Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-27-2017, 11:55 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Who uses K-1 wifi and how is it done?

Because asking here is usually faster than doing research.

01-27-2017, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

With a smart phone app. I would provide links, but that is too tedious...

Steve
01-27-2017, 12:15 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do. Only to transfer documentary image files to my wife.

The ImageSync app sets up a WiFi network connection to your camera (and temporarily terminates any other WiFi connections). You may preview jpegs, select and transfer files, and perform somewhat limited LiveView camera operation functions using the device.
01-27-2017, 12:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had something like this with my now gone Olympus EM5. I feel like the live view (even if it isn't the best) is an insanely useful feature for a camera, wish my K3 had it.

01-27-2017, 12:52 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
With a smart phone app. I would provide links, but that is too tedious...

Steve
Aren't we the cheeky one!
01-27-2017, 01:52 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I had something like this with my now gone Olympus EM5. I feel like the live view (even if it isn't the best) is an insanely useful feature for a camera, wish my K3 had it.
You don't have a FluCard?
01-27-2017, 01:53 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You don't have a FluCard?

I don't. Can't have all the toys.

01-27-2017, 02:00 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I don't. Can't have all the toys.
Don't feel bad, I hardly ever use mine. It's on of those really good ideas that functionally has limited use. Although I once found a little toad under my picnic table it was very useful for. I could just set my iPad on the bench and adjust the camera until I had it just right holding it on a monopod, like a selfie stick. My attempts to get humming birds and stuff from inside the kitchen failed miserably. Those little bugers never go where you want them to go.

There's nothing as frustrating as having half a bird in showing on the iPad, but you can't move the camera because you're 6 feet away. And it really doesn't work more than 10 feet away.
01-27-2017, 02:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The method of retrieving files form the K1 and FluCard to a desktop is monstrously frustrating. I have little need or desire to download to my phone.

So, I wrote a quick and dirty Python app that works on Mac (should work on Widows/Linux) to import Photos directly to a folder on your computer.
This way the K1 (and I have a version for FluCard) can work in a similar manner to the EyeFi cards with programs like LightRoom for auto-import.
Just connect the computer to the K1's (or FluCard's) Wifi network, run the Python code, and watch the images appear in LightRoom.
Yay!
01-27-2017, 02:28 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
The method of retrieving files form the K1 and FluCard to a desktop is monstrously frustrating. I have little need or desire to download to my phone.

So, I wrote a quick and dirty Python app that works on Mac (should work on Widows/Linux) to import Photos directly to a folder on your computer.
This way the K1 (and I have a version for FluCard) can work in a similar manner to the EyeFi cards with programs like LightRoom for auto-import.
Just connect the computer to the K1's (or FluCard's) Wifi network, run the Python code, and watch the images appear in LightRoom.
Yay!
I'm sure that's cool, especially using an iMac with the card slot on the back of the monitor. But I still just move the SD card.
01-27-2017, 02:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I don't do it often but when I use the wi-fi feature it's just as a "quick" transfer to my tablet.

Although lately I've been carrying sd card reader with me because the wifi transfer rate is painfully slow and drinks my batteries dry faster than a frat house at a tailgate party. I still use it for 1 or two images but more than that and the sd card reader comes out.
01-27-2017, 02:41 PM   #12
Pentaxian

The closest I've come is with the K-S2 WiFi remote, which works well with the K-1 but unfortunately lacks the possibility to zoom in live view. So with the current apps, I don't see much use with WiFi.
01-27-2017, 02:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I'm sure that's cool, especially using an iMac with the card slot on the back of the monitor. But I still just move the SD card.
I use it mainly while doing studio sessions, especially at events. My wife takes photo orders on site while I am still taking photos for the next customer. No need to transfer cards.
Lightroom also often gets very confused when swapping cards and imports the same files two, three or more times. So swapping just becomes a bigger, slower mess than WiFi transfer.

Not forcing you to use WiFi. The thread was about who uses WiFi and how its done. So do what works for ya.

(...and card slot on the back of the Mac??? yeah, what the heck was Apple thinking?!?! )
01-27-2017, 05:08 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote

Yay!
I think that would be a useful app for studio use. Is Python an interpreted language or a compiled language? In other words, to run the app do you click on a executable file or doe it require a Python interpreter on your computer?
01-27-2017, 09:12 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SciFiGuy Quote
I think that would be a useful app for studio use. Is Python an interpreted language or a compiled language? In other words, to run the app do you click on a executable file or doe it require a Python interpreter on your computer?
It's interpreted. So you do need to install the Python package first.
Kind of hokey for Windows, I know, but Python is on most Mac and Linux systems by default. The benefit (er, um, my benefit? ) being that the same code tends to run on all platforms.