Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2016, 11:31 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
it's not the prettiest and it does look a bit bulky
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Nikon 810 which looks kind of soft and over rounded. But then for me the 1D is the ultimate in uglyness
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
The K-1's bulk (and it is bulky, next to an LX, for example) is deceptive, though.
The K1 is one of the smallest digital reflex. I wouldn't say smaller is better, at some point, the size of the body should be such that it fit well in our hands and with a users interface easy to use. From this standpoint, the K1 (without grip) is no so large, display is fine (only one thing I believe is a design fault: the size and position of the SD slot selection above the 4 ways controls). The point I was trying to make is about the shape and finish of the camera body. Regarding the finish, it's usually plastic, whereas in the 70s, body were metal finish with nice metal knobs. Today, there's a lot of plastic on expensive camera bodies. My point is, cheap plastic is easily understandable on a entry level model, but I'd expect better materials for the top of the line products.

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
I have always thought the K-1 was referring back to the classic look of the Pentax 67.
The external shape of the viewfinder of K1 is definitely noticeable, I kind of like it as it is unique to Pentax and does not mimic Canon and Nikon rounded designs.

---------- Post added 28-12-16 at 07:44 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Read about the design philosophy behind the K-1 Challengers | PENTAX K-1 Special site | RICOH IMAGING
Yes, thanks for the link. Quote "While it has an extremely compact design, its design is also impressive and quite original." . Yes, IMO it is definitely a compact design. Finishing is more like the K series, all in black with black rubber, metal black knobs for the three of the top dials. The rest is borrowed from the K series, plastic buttons and elements. When used with fast zooms , the K1 body looks small, and when used with ltd metal finish primes, the K1 and primes look unbalanced. I guess when Ricoh will offer new primes, they'll balance well with the K1 body.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 12-27-2016 at 11:51 PM.
12-28-2016, 02:15 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
...but I'd expect better materials for the top of the line products.
Why ?
I really don't quite understand why a few external wheels and buttons on a camera, which at its core is made of Magnesium Alloy, should be seen as lowering its quality. Were they made of metal it would unnecessarily add weight to the body and by the look and feel of them it would be hard to know what they are made of. It is much more important what lies behind those wheels and knobs they are connected to. And honestly I have never heard of any breakdown or failure of those wheels and knobs themselves. If they fall off I think it does not matter much what they are made of. A metal wheel, if not properly designed, will land on the floor just as quickly as a plastic one. And there is the price to be considered as well.

Remember the bronzing of the metal wheels and rings in times gone by ? Really ugly they were !
12-28-2016, 02:22 AM   #18
Pentaxian

The K-1 has an external magnesium alloy shell over a stainless steel chassis. I read somewhere the pentaprism housing is polycarbonate (likely for the WiFi and GPS antennae), and of course, there are those wheels. But it has more metal than suggested
12-28-2016, 02:30 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Read about the design philosophy behind the K-1

Challengers | PENTAX K-1 Special site | RICOH IMAGING
"Challengers"? Shouldn't that be "Challenges"?

12-28-2016, 03:00 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
I am suspicious of people who constantly wipe imaginary crumbs off the table

The remarks about "need" are valid and in my view goes for everything you buy. I am sure any of us already know this, so what is the point harping on a bout it.

And then, why take it out on Pentax, does it not apply to his beloved NYCAHN also ?
The problem with "need" is that you can use it as an excuse to dismiss pretty much anything. You can't even say that you really "need" to be a photographer. But such an approach, it would keep you away from many good things in life

Not "needing" FF also sounds too much like Fujifilm's propaganda, and Fujifilm doesn't want to educate you but to make you buy their products. Nowadays, some are even saying that all you "need" is a smartphone, because you can do software bokeh and stuff. They're just drawing a line - what a coincidence - between what they have for sale, and what they don't.

In the end, each of us have to find their own reasons to prefer a format over another. Regardless of being told what they "need" and what they don't.

