Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-11-2017, 09:57 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
No need to format your card and lose photos. Just check it for errors by using Windows check disk programme. Type this at the command prompt:

C:\>chkdsk d: /f
Where d is assumed letter of your memory card in windows.

03-22-2017, 07:55 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I've found that when I put the card in "read only" mode with the protect switch on the card I don't have the problem anymore of the camera asking me to format the card.
06-23-2017, 09:09 AM   #18

This just happened to me as well. I always eject the card before removing from my Macbook.
06-23-2017, 06:02 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I format SD cards with the PC and delete files from them with the PC. Never had a single problem. Ever.
This is not surprising, as we are talking about a standardised file system.

I've heard the K-1's earlier firmware versions had issues with some SD cards. It may be worth updating to the latest K-1 firmware version to see if that changes anything.

P.S.: I wouldn't recommend attempts at fully formatting a card (as in covering every bit). This should not be necessary at all and the type of memory used for SD cards wears out over time. Life expectancy could still be more than enough even when torturing a card with deep formats, but there shouldn't be a reason for them in the first place.

Last edited by Class A; 06-23-2017 at 06:10 PM.
10-16-2018, 02:56 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've run into this same issue with the 645z and Windows 10. Am wondering if Windows is trying to write something to the card, like a thumbnail , that the 645Z hates.Was a Lexar 1000x card.
10-16-2018, 04:03 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I may have figured out what is going on. At some point, when Windows 10 did a major update (e.g. 1706 to 1803) it looks like a number of device drivers reverted to old ones.
Downloading the latest Realek USB 2.0 Card Reader driver from Realtek seems to have fixed this issue.
10-17-2018, 07:13 AM   #22

Still happening to me. Downloaded a few photos to my Macbook and now getting the card not formatted message. The card was ejected properly. Unfortunately I didn't turn my camera on until I was in the mountains and had to use another camera because I didn't want to lose all the photos on the card.

05-02-2019, 08:23 AM   #23
Forum Member

Unless you write-protect the card, both Windows and OSX may attempt to write hidden files to the root of the card. These files are for folder display options and thumbnail indexing. These files tend to confuse the camera. If you cannot write-protect the card, there is a program I use on the mac which keeps those pesky files from being written called BlueHarvest. Also what can confuse the camera is formatting while connected to a PC. There are volume names and special directories which the camera looks for. There are also different types of file formats and partition schemes. Windows also has an "issue" with external drives and may mark a partition as "non-removable". The rule of thumb is to always use the format command from the camera's menu and never write to that card with another camera or PC. If you move the card to another camera, re-format the card inside the camera which will use it. Cards are cheap. Buy spares and if any card gives you an error, chuck it.
05-03-2019, 04:39 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I did the same thing today; was in a hurry and pulled the card out of the computer without ejecting it first. The camera reported the formatting issue as soon as I tried to use it. I did this using a Mac computer. I put the card back into the computer, ran the Disk Utility First Aid routine, and it fixed the issue - no pictures lost. Whew...
05-04-2019, 07:24 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I often have the same problem when I download images from my K1 Mark II SD cards to my iMac using Lightroom. When I put the card back into the camera almost everytime I get a card not formatted message. I do lock the card everytime before putting it into my computer now in order to prevent corruption of data. I think it is a lightroom problem more than anything,
05-04-2019, 07:45 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I always reformat in the camera anyway. That would be a good reminder. Way too often I forget to reformat and end up with full card, because I shot 800 images the day before.