Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
02-28-2017, 07:22 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Pentax has always had excellent ergonomics and build quality. As soon as you pick one up, you get the felling you have a high quality camera.

02-28-2017, 07:35 AM   #17
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
It feels like a picture-taking beast, and the shutter is man, so quiet and smooth, snick snick snick.

I have some pictures taken with my FA50/1.4 on my SD card to prove the point, which I shall be examining at leisure.

The control system does, I think, everything I want it to (though I'd probably have to have it in hand for a day or so in the big wide world to really get a feel for things).

It is NOT all that much bulkier than the K-5, though yes, it is significantly larger in every respect.

HOWEVER, it is one weighty piece of kit. One immediately appreciates the difference between it, the K-5 with the same lens, card and battery (literally the same, all three were mine), and (for comparison) the MX with the same lens.

That weight (and to a lesser extent the extra volume) is a deal-breaker for day to day casual use, for someone who likes to take a camera everywhere and who has come to love and to value the (relative) compactness of even the K-5.

So... no K-1 for me until both my current DSLRs are dead.
Thanks for your thoughts on the K-1. I wouldn't hike or definitely not jog with a K-1 haha.. its a brick (weight wise). But the IQ oh the lovely IQ it can output with the right lens.
02-28-2017, 07:40 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting the way two people respond differently. I was thinking while driving to work this morning it is time to sell all the APSc gear. K-1 embodies the old "Just Hold A Pentax" line.

I don't run - I walk. The weight isn't an issue.
02-28-2017, 07:53 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
when I get back to my K-3 on a tripod, I get mad at the fixed screen...
totally - me too

02-28-2017, 08:06 AM   #20
Veteran Member

As mad as it sounds, CaNikon are losing customers to other brands thanks to fixed screens. Mostly Sony, but few go to Pentax as well. So, D500 gained tilt screen and 6DII is rumored to have one too. Maybe D820 or whatever it is follows the path.
02-28-2017, 08:08 AM - 1 Like   #21

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I have two. The Black Rapid screwed into the camera's tripod thread is my currently preferred option with heavy lenses. When I run I keep my forearm gently over the barrel of the lens to prevent too much torque on the mount.

I haven't tried it yet, but I reckon the Peak Design system (which I'm currently only using with smaller lenses) could also work well, with one attachment on the camera's left lug and the other on the lens' tripod foot. I'll give it a whirl soon and report back!
Quick word of warning on the Peak Design solution.

I have been using my Peak Design slide/sling for two years straight with no issues with either the straps or the anchors. However, I would highly recommend NOT configuring the anchors in the combination you have suggested (aka, one on the left of camera, one on the tripod foot). This is a recommendation both from experience and from the heart. Back in my FA* 80-200mm f2.8 days, I had my anchors setup in this way, and after a year of heavy use, I had created a loose fitting tripod foot ring (loosened the ring on which the foot sits on, relative to the back of the lens), which I believe is due from the increased torque from the two anchors flexing on different axis when hanging at hip height.

We would both likely agree that the DFA* 70-200mm f2.5 is built to a more durable standard than that of the FA* 80-200mm f2.8, but nonetheless, my recommendation with large lenses like this would be to get the larger "Peak Design Pro Plate" (the one with orange/red rubber), and attaching both anchors to the quick release plate. This will lessen the torque felt by both the lens mount and the tripod foot, reducing the wear and tear on both ends. If you'd like a photo of my solution, I can post one tomorrow morning!
02-28-2017, 08:40 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I saw the D-FA* 70-200. It's enormous. No. Just no. No way in Hell.
True. Don't bother with the new D-FA*70-200. Because if you do you will never go back.

