Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2017, 01:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Aperture issue wider then 2.8 in live view?

Hello all,

Id like to get opinions on a potential issue i might have with lenses that go wider then f2.8 on the k-1.

Ive had the camera for about 6 months and ive never noticed this before. I was doing some night shots with the da55 1.4. I turned on live view started to turn my aperture from 5 where i had initially, to 1.4. Once the camera went beyond 2.8 i started hearing this weird clicking noise coming from the camera. So i turned the dial back and once it went to 2.8 it went quiet again. I turned the dial back towards 1.4 and the noise came back. I then switched the camera from live view to normal ofv mode and went through the same motion, but no odd clicking noise.

I thought it was just the lens, so i tried the fa43 limited and it did exactly the same thing. The only issue of the odd clicking noise was in live view, going wider then 2.8.

Is this normal to have an odd clicking noise in live view when the aperture goes wider then 2.8? Can someone else check to see if their k-1 exhibits the same issue?

Any help would be much appreciated.

02-23-2017, 02:46 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It depends how loud it is possibly (as the sensor is always actively held in position during live view and there is an associated small amount of noise noticeable if you listen closely).
That said I am not hearing any difference on mine changing aperture from f4 --> f2 etc.
02-23-2017, 03:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Current live view functionality is a mystery as K-1 tends to not stop down when light levels drop but sometimes it does. This makes it hard to focus correctly with lenses having focus shift. For example 24-70/2.8 has focus shift. Thus, focusing in live view during dusk or dawn may end up in failure as the lens will not be stopped down to shooting aperture until you do it manually (DoF preview switch).
02-23-2017, 07:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Current live view functionality is a mystery as K-1 tends to not stop down when light levels drop but sometimes it does. This makes it hard to focus correctly with lenses having focus shift. For example 24-70/2.8 has focus shift. Thus, focusing in live view during dusk or dawn may end up in failure as the lens will not be stopped down to shooting aperture until you do it manually (DoF preview switch).

Thanks for replying

I have everything on manual, and i dont think the fa 43 has the focus shift, but i was not trying to focus. Just adjusting the aperture, on a steady surface, with the ibis off.

I tried it again today and it definitely is loud i had the camera around two feet away from me this time with the fa 43. Anything wider then 2.8 makes a very loud distinctive clicking noise. I try it with the aperture ring in live view and in ovf mode there is no noise.

Anyone know what it could be? Should i be worried?

---------- Post added 02-23-17 at 09:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
It depends how loud it is possibly (as the sensor is always actively held in position during live view and there is an associated small amount of noise noticeable if you listen closely).
That said I am not hearing any difference on mine changing aperture from f4 --> f2 etc.

Thankyou for trying it out. Ok so you get a little bit of noise, is it more noticeable around f2 then lets say f4?

02-23-2017, 09:02 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
Thankyou for trying it out. Ok so you get a little bit of noise, is it more noticeable around f2 then lets say f4?
I don't hear any difference for any aperture I set. I tried it in LV with both bright light and dim light conditions.

Have tried turning SR on / off to see if it has an effect (although its sounding more like aperture actuator)? If you shoot in AV mode with the lens at f2.8 - f4 is the exposure correct?

Maybe post a video clip of the behaviour with the noise?
02-24-2017, 02:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

i dont think the fa 43 has the focus shift
True, it does not have focus shift issue. Just quite large field curvature which is why sometimes you see a review complaining about soft corners. Just like with Zeiss 28/2 design.
02-24-2017, 03:59 AM   #7
Unregistered User

Thanks for replying

I have everything on manual, and i dont think the fa 43 has the focus shift, but i was not trying to focus. Just adjusting the aperture, on a steady surface, with the ibis off.

I tried it again today and it definitely is loud i had the camera around two feet away from me this time with the fa 43. Anything wider then 2.8 makes a very loud distinctive clicking noise. I try it with the aperture ring in live view and in ovf mode there is no noise.

Anyone know what it could be? Should i be worried?

---------- Post added 02-23-17 at 09:00 PM ----------

Is the noise coming both when in bright and dark situation?

02-25-2017, 12:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Is the noise coming both when in bright and dark situation?
I was able to play around with the camera yesterday, and it was happening in a dark situation. When everything was bright and sunny I really did not notice the noise at all. I wouldn't think it would make much of a difference when everything is in Manual.