Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2017, 04:28 AM   #16

Original Poster
If I'm going to shoot only RAW and no jpg (as suggested), then will the crop functions have any affect on speed?

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the crop function, because I find the viewfinder effect a little clumsy, my eye is still looking at the full frame and not inside the black line. Also, on the 70-200mm it's already pretty tight.

---------- Post added 03-14-17 at 04:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
What brand and model?

Worth noting, perhaps, that not all SD cards are what they claim to be ... Some measure their specifications very idiosyncratically, many cards are also simply counterfeit, particularly if bought online. Hence many a card may not perform as claimed.

Also did you format your cards in-camera? Remember that 64GB SD cards need to be formatted exFAT, vs FAT32 for 32 to 4GB GB cards. Formatting outside the camera (eg on a PC) can sometimes mess up the file system, which may compromise performance.
They're SanDisk 'extreme pro' cards. A little scratched on the cover but I assume all good! I will format in-camera just to be certain...

03-14-2017, 04:42 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dericali Quote
I'm using 2x 64gb SD cards with 90mbs (or thereabouts) write speed.

How do you know about the 90mbs?

Usually these are READ speeds and only fantasy.

The "class" identfier is the only thing about write speed.
Anyhow the camera wont write faster than about 22-30 MB/sec whatever card you use.
03-14-2017, 05:53 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My solution to this issue is when I need speed, shoot with my K-3. The K-1 feels like a complete dud in comparison.
03-14-2017, 07:38 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My solution to this issue is when I need speed, shoot with my K-3. The K-1 feels like a complete dud in comparison.
That's funny you write this because last saturday I was shooting landscapes with my 20-35mm on the K1 and I stumbled on a rowing competition on the lake.
By Chance I had the Pentax 70-200mm on my camera bag, switched the lens and for the first time I used the APSC mode on the K1. Wow what a difference with the FF speed !!

Burst mode It's almost as fast as the K3, buffer is great (still some way to go but it was an improvment over FF buffer) and the dynamic range is great too.
For the first time I realised I've got 2 cameras in 1, for some reason since 4 months I've had the K1 I never tried the Crop mode. It was super nice being able to switch mode, from FF to Crop sensor, depending on the type of image I wanted, say Crop mode when it was 200mm action shots and FF when it was 70mm group are farther away shots.
K1 is great

03-14-2017, 09:25 AM - 3 Likes   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
That's funny you write this because last saturday I was shooting landscapes with my 20-35mm on the K1 and I stumbled on a rowing competition on the lake.
By Chance I had the Pentax 70-200mm on my camera bag, switched the lens and for the first time I used the APSC mode on the K1. Wow what a difference with the FF speed !!

Burst mode It's almost as fast as the K3, buffer is great (still some way to go but it was an improvment over FF buffer) and the dynamic range is great too.
For the first time I realised I've got 2 cameras in 1, for some reason since 4 months I've had the K1 I never tried the Crop mode. It was super nice being able to switch mode, from FF to Crop sensor, depending on the type of image I wanted, say Crop mode when it was 200mm action shots and FF when it was 70mm group are farther away shots.
K1 is great
Exactly, it's the same feeling I have, and when taking those shots were zoom is just not enough and images will have to be cropped either way, it's a great option to have, sometimes even those were speed becomes the main problem.
Sure I don't like to waste pixies and it's something to use purposely, on the other hand 15Mpx it's not that bad, and we keep the dynamic range.
03-14-2017, 02:32 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dericali Quote
If I'm going to shoot only RAW and no jpg (as suggested), then will the crop functions have any affect on speed?
The APS-C crop will, as it only reads out (or uses) part of the sensor and only processes less than 1/2 of the data of a FF shot. Square crop doesn't make much of a difference.
08-01-2017, 09:09 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Indeed, with the square crop the full 36MP RAW is saved (with the appropriate crop tags) - however the embedded JPEGs are cropped. I'm not sure if that's enough to make a (tiny) difference.
Software like Silkypix or Pentax DCU can extract the full (non-cropped) image from a square crop RAW. I couldn't find any way of doing the same in Lightroom, and I guess some other applications might even ignore the crop tags.
I'm sorry for bringing this topic back up but it's the only reference I could find.
At the cost of feeling slightly stupid, I can't seem to find a way to extract the full image from a square crop in DCU. How would one do that? Or am I missing that feature because I'm using DNG?

08-01-2017, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

That's a very good question, as it's not an intuitive operation.

Open the image in Laboratory (the Browser won't do).
Open the Windows menu, make sure Cropping is selected. You should have the Cropping tool window in the bottom-left corner. In that window:
Check "apply" to be able to change settings
Press the button next to "apply" - see attached image. This will allow you to see the whole picture.
Choose an aspect ratio which will allow you to change the current selection to the entire image, for example "Undefined".
Use the mouse to resize the selection area.

Just to be clear: this only works with square (1:1) crops. There's nothing to recover from an APS-C cropped RAW.
Attached Images

08-01-2017, 11:54 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
That's a very good question, as it's not an intuitive operation.

Open the image in Laboratory (the Browser won't do).
Open the Windows menu, make sure Cropping is selected. You should have the Cropping tool window in the bottom-left corner. In that window:
Check "apply" to be able to change settings
Press the button next to "apply" - see attached image. This will allow you to see the whole picture.
Choose an aspect ratio which will allow you to change the current selection to the entire image, for example "Undefined".
Use the mouse to resize the selection area.

Just to be clear: this only works with square (1:1) crops. There's nothing to recover from an APS-C cropped RAW.
Man, it was *that* easy. I did have a look at all the options but somehow I managed to overlook the most obvious one. I do feel fully stupid now indeed. Thanks for the walkthrough!