Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
12-28-2016, 02:16 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Some people rightfully believe that you're doing a disservice to the photographic community by promoting his videos - just like you'd do, if promoting Ken Rockwell's site as information.
And your "gem" that you're talking of, I call it manure. Don't step in it.

12-28-2016, 03:09 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
One man's meat is clearly another man's poison...
12-28-2016, 10:45 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Some people rightfully believe that you're doing a disservice to the photographic community by promoting his videos - just like you'd do, if promoting Ken Rockwell's site as information. And your "gem" that you're talking of, I call it manure. Don't step in it.
What this has to do with styling of camera bodies?
12-29-2016, 12:38 AM   #34
Pentaxian

I call it manure
HA HA HA, cant find any gems?...

12-29-2016, 02:58 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
What this has to do with styling of camera bodies?
I was responding to RobA_Oz, who for some strange reason thinks that it's OK when Ed is attacking forumists and somehow that's all nice and polite and a "gem".

As for this specific video (I made an effort and watched it, so that other people won't have to):
- it gives you no information regarding the K-1; it's as if he never tried to shoot with one
- it gives you a bad analogy for FF vs. APS-C which doesn't offer any pertinent information, not even a realistic depiction of the size and weight differences
- it's mostly about how he doesn't like the K-1 but Fuji, how 95% of people only need the Fuji (remember Ken Rockwell's "the D40 is the best camera ever"?)
- we find out that nobody whatsoever needs the K-1
- Fuji is better. Again and again.
And the comment at the end - the "I'm a real alpha male" - is indeed manure. I was right about that.

For fairness, what he did right:
- the comments about the LED lights. Which is something I explained in this forum to that bloke complaining they don't allow you to search objects in your bag.
- a passing comment about old lenses not being optimal (but what kind of results do we get?)
- the reciprocal rule of thumb. You can't be sloppy if you want those 36MP. Though, he's exaggerating, perhaps to make using Fuji seems easy in comparison? And he's clearly forgetting how the K-1 has an advantage over the Fuji: image stabilization. Not available on the Fuji's 23mm prime.

tl;dr? If you want to summarize his video: "you don't need the Pentax K-1, Fuji is better".
I tried to warn you, people... this is what you were asking for, this is what you got.
12-29-2016, 03:34 AM   #36
Veteran Member

I gave this video 7 minutes of my life. Was there a point to it in the end?
12-29-2016, 03:57 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was responding to RobA_Oz, who for some strange reason thinks that it's OK when Ed is attacking forumists and somehow that's all nice and polite and a "gem".
Now you're making things up. If you read it again, you'll see he wasn't attacking Forum members in general, just the ones who think that they know everything. OK, maybe I was indulging in a little excessive Christmas bonhomie by describing it as a "gem".

12-29-2016, 04:09 AM   #38
Pentaxian

And because he doesn't have the guts to name those people, to see if the attacks are justified or it's just him not supporting any criticism, any different opinion, you think it's OK? For Pete's sake, he's even calling himself "a real alpha male"!
Christmas bonhomie - as in cheerful friendliness - is not the same as condoning attacks and approving over-inflated egos.
12-29-2016, 04:16 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I read that "real alpha male" as ironic, but whatever...

Do you really think he was directing his remarks at this Forum? I've been involved in enough online forums of different types to recognise the type of person he was referring to. Enough.
12-29-2016, 04:18 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Do you really think he was directing his remarks at this Forum
Did you miss the reference to squirrels!!
12-29-2016, 04:23 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Did you miss the reference to squirrels!!
No, but now you mention it, I suppose it might have some significance, although I don't recall him getting into an argument with anyone here. Maybe I missed something, but I must admit I'm starting to care less and less about the whole subject.
12-29-2016, 04:41 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I read that "real alpha male" as ironic, but whatever...

Do you really think he was directing his remarks at this Forum? I've been involved in enough online forums of different types to recognise the type of person he was referring to. Enough.
Rob, I realize you're well intended and I really don't have any argument with you. But you're mistaken about something; he was specific - "IT professionals". It's a payback for receiving criticism in the past, not the first time it's happening.
And care to guess who was the target?
12-29-2016, 06:01 AM - 1 Like   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oddly, now that I finally have a FF Pentax/K-mount dSLR to use with old lenses - and a very good camera at that - these vlogs and slanted reviews and website clickbaiting just don't raise my ire the way they once did.

Ed can post all the opinions his Lizard Brain desires. I just get a few SMC's out of the drawer and go outside. I don't have time for Ed and Thom and that-site-which-shall-not-be-named.com any more.

Last edited by monochrome; 12-29-2016 at 01:38 PM.
12-29-2016, 06:05 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Ed: "Do you really need a FF?"
Wildman: No.

Wildman to himself: Do you really need your K5?
Wildman to himself: Yes but not as much as the Oly OMD E-M10.

Done.
12-29-2016, 09:51 AM   #45
Pentaxian

After watching the ENTIRE video it's pretty clear to me that Ed's just ranting about the size differences between his Fuji and the new K-1. It didn't have to be Pentax either. He could have easily substituted a Canon or Nikon full frame instead. So what he's saying is that the IQ difference between full frame and Fuji APS-C is negligible, and why not just buy the Fuji and save yourself all that grief lugging a Full Frame camera monstrosity around along with it's myriad of large lenses.

I've tried the Fuji X-T10 at the camera store a bit and absolutely HATED the electronic viewfinder. Now the X-PRO2 has the hybrid viewfinder but it's longer than my K-3!!! Where's the weight/size savings? And to top it off Fuji lenses are EXPENSIVE. I'm sticking with my K-3 and small arsenal of quality lenses thank you. Looking forward to the K-3ii replacement in 2017?