Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2017, 04:44 PM   #1
Forum Member

Workflow For HDR/Pixel Shift Photos on K-1

Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering if I'm missing something. When I take an HDR or Pixel Shift photo on my K-1 and then upload to Lightroom, I just get the RAW file without the Pixel Shift or HDR effect.

How do you deal with this? Can I only take those pictures in JPG mode? Can I only manipulate those photos on the bundled Pentax software?

If I can only use the bundled software, what's the best way to quickly move the photo from that to Lightroom?

Thanks everyone! Happy weekend!

CF

01-06-2017, 04:52 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cesarfishman Quote
If I can only use the bundled software, what's the best way to quickly move the photo from that to Lightroom?
CF
Import function?
01-06-2017, 04:55 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't use Lightroom but I understand that currently it doesn't handle pixel shift images that well, and doesn't cope with motion correction. What I do with the K-3II is to develop pixel shift in the bundled DCU5 software with some other basic processing, and then export as a TIFF which you can then process further in your software of choice.
01-06-2017, 04:57 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
I don't use Lightroom but I understand that currently it doesn't handle pixel shift images that well, and doesn't cope with motion correction. What I do with the K-3II is to develop pixel shift in the bundled DCU5 software with some other basic processing, and then export as a TIFF which you can then process further in your software of choice.
So develop it as is as a TIFF, and then move that over to Lightroom. Is there significant data loss between DNG > TIFF?

01-06-2017, 04:59 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So develop it as is as a TIFF, and then move that over to Lightroom. Is there significant data loss between DNG > TIFF?
There isn't any at all, because both formats are lossless.
01-06-2017, 05:03 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
There isn't any at all, because both formats are lossless.
Awesome – sorry for the ignorance. It was just recently my first time using Pixel Shift and HDR on the K1 and you can imagine my surprise when the file looked regular on Lightroom.
01-06-2017, 05:04 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Awesome – sorry for the ignorance. It was just recently my first time using Pixel Shift and HDR on the K1 and you can imagine my surprise when the file looked regular on Lightroom.
Ah, no worries. I had the same experience my first time around with Pixel Shift. I prefer to bracket in-camera and do the HDR in Lightroom, but the workflow for Pixel Shift is kinda awkward.

01-06-2017, 05:33 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
That's not entirely true, since RAW gives the intensity readouts at each photosite in the Bayer array of the sensor. TIFF interpolate the values into display pixels, each assigned a discrete Red, Blue, and Green intensity, and bakes in development settings and corrections.
As compared to jpeg however, there will not be compression artifacting, and bit depth will be better.
Really? Does that mean anything when it comes to actually editing? If so, it could affect my Pakon workflow.
01-06-2017, 09:01 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'm wondering if I'm missing something. When I take an HDR or Pixel Shift photo on my K-1 and then upload to Lightroom, I just get the RAW file without the Pixel Shift or HDR effect.
You must have LR v6.x or higher to support Pixel Shift, though most reports are that it does not work that well and has no support for motion correction.

As for HDR, there is no Adobe support for Pentax in-camera HDR from RAW. For that you need PDCU. That being said, the most common option used by users on this site is to simply do a series of bracketed exposures and do the HDR merge using the tool of your choice. Recent versions of LR offer this as a feature.

Steve
01-07-2017, 01:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Really? Does that mean anything when it comes to actually editing? If so, it could affect my Pakon workflow.
I doubt it. You'll have to do demosaicing anyway as one of the first steps in the processing pipeline so whether you do everything in one software or two separate ones can't matter, modulo the quality of the software itself.
01-07-2017, 01:34 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here is a very nice write up on using LR (compared to other RAW processors).
Do note that the context is Pixel Shift w/o motion correction only.

Pentax K-1 Review - Pixel Shift in the Studio - REDred Photo School | Photography Classes in Seattle | REDred Photo School | Photography Classes in Seattle
01-07-2017, 02:17 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

There are no particular implications regarding TIFF editing. TIFF lossless compression is not a complicating factor either. If you have your Pakon set to output TIFF, what is written to disk is what the scanner captured within the limits of bit-depth and colorspace. Ideally, a scan intended for additional editing should represent the full range of values on the negative with maximized data per pixel. Whether the Pakon provides that level of control with supplied software, I don't know.

Steve
01-07-2017, 02:31 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There are no particular implications regarding TIFF editing. TIFF lossless compression is not a complicating factor either. If you have your Pakon set to output TIFF, what is written to disk is what the scanner captured within the limits of bit-depth and colorspace. Ideally, a scan intended for additional editing should represent the full range of values on the negative with maximized data per pixel. Whether the Pakon provides that level of control with supplied software, I don't know.

Steve
My Pakon workflow actually outputs a .RAW (no kidding) file that I have to tell Photoshop how to read. If I'm losing fidelity by converting to TIFF, it'd be good to know, as I tend to get everything converted from .RAW to TIFF and into Lightroom ASAP.
01-07-2017, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

If I'm losing fidelity by converting to TIFF, it'd be good to know, as I tend to get everything converted from .RAW to TIFF and into Lightroom ASAP.
Well, that does complicate things. Depending on how the conversion is done, there will be some "interpretation" of the data from the scanner. That is not the same as loss of fidelity since the RAW file is only a simple capture of the scan values and not particularly true to anything (all contrast and curve modifications are discarded in the RAW). The key is to have a RAW converter that allows linear output (straight dump) to TIFF or full-on support in ACR or Lightroom.

Steve
01-08-2017, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Lightroom currently puts out most details from a PS file but not with standard sharpening settings. You have to crank up the amount-slider to 75-100 region. See the link @pinholecam posted.

There are however prerequisites for this

0) Up-to-date lightroom (6.x something in June 2016 introduced proper processing of PS files)
1) perfect exposure technique (to avoid any shake)
2) non-moving subject
3) good lens

What LR does not handle is PS with motion correction, it just falls apart. So if you want to use LR with PS then do not use motion correction when taking the shot.