Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2017, 09:57 AM   #1

how to connect pentax k-1 to tablet with OTG cable

I love landscape photography and I was wondering if anyone knows if there is an android or ios app out there that will allow me to conect my K-1 to an android pad. and better than image sync with good resolution?
or how to use your iPad or tablet as a second monitor?

I see other makers have compatable software but can not find anything for the pentax.

Also there are a lot of apps that use android phones for IR remote, but this is not what I desire. What I would like to be able to do is, instant view and maybe a little minor tweaking.

Any help even if negative would be welcome, if it doesn't exist why not? Androids are much easier to use than laptops especially out in the sticks, as they are light and very portable. or is there something in the pipeline?

01-27-2017, 11:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well there's the built in Wifi capabilities that connects to an android app. I belive you can use it as live view and transfer photos. Its not instant though. 36mpix files are large. You can also try the Pentax FluCard which does something similar using a url in the browser rather than a specific app.

I don't think either are overly practical or responsive though.
06-09-2019, 07:05 AM   #3

Somebody could tell me, how can I connect my Android phone to K7 and/or K10 cameras? Existing cable like this? I have read about an OTG cable. What about the compatibility? How can I resolve this issue?
06-09-2019, 07:19 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gabosalbin Quote
Somebody could tell me, how can I connect my Android phone to K7 and/or K10 cameras? Existing cable like this? I have read about an OTG cable. What about the compatibility? How can I resolve this issue?
The short answer is you really can't. Newer models have wi-fi which enable this, however.

Since the K-7 has HDMI output, it would be pretty easy to connect to a field monitor. That would be the next easiest solution.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-09-2019, 09:30 AM   #5
Pentaxian

My K-3 with the flu card did this, and I helped with the transfer rate buy saving my jpegs on the flu card at the lowest setting so i'd have the smallest file to transfer. But even then, I didn't find it useful enough to continue the practice after researching and making it work.

I'm curious, does anyone know if this flu card type capability is in the K-1 somewhere?

I'm pretty sure I could use my iPad to compose and shoot as in live view, but it was so long ago ....
06-09-2019, 03:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by anakhaled Quote
I see other makers have compatable software
What software are you showing on that display, out of curiosity? It doesn't look like a Nikon built app.

or how to use your iPad or tablet as a second monitor?
If it's just a passive monitor you want, aside from a field monitor using a HDMI cable, you could also use a HDMI to WiFi dongle like a Google Chromecast or similar Miracast compatible device.
06-10-2019, 06:10 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The short answer is you really can't. Newer models have wi-fi which enable this, however.

Since the K-7 has HDMI output, it would be pretty easy to connect to a field monitor. That would be the next easiest solution.
I really thank you the answer Adam! I'm disappointed a little more, because I'm press photographer and the fast file transfer is essential. Usual I'm on travel and the notebook is a plus tool. I know the phone doesn't really good for photo development but that is another issue. I use the Lr on my Android phone and I wish I could to have the chance, to transfer the photos to my phone directly from my camera, after then I edit on my phone.

06-10-2019, 07:02 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I really thank you the answer Adam! I'm disappointed a little more, because I'm press photographer and the fast file transfer is essential. Usual I'm on travel and the notebook is a plus tool. I know the phone doesn't really good for photo development but that is another issue. I use the Lr on my Android phone and I wish I could to have the chance, to transfer the photos to my phone directly from my camera, after then I edit on my phone.
What you could do is use a generic wi-fi SD card for transferring files. You won't get live view, but you should be able to do some editing on the go (especially if you shoot in raw+ and save smaller JPEG files for quick edits).

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-11-2019, 10:58 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
What you could do is use a generic wi-fi SD card for transferring files. You won't get live view, but you should be able to do some editing on the go (especially if you shoot in raw+ and save smaller JPEG files for quick edits).
Not could be bad idea a WiFi SD card. Thank you for the answer.
06-18-2019, 03:54 AM   #10

I've been wanting to try Image Sync but haven't had the time to install it. App List | Service Contacts | Support | RICOH IMAGING unfortunately it's limited on compatible models. Anyone else tried this app?
06-18-2019, 04:01 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Smoke665 Quote
I've been wanting to try Image Sync but haven't had the time to install it. App List | Service Contacts | Support | RICOH IMAGING unfortunately it's limited on compatible models. Anyone else tried this app?
You can read a review of it here:
Pentax K-S2 Review - Wi-Fi Features | PentaxForums.com Reviews

It's been streamlined a bit since the original release, but the basic functionality is the same as what you see in the video.

Adam

06-18-2019, 09:58 AM   #12

You could take your SD card out and put it in in a card reader then it connect to your device with an OTG cable. Your device will see it as another drive. You may need an app for the files if their not Jpeg.

Jeff
06-30-2019, 02:18 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I love landscape photography and I was wondering if anyone knows if there is an android or ios app out there that will allow me to conect my K-1 to an android pad. and better than image sync with good resolution?
Any help even if negative would be welcome, if it doesn't exist why not?
I wonder why this thread isn't known:
Keep the overview on the increasing tethering options for Pentax cameras - PentaxForums.com