Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
03-19-2017, 10:38 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DNG vs PEF?

My K-1 arrived today! I noticed it shoots .PEF in raw, I'm used to (and have codec support for) .DNG files, is there any difference between the two? They seem to take up the same amount of space/size...

Cheers,

Bruce

03-19-2017, 10:45 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just change it, Bruce.
03-19-2017, 10:46 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are plenty of threads on the topic if you look at the similar thread links below, TD;LR, there is no practical difference and no reason not to always shoot DNG if you use adobe software.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-19-2017, 10:48 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can choose PEF or DNG in the menu of the K-1. Don't have mine handy or I'd tell you exactly where.

Have fun. The K-1 rocks!!

03-19-2017, 11:12 PM   #5
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
My K-1 arrived today! I noticed it shoots .PEF in raw, I'm used to (and have codec support for) .DNG files, is there any difference between the two? They seem to take up the same amount of space/size...

Cheers,

Bruce
As everyone else has said here, change it to .DNG for shooting RAW. There's better support across platforms compared to .PEF.

Enjoy the new camera, I went from a K5 to the K-1 and the six years was well spent by Pentax in making an awesome camera.

Tas
03-20-2017, 12:00 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeh sorry i didn't explain myself properly, I meant that i noticed that you could toggle between the two, just that was there a difference between the two in terms of quality etc. Windows 10 natively supports DNG i noticed (have not had to install a file viewer/codec), .PEF is not natively supported. What uses .PEF's then? Is DNG an adobe thing exclusively?
03-20-2017, 12:28 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Way back in time .pef had an advantage in being a compressed format while .dng was not, now however .dng is also compressed (lossless of course) so…

03-20-2017, 12:52 AM   #8
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Is DNG an adobe thing exclusively?
No, it is more widely adopted as a standard than .PEF, hence the future viability of a .DNG file is likely to be better than a proprietary system. I also read somewhere that .DNG will become an ISO standard, if so it would improve it's future viability.

I'd recommend you take the same image using both formats and add your assessment of the two files as well. You might prefer the PEF files in which case your question will become which change from which file type to which processing software supports K-1 PEF files.

Good luck mate.

Tas
03-20-2017, 02:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I would use DNG unless there is a specific reason not to.

DNG has gone through various versions and has thus suffered from forward compatibility i.e. unless you had the latest Lightroom you could not read it. The last Nokia phones generated the very latest version of DNG which almost nothing other than the very latest could import. I have a vague recollection of the Sony A7 doing something similar. This is completely pointless...

But the K1 generates an old and widely supported version of DNG. I have no problem importing it into Lightroom 3.6 (which I still have on an old winXP machine), ACDSEE v7 and some other stuff which is years old.
03-20-2017, 02:19 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote
I would use DNG unless there is a specific reason not to.
I'd actually turn that on its head and say I would use PEF unless there is a specific reason not to such as usage of Adobe raw software. All other raw converters seem to do fine with PEF and, while DNG isn't any worse than PEF, it's not any better either. On top of that, should the need arise in future, you can always convert PEF to DNG but you can never convert DNG to PEF - it's a one-way street.
03-20-2017, 02:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Sure there will be user specific angles on this. But say for example someone keeps the raw files long-term (instead of jpegs). Most image viewers don't support PEF while most do support DNG. PEF is a pentax-only thing.
03-20-2017, 02:54 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

DNG is the Red Pill, and PEF is the Blue Pill. You've gotta choose.
03-20-2017, 05:28 PM   #13
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote
Most image viewers don't support PEF while most do support DNG.
I don't believe this is true, at least, in the Windows world. IrfanView, FastStone, FastPictureViewer all read PEF files.
03-20-2017, 06:11 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cpk Quote
I don't believe this is true, at least, in the Windows world. IrfanView, FastStone, FastPictureViewer all read PEF files.
If you install the PEF codec. Viewers don't really read RAW files anyway. They mostly just display the JPEG preview. The exception would be FastRawViewer...

About | FastRawViewer
03-20-2017, 09:01 PM   #15
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
If you install the PEF codec.
Good point, but whether or not they read the jpeg preview or the actual raw file should not be an issue since one is only "viewing" the file. I will look into FastRawViewer.