---------- Post added 02-28-17 at 10:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
its a brick (weight wise). But the IQ oh the lovely IQ it can output with the right lens.
My friend has a training bag that he uses for his running sessions. His training bag is actually neatly arranged pre-weighed bricks that he can adjust for his runs every day. I was bedazzled with this at first.. but I am now thinking if I were to do it I would just run with the K-1 and a 70-200 and keep adding in case I need to adjust weight. LOL

02-28-2017, 08:59 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
True. Don't bother with the new D-FA*70-200. Because if you do you will never go back.
true dat
02-28-2017, 10:19 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That's why I did not understand folks saying the new DFA primes are too large. Somehow, the lenses and body should be balanced.
The K1 is balanced with no lens at all, so a 43 limited feels fine, as does a 31 limited. My Rokinon 85 1.4 starts to make it lean a bit.
02-28-2017, 10:54 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Joshua A Quote
Quick word of warning on the Peak Design solution.

I have been using my Peak Design slide/sling for two years straight with no issues with either the straps or the anchors. However, I would highly recommend NOT configuring the anchors in the combination you have suggested (aka, one on the left of camera, one on the tripod foot). This is a recommendation both from experience and from the heart. Back in my FA* 80-200mm f2.8 days, I had my anchors setup in this way, and after a year of heavy use, I had created a loose fitting tripod foot ring (loosened the ring on which the foot sits on, relative to the back of the lens), which I believe is due from the increased torque from the two anchors flexing on different axis when hanging at hip height.

We would both likely agree that the DFA* 70-200mm f2.5 is built to a more durable standard than that of the FA* 80-200mm f2.8, but nonetheless, my recommendation with large lenses like this would be to get the larger "Peak Design Pro Plate" (the one with orange/red rubber), and attaching both anchors to the quick release plate. This will lessen the torque felt by both the lens mount and the tripod foot, reducing the wear and tear on both ends. If you'd like a photo of my solution, I can post one tomorrow morning!
Thanks for your feedback. I'm using the peak sling everyday so I'm interested about seeing your picture of the plate you're using.
Thanks 🙏
02-28-2017, 11:12 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Pentax has always had excellent ergonomics and build quality. As soon as you pick one up, you get the felling you have a high quality camera.
As soon as I picked my K-1, the grip started creaking. Now, it creaks with every lens that is not a pancake. Too bad because I like Pentax build. Grip creaking around IR sensor ruins built quality feel totally. I also have K-5 II which I chose earlier over other cameras in a heartbeat as it suits my hand like a glove.
02-28-2017, 11:38 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Joshua A Quote

QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
Thanks for your feedback. I'm using the peak sling everyday so I'm interested about seeing your picture of the plate you're using.
The proplate is the one included with the Capture pro clip, also available alone:

Peak Design PROplate Quick-Release Plate for Capture PL-PP-1 B&H

It's a larger plate, with more grip, but the "arca swiss" part is the same as the standard plate. The larger grip really does make a difference when usinga heavy camera and lens.

That being said, with any lens equal or larger than the 60-250 (basically, any lens with a tripod foot) I prefer to hold the kit by the lens, not the camera. I have attached an anchor clip to the foot of the 60-250 myself (via a regular plate with a chamfered hold drilled in). The anchor clip can support 200 lbs so I'm not worried.
02-28-2017, 11:00 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

All this running is so unnecessary.... get a 200 series Land Cruiser* and just take everything with you.... (no need to sell anything either)

*Note: This advice does not apply to Digitalis ..... he wouldn't fit all his stuff in....
03-01-2017, 03:22 AM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
This advice does not apply to Digitalis ..... he wouldn't fit all his stuff in
*ahem* I'm fine traveling with a small dual lens Leica M kit or just the SMCP-K 50mm f/1.2 on my K-1.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-01-2017 at 03:46 AM.
03-01-2017, 03:47 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
*ahem* I'm fine traveling with a small dual lens Leica M kit or just the SMCP-K 50mm f/1.2 on my K-1.
The K50/1.2 is special on the k-1.... any way, I think you just moved a while back and probally just haven't unpacked yet.....