, use Curves and adjust White Point and Black Point only... to taste, use the transparency slider with normal blend. This kinda sorta works on graphics, never tried it on an image.

This trick comes from Corel Graphics Suite, Photo Paint. Don't know if PS has it.....Create a duplicate layer, Find Edges ( in Corel it's under Effects ), the Dialog box gives several options for which edges to select and strength of selection. once you have your selection you'll have to find a blend mode that doesn't mess up the whole image, IIRC 'Burn' worked well, set your transparency. This one works on an image, you just have to play around with all of the controls until you have a routine down.

Good Luck
12-26-2016, 03:31 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Figure out when it is likely to happen and use the AA filter emulator for those shots should help.
12-26-2016, 03:41 PM   #13
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Figure out when it is likely to happen and use the AA filter emulator for those shots should help.
Well, that is the question. When is it likely to happen?

---------- Post added 12-26-16 at 11:42 PM ----------

And why have I not seen this on any K-3 images?
12-26-2016, 04:19 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, that is the question. When is it likely to happen?

---------- Post added 12-26-16 at 11:42 PM ----------

And why have I not seen this on any K-3 images?
Think of it as a learning experience. I rather suspect it will be more common with very high contrast edges.
12-26-2016, 04:38 PM   #15
Unregistered User

My question still remains, why have I not seen this with my K-3.