Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2017, 03:56 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
You should probably be thankful that the adapter doesn't lock in the mount. Cheap third party M42 adapters have a habit of jamming so that you cannot remove the lens from the body.
Very true, though if it doesn't lock there's a risk of it falling out, lens and all. I use only genuine M42 adapters after a bad experience with a third-party one that kept me away from M42 lenses for a couple of years.

01-06-2017, 08:41 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
You should probably be thankful that the adapter doesn't lock in the mount. Cheap third party M42 adapters have a habit of jamming so that you cannot remove the lens from the body.
Except that my two Pentax adapters also tend to lock in place and need a little extra work in getting them out. Works like that on my K5, K5-IIS, K3 and K1.
01-06-2017, 11:03 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Except that my two Pentax adapters also tend to lock in place
Both of your adapters and all of your cameras? Normally, I would suggest the small interlock spring in the mount has been damaged, probably as a result of excessive torque against the adapter. This happens when an adapted lens has an excessively stiff focus ring. The same may also munge the retention spring in the adapter, which is more likely in your case.

Steve
01-06-2017, 12:57 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Both of your adapters and all of your cameras? Normally, I would suggest the small interlock spring in the mount has been damaged, probably as a result of excessive torque against the adapter. This happens when an adapted lens has an excessively stiff focus ring. The same may also munge the retention spring in the adapter, which is more likely in your case.

Steve
Been that way on all my K-mount cameras going back to my Ricoh XRM's. and later Pentax film cameras. Usually just a little wiggle and they free up. But the lens almost always unscrews from the adapter rather than the whole lens adapter assembly coming free. Not a big inconvenience so I never bothered looking into it.

01-06-2017, 04:00 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
But the lens almost always unscrews from the adapter rather than the whole lens adapter assembly coming free.
That is how they are supposed to work. If the genuine Pentax adapter rotates free of the mount with the lens still attached, something is not right.

Edit: The conventional steps to remove are to unscrew the lens and then release the spring clip to rotate the adapter out of the mount. That being said, with some narrow flange lenses, it may be possible to release the clip with the lens still attached to rotate the assembly out as a unit, though I have never done it this way.

Edit 2: Nope...not possible...

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-06-2017 at 08:53 PM.