Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-01-2017, 09:22 PM   #1

K-1 continuous movie autofocus

The manual does not give much information about this. I was wondering if there is a way to have continuous autofocus in movie mode.

03-01-2017, 10:00 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DSLRnovice Quote
The manual does not give much information about this. I was wondering if there is a way to have continuous autofocus in movie mode.
Not with the K-1. This feature debuted on the K-70, which has on-sensor PDAF points for this purpose.

However, it doesn't work that well.

On the K-1, you can activate AF on demand by pressing the AF button.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-02-2017, 09:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Not with the K-1. This feature debuted on the K-70, which has on-sensor PDAF points for this purpose.

However, it doesn't work that well.

On the K-1, you can activate AF on demand by pressing the AF button.
And probably record lovely autofocus motor noise too, right?
03-02-2017, 05:32 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With an external Mic like the Rode units you get almost no AF sound. Works pretty well. If you use a cord and place the Mic 2 feet to the side you get no AF. The internal microphone is for 'emergencies' only.

03-02-2017, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Syntax Quote
The internal microphone is for 'emergencies' only.
Or only for the purpose of a reference track to an external audio source like I do with my K01.
03-02-2017, 08:01 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Agreed about the reference track and if you have the editing/sync capability that's the way to go. The analog to digital converter in the K-1 is definitely so-so (perhaps little better than iphone) and so an external audio source is ideal. I use the K-1 to record bands occasionally and usually try to provide both a decent video with the Rode Videomic pro and an additional digital stereo recording with an external audio recorder. There are times when dual mono output from the Rode unit actually works better than the high end audio and spaced stereo mics but usually sound quality is much better on the dedicated digital recorder. Any of the DC motor or SDM lenses give fairly quiet focus that work with the back button AF. The screw lenses are pretty loud :-).
03-03-2017, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by klkitchens Quote
And probably record lovely autofocus motor noise too, right?
It's so slow that it's actually hard to hear. Pentax has bigger fish to fry :P

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-03-2017, 12:07 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep 😄