Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2017, 06:33 PM   #1

Recommendation for L bracket for K-1

Hi fellow members,

I would like to ask if any got a good recommendation for a L-bracket for K-1?

I saw a few variations in b&H, but the comments are so varied.... that I'm not really sure which is a good 1 to get..

Please help

Cheers

02-20-2017, 06:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I decided to avoid the high cost of a custom bracket by choosing a generic bracket and I'm quite happy with my Three Legged Thing L-bracket. I previously shared a post on this item with pictures:

Universal Bracket for the K-1: Success! - PentaxForums.com
02-20-2017, 07:01 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really only know of two K1 L brackets that are available - one from RRS and one from Kirk. Both are excellent and first class manufacturers. I have used 2 different Kirk brackets (K20D and the K5). RRS is just on the other side of town (actually just down the street from my old house) where I went to college and has some of the best mechanical engineers around. Either one should do an excellent job.
02-21-2017, 08:51 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I have the kirk one and it perfect. I haven't seen the RRS one in person but looking at the pics it doesnt seems as 'customised' as the Kirk one.

02-22-2017, 04:24 AM   #5
Forum Member

I have both the Kirk and the RRS ...

RRS is very slim and it's actually a perfect match if your lenses are typically just the smaller primes. The reason I said that is L portion is positioned backwards, and it doesn't sustain the weight of the larger lenses as well. E.g. DFA15-30.

The Kirk one is much more solid when you position it on the L-portion. Doesn't move or twist. Maybe the 2 screws and the thicker block of ALU provides more resistance against movement. But it's bulkier so the additional weight may not be what you would like.

The above are the dedicated ones. I also tried the universal one from Promediagear and it's really useful before I got my RRS or the Kirk.

Last edited by Bernard Yeo; 02-22-2017 at 04:29 AM.
02-22-2017, 08:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I use modified Kirk L-plate for Canon 6D. I filed the bottom part dead flat after which it fits about perfectly and does not move or wiggle when positioned sideways. Only negative is that mic and headphone connectors are blocked. That was of course zero cost option as I had one available already but Kirk has been my favorite in the past as well.