Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2016, 04:13 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Changing Metering Modes on a K-1 with Guide Display Off

This Christmas afternoon, I've been alternatively (and happily) shooting photos and customizing my new K-1 to reproduce the setup on my K-3. One of the first things I did was turn off the Guide Dislplay (which I find annoying); on my K-3 the Guide Display isn't useful to me, since the LCD window on top of the camera communicates all operational changes I make during daily use of the camera (ISO, EV comp, meter mode etc.). The tiny window on top of the K-1 appears to offer less info; in particular, best I can tell in order to change metering modes (Multi-, Center-, Spot) on the K-1 with the Guide Display off, one has to hit the Info button twice, then turn the Guide Display back on and - finally - change the metering mode.

I don't think Pentax would have such a clumsy procedure simply to change to spot metering for those of us that prefer the Guide Display to be off during normal use of the camera. What am I missing?

Thanks

Jer

12-25-2016, 04:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry Jer, if you don't like to have the guide display on, you are out of luck, that is the only way I know of to see which metering mode is active. One suggestion may be to assign three of your user modes to the three metering modes, then name them accordingly. As you turn the dial the display will tell you the name of the user mode.
12-25-2016, 04:59 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You can push the metering button to the left of the viewfinder and then turn the rear dial. The metering mode is indicated in the viewfinder. The mode will be indicated slightly to the right and below the f-stop. There are icons for center-weighted, spot, and no icon means multi.
12-25-2016, 05:36 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
You can push the metering button to the left of the viewfinder and then turn the rear dial. The metering mode is indicated in the viewfinder. The mode will be indicated slightly to the right and below the f-stop. There are icons for center-weighted, spot, and no icon means multi.
Thats great Leekil, As I look at the rear display when changing metering modes I've never noticed. Thanks

12-25-2016, 06:45 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hey, guys - thanks for the quick response!

leekil - I tried just what you described, but I was outside and either I was fooled by the lack of a "multi" symbol or by my 70-year-old eyes. Thanks for tutoring me - now I can sleep tonight knowing my K-1 is ready to rumble.

Jer
12-25-2016, 07:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Yes...I've had to move from top screen glance to in the viewfinder peer for the same reasons.... most annoying...
12-26-2016, 02:37 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You can also check in the control panel, but the VF icon is the most convenient IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-26-2016, 05:44 AM   #8
Unregistered User

I have put the metering mode in the Info display. One press and you have it.
12-26-2016, 08:17 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Yes...I've had to move from top screen glance to in the viewfinder peer for the same reasons.... most annoying...
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You can also check in the control panel, but the VF icon is the most convenient IMO.
It takes a bit of "work" for my old eyes to see the icon in the VF when shooting in the sun, but now that I know it's there, it's a bit easier.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
I have put the metering mode in the Info display. One press and you have it.
To be honest, I didn't even know you can do that . I went to the manual and added to my control panel. Thanks much.