Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2017, 11:50 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You do know Samyang makes a 24mm tilt shift? But it works best with a K-01. The Pentax overhang inhibits upward shift.
The K-1's overhang does not completely inhibit upward shift - it limits it to about 10 mm (instead of 12).

Besides that, the Samyang TS-24 works fine on the K-1.

02-02-2017, 09:07 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Unfortunately i didn't buy the SMC Pentax Shift 28mm when it was a little more affordable.
I used large format and i didn't feel the need for a shift lens for the small format.
Now the price is around 500 USD minimum, often even more.
Equivalent lenses from other makers (Nikon, for example) are way cheaper.
I am considering the Samyang (or an identical clone), which on paper is more useful for architecture (24mm is the ideal focal) and adds the tilt function.
It is a pity that with the K-1 2mm are lost in top/vertical shift. It's the movement i'd use most of the times (never used bottom/vertical, and lateral is mainly used to keep the photographer's reflection out of the picture).
I know that the Samyang is affected by complex "moustache" distortion, but i've seen that there is a correction profile in PTLens.
I'm still undecided, mainly because if i buy the Pentax used, and i find that i'm not using it that much, i could sell it in the future for about the same money.
Buying the Samyang 24mm T-S new is a huge investment, considering that's not a lens for everyday use...
This is why i'm investigating other possible solutions.
Adapting a shift/tilt-shift lens, even with shorter register, is not difficult, unless the difference in register is really huge. There are no electric contacts nor diaphragm levers, just a simple mechanical adaptation.
I'm curious if anybody on this forum has tried with success this route, and which lens has been used.

cheers

Paolo
02-02-2017, 09:54 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
It is a pity that with the K-1 2mm are lost in top/vertical shift. It's the movement i'd use most of the times (never used bottom/vertical, and lateral is mainly used to keep the photographer's reflection out of the picture).
It is indeed disappointing to learn. I have the lens, but don't yet have a K-1. Upward tilt, as with front rise on a view camera, is my most used movement too. One could mount the camera upside down, I suppose. Hardly ideal, of course.
02-02-2017, 12:28 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another vote for upside down when you need a few more mm of adjustment.

02-05-2017, 08:19 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It's a solution
Of course you'd need a tripod that allows to fit the head upside down and with VERY long legs!

Cheers

Paolo

02-13-2017, 12:47 PM   #21
RJH

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
It's a solution
Of course you'd need a tripod that allows to fit the head upside down and with VERY long legs!

Cheers

Paolo
Actually there is an easy way, if you have the right gear. I use the rig I have for for taking panoramas to invert the camera. No need for long legs or an inverted tripod center section plus it already has very precise level adjustment built in.

02-14-2017, 09:01 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Which gear do you use?
Can you post a pic?

cheers

P

02-24-2017, 10:03 PM   #23
RJH

Inverted thinking

Name:  tapatalk.jpg