---------- Post added 28-12-16 at 12:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
"Challengers"? Shouldn't that be "Challenges"?
Pentax engineers?
12-28-2016, 03:02 AM   #21

So take your LX and to get some of the features of the K-1 add:

motor drive/power winder = drive mode
several viewfinders and view screens = tilt LCD and LCD overlays
databack = EXIF
8333.333333333333 rolls of 36 exp film = 300,000 shutter rating
tri/monopod = Shake Reduction
film and contact print developing = in-camera development of JPEGs
Night Vision attachment = ISO greater than 6400

Still think the K-1 is bulky compared to the LX?
12-28-2016, 03:31 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For most of us, photography is a hobby and there is no "need" for a particular camera. But if you want to shoot a full frame camera and have the funds (the price on these cameras has come way down over time), then what is the point?

For me, full frame (1) Improves dynamic range at all isos. This is a big deal, as it definitely allows for landscape photography at other than base iso. The K3 is pretty good at iso 100, but bump it up, even to iso 400 and you had better take multiple exposures to cover a scene. (2) Better high iso. This is pretty significant as well. I don't shoot a bunch of high iso stuff, but there are plenty of times that I would put my K3 away that I can keep shooting with a K1. (3) It can shoot with shallower depth of field. This isn't generally a big deal to me, but there are situations where you are shooting portraits and you want to blur out the back ground and it is a lot easier to do with a full frame camera than with an APS-C one.

Obviously you can print bigger, the viewfinder is better, frame rate is slower with full frame, If you gave most folks the option of getting a stop improvement in iso and an EV improvement in dynamic range, they would be pretty thrilled over it, just somehow the fact that the sensor size is bigger makes it an arguing point.

12-28-2016, 05:30 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yuh - I might be 'hard put' to see the difference between APS-C and FF - but I can...
And I think the K-1 looks good, and very distinctive - a nice bit of form following function with style - and I like the way the pentaprism, which gave the company its name, is emphasised in the external styling
12-28-2016, 06:21 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Bla....Bla.....Bla.......Nothing here except .....I...I...I...Me , Me , Me , My...My.......and rambling mental Masturbation.
Ed ....should have simply stopped at the first 2 minute mark while he still had viewers attention , yet managed to go on and on rambling for 24 more minutes.
Typical Ed style....put together a Nice Parade......and then Rain Heavily on it before the end !

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 12-28-2016 at 06:41 AM.
12-28-2016, 06:31 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Lol another first world problem the 2k camera is just not premium enough for the money.. Buy Leica then)

I can be wrong, but I think majority of people that bought k-1 got it for one of the best ff sensors on the market (currently) and great ergonomics (and a ton of other features). Don't think many choose expensive full frame systems going from their looks...
12-28-2016, 07:10 AM   #26
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

My personal taste says all the camera bodies from Nikon, Canon, and Pentax are just plain "common" and ugly. I think Fuji makes the best looking bodies by far. But......for function and actual use, I can't see anything better than my Pentax gear.

If I could get a FF Pentax that looked like my little Toy Camera X20, I'd own it at once!

It's not always about the beauty.....sap coming out of a Peanut Tree is an ugly sight to me....but it is a wonderful delight to others!

Regards!
12-28-2016, 07:23 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is ISO 12 K on the K-1 (full size on Flickr).

I can just say that I would have a tough time getting this detail on a K3 at iso 3200. If you only shoot iso 100 to 400 and never push the dynamic range at all, then you probably won't notice a difference, but the difference is easy to see.
12-28-2016, 07:29 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hopefully Marc Newson will be on board to design the K-1 successor.
12-28-2016, 08:46 AM   #29

Just for fun do a search engine query on "ugliest cameras"
12-28-2016, 01:47 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some people here are being more than a little harsh on Ed. If you know his style and don't like it, then why bother watching another of his videos? At least he isn't an agressive know-all like some others who seem to stir up passions. Listening to Ed is a bit like opal-mining - you get lots (and lots) of overburden before you find a gem worth keeping. If anyone bothered watching this one right to the end, the text about people on forums is one gem that's applicable to some of the discussion about it.

PS - nice to see you back, Rupert. "Sap from a peanut tree", indeed!