Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-29-2016, 08:59 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

iPhone as remote for K-1?

Hi

I have just got an iPhone7 (after 13 years with the most basic Nokia dumbphone).

Can I get an app that'll allow me to use it as an IR remote for the K-1?

If so, is it worth it?

Ta.

12-29-2016, 10:41 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Only If you get an ir emitter as far as I know. And most (all?) are headphone jack plugin devices which will not work with the iphone7.
12-29-2016, 11:13 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Only If you get an ir emitter as far as I know. And most (all?) are headphone jack plugin devices which will not work with the iphone7.
Trigger trap works with the headphone jack lightning connector dongle, as per there web site. Others I don't know.
12-29-2016, 11:15 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AussieTrev Quote
Trigger trap works with the headphone jack lightning connector dongle, as per there web site. Others I don't know.
That's good to hear. But not very easy to imagine using. Isn't the adapter floppy? I can't imagine that being very easy to use.

12-29-2016, 11:43 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
There are lots of apps in the app store (Iphone and Android) that do what you need or more. Trigger trap is cool but has a dongle along with the software but you might find something similar as a stand-alone application in the app store like DSLR Remote Plus for Android by bitshift. Just do a search for DSLR remotes (Pentax).
12-30-2016, 12:15 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Just download 'image sync' -app from appstore, and you are set. Follow instructions, it will take couple minutes.
12-30-2016, 12:15 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Yes. The Ricoh image sync app is available for free download. It's a little clunky, but does allow you to change the focus, aperture, iso, and take a shot.

---------- Post added 12-30-16 at 07:26 AM ----------

From the k-1 menu, go to the page two of the spanner settings, and go into the wifi options. Make sure you turn on the wifi on your camera, then go into the communication info. On the iPhone go to settings->wifi, and look for your Pentax camera in the list. Click on that, and enter the camera password. Open image sync on your phone, then hit the little camera icon at the bottom of the app.

The camera will enter live view mode, and all the camera settings will be available in the app. Enjoy!

Last edited by robthebloke; 12-30-2016 at 12:29 AM.
12-30-2016, 01:24 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Image Sync works well enough for the K-1. Of course, it uses Wifi, rather than infrared, as the other remotes do. Since it's a free app, you could say it's excellent value for money!
12-30-2016, 02:50 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks guys...now I know where to look and what to do.

This forum and its wonderful members is always such a brilliant source of info!!!
12-30-2016, 07:21 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes Image Sync is a lifesaver at times. Works as a remote as you suggest and also as a Live view monitor in awkward shooting situations. While I like the tilt-swivel screen on the K-1, there is nothing like live view on the iphone or ipad. Range is about 25 feet.
12-31-2016, 03:00 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Image Sync works well enough for the K-1. Of course, it uses Wifi, rather than infrared, as the other remotes do. Since it's a free app, you could say it's excellent value for money!
Yes I am using Image Sync on my Android phone. It works GREAT!!! The phone becomes a remote control using the K1 WiFi. The manual is a little confusing but you can figure it out. You can see everything the camera sees in your phone and focus and fire as well. Pretty amazing!!!
12-31-2016, 03:53 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

this is soo cool and works with iPad