Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-14-2017, 10:27 PM   #1

K-1 IBIS Failure?

Hi all,

I recently got a second hand K-1 off of Ebay, and so far things have been great. The image quality is amazing - I've currently got it paired with the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 art (my only FF lens), but surprisingly even the DA 35mm f/2.4 works pretty good too. The 35mm focal length on FF is just so versatile for my needs (mostly landscape and walking around photography) and I almost never find myself wanting a zoom - I can usually achieve the composition I want just by walking around. I wish there was an equivalent for APS-C, like a 20mm wide aperture prime.. Maybe its that I don't use the 50mm FF equivalent as much; I just didn't find myself reaching for the DA 35mm when using a K-50. Anyways, overall I've had no issue at all with the camera. The screen and camera look almost brand new.

I noticed some dust specks the other day on the sensor when using a small aperture, which I easily got rid of using the mirror lockup and a blower from the dust removal kit. However, it was at this point I also noticed that the startup and shutdown Dust removal actions had been checked, but the camera hadn't been making a strong shaking motion like it did with my K-50. I normally notice if startup/shutdown dust removal is on for it. Instead it just makes a short, high pitched whine. Same thing happened when I manually selected the Dust Removal Function. Does this mean the IBIS system is busted, or is it just quieter and less obtrusive when removing dust? Is IBIS failure for the K-1 relatively common?

Thanks all in advance for your feedback!

Edit: never mind, some googling has now solved my problem. Feel free to bash me on my foolishness or my bad choice in lens focal length

https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/k1-sensor-clean-function-56718/p-0\

Last edited by twomonger; 03-14-2017 at 10:32 PM. Reason: lack of research on my part
03-14-2017, 11:35 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

As you have discovered, the dust removal function is ultrasonic:
QuoteQuote:
DRII (Dust Removal II) mechanism
Effective removal of foreign particles from the image sensor

Using its piezoelectric element, this innovative mechanism applies ultrasonic vibrations to the optical glass panel placed in front of the image sensor. This effectively removes all dust particles clinging to the image sensor surface, and prevents annoying dust spots from appearing on a captured image.

Features2 | PENTAX K-1 | RICOH IMAGING
03-15-2017, 12:09 AM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twomonger Quote
I noticed some dust specks the other day on the sensor when using a small aperture, which I easily got rid of using the mirror lockup and a blower from the dust removal kit. However, it was at this point I also noticed that the startup and shutdown Dust removal actions had been checked, but the camera hadn't been making a strong shaking motion like it did with my K-50. I normally notice if startup/shutdown dust removal is on for it. Instead it just makes a short, high pitched whine. Same thing happened when I manually selected the Dust Removal Function. Does this mean the IBIS system is busted, or is it just quieter and less obtrusive when removing dust? Is IBIS failure for the K-1 relatively common?
The K-1 (and all other non-consumer Pentax models) has DR II, which is ultrasonic and thus almost inaudible. This system is also more effective than the loud DR. Enjoy

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-15-2017, 03:51 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twomonger Quote
I wish there was an equivalent for APS-C, like a 20mm wide aperture prime..
I use(d) the 21 Ltd for the walking around business - to go wide aperture you are going to give up so much .. like AF, and the small size.

03-15-2017, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Dust removal makes high pitched whine which can be heard. This is perfectly normal during startup/shutdown.
03-15-2017, 07:05 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
I use(d) the 21 Ltd for the walking around business - to go wide aperture you are going to give up so much .. like AF, and the small size.
Ah! I've thought long and hard about buying the Samyang in the past. I initially was only thinking about using it for astrophotography, so the lack of AF wasn't a problem, though AF would make it a more useful lens during the day. But that lens, as with many of the ones from cheap Korean (Rokinon, etc) manufacturers, seem to have a reputation very serious quality control issues and cheap build quality. I enjoy photography, and am more than happy to dedicate a lot of my time practicing and learning techniques. I have much less interest in spending time taking lots of test shots to see if a lens has problems, wasting time and money returning and exchanging lenses, or worse yet driving out to a dark sky site only to find all of the pictures are unusuable. It's a shame too, because reviews seem to suggest it is really sharp (when working), gives great images, and is ideally suited for astrophotography. I only hope that Pentax releases a serious wide-angle prime in the next few years, though things are looking hopeful with it appear on the roadmap. It'd likely do double duty as an astrophotography lens on the K-1 and a walk around lens for APS-C camera. Or I hope that Sigma changes its mind and decides to continue supporting K-mount (though the 24mm art seems to have issues with "coma").

For me, compactness isn't as important, even when going on long hikes. I really don't notice my camera + camera bag when I'm carrying a much heavier backpack and supplies. Furthermore, for me I feel like a super compact lens is only part of the equation. The camera itself is a good portion of the weight too, and I don't even mind having a heaver lens since it gives the whole setup a more balanced feel. This might be heresy to say here, but I honestly would prefer to use a wider aperture and sharper lens might even be significantly heavier over a much more compact 21mm f/3.2. At $500, I'd also seriously have to consider paying a few hundred more and getting the 18-35 f/1.8 Art, which could replace a whole range of primes. Though I'll certainly try to remain open-minded! If I can find a 21mm f/3.2 for cheap I might give it a shot!