Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
01-02-2017, 08:35 AM   #1
Pentaxian

User Mode for astro: Night Vision and LCD brightness can't be saved?

I want to configure a user mode for the astrotracer, with screen brightness as dim as possible. Night Vision, LCD brightness, and Outdoor View are apparently global settings that can't go into a user mode. They are found on wrench-icon menu pages. According to the manual, only the camera-icon and custom pages get saved with the user modes.

The best solution I found so far is to customize the info menu by adding Night Vision. When I pick my astro user mode, I use the info menu to make my screen red, then the outdoor view button to dim the screen. When I go to another mode I have to revisit the info menu and outdoor view button. It's inconvenient but not a disaster.

Anyone have a better solution?

01-02-2017, 10:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I have the exact same procedure to use night vision and outdoor setting. It gets tiring to quickly check the "color" version of recorded photo and then swap back to night vision for example. Red Eye mode does not show up overexposed areas properly, thus normal vision is sometimes needed.
01-02-2017, 11:15 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Anyone have a better solution?
Yes. The solution is not to switch off your camera, and use the auto-power off timer instead. This way, you save power and when you press the shutter or image display button, the camera wakes up in night vision mode ready to shoot with your preferred settings.
01-02-2017, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Yes. The solution is not to switch off your camera, and use the auto-power off timer instead. This way, you save power and when you press the shutter or image display button, the camera wakes up in night vision mode ready to shoot with your preferred settings.
Why is it important not to power off your camera? I just have the camera set remember my night vision setting through power cycles.

01-02-2017, 11:31 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I do use auto power off, but that's unrelated to getting my LCD to automatically switch to dim red in a user mode. What you're saying only works if I never use the camera during daylight. I want one user mode for astro, others for regular lighting, with custom LCD brightness for each mode.

Once it's red it stays there, but I have to 1) pick my user mode, 2) manually turn on Night Vision, 3) manually pick brightness.
01-02-2017, 11:35 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Why is it important not to power off your camera? I just have the camera set remember my night vision setting through power cycles.
Ah yes, you are right, in "memory" menu, 3rd column, they've also added the night vision mode, I just discovered , thanks :-)
01-13-2017, 01:44 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ah yes, you are right, in "memory" menu, 3rd column, they've also added the night vision mode, I just discovered , thanks :-)
This is awesome - didn't realize that this was added and had frustrations in the